PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A while back, I was looking online at tobacco leaf cutters to try making my own pipe tobacco.

Fortunately, I guess, I caught myself and decided that was more equipment and bother than

I wanted for a gentle bowl of blend. However, some out there are doing this, starting with

the leaf itself and aging and cutting it into smokable product. Like blending, I suspect there

is far more to it than you'd think. Also, legal restrictions. More out of curiosity than ambition

to do this, I ask, has anyone tried this, and how did it go?

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yeah Mike I started to do a little research on some leaf tobacco, and the information is so generic you don't know what the hell it's going to taste like. It's almost like they cut and paste from each others site. The answers may be found if some information can be beatin out of some of the main blenders, but I doubt their giving it up.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you think about how many cents it costs to smoke a bowl of pipe tobacco it does not seem to make economic sense. A blend like SG Best Brown flake can be bought for 9.00 a tin and that works out to 72 cents a bowl at 4 grams per bowl.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Yup... Leave it to the pros on this one.
But if you wanna buy 100lbs of tobacco leaf, put it in a barrel, pour a bottle or two of your favorite spiced rum in there, and put it in a press for a few months... go ahead. :puffy:
And you better post pictures, or we will find you, and make you smoke the most horrible amalgam of cherry blends imaginable.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I have processed a lot of leaf into pipe tobacco and it is a lot harder to come up with something good then you may think. Unless you are in it for the adventure, I'd say leave the processing to the professionals. It can be downright frustrating!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect there are some tobacco farmers who harvest and cook a nice little batch of their own

(pipe tobacco in this case is what I mean) and enjoy their private blend and eliminate the

middleman. It almost seems you could reduce an aged leaf with scissors and rub it down

with your fingers. But as they used to say in the fleet, "Dream on, sailor boy." You'd have to

have the right leaf, and it would have to be cured the right way, or it would be bland or raw.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe what I need to do is go to a tobacco processing outfit and see what they do.

After beholding the number of processes and the investment and overhead, a

ten buck tin of upscale tobacco, or a six buck bag of bulk will look like a steal.

But I think mikephillips has the spirit here, to explore the doing and draw

conclusions from that. So much going on in a simple bowl of tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.