PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I have for some time read all the good reviews of C&D Star of the East, and kept promising myself some. Last weekend, I found a tin in a B&M pipe shop, and brought it home with great expectations. Was really disappointed. Not sure why; I've been smoking English/Balkan blends for nearly 20 years, but it just didn't do anything for me. Finished a third bowl last night, and it still just doesn't fit me. FWIW, Maltese Falcon has recently become one of my top blends, along with Westminster, Quiet Nights, Nightcap, MM965, Froggy's blends, Blackhouse, etc. I really like latakia, even sometimes straight.
I'm not knocking SOE, just commenting that something about it doesn't fit me. At 70, my taste buds are not as refined as many of yours are, so I can't really qualify my experience.
Any suggestions?

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I thought 10-Midnight similar to Star of the East but better. The Orientals are there but less "dirty" if that makes sense. Maybe less sour would be a better description. Balkan blends have been very love it or hate it for me, while English blends tend to be a little more nuanced and come down to what I like better rather than what I won't smoke again. Hope that makes sense!

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Im curious have you had Lancer Slices or Penzance? I kinda lump SOTE with those as the Virginias pair well with the latakia to give an incense(y) feel to them. Where as I lump Nightcap, Engine99, English Oriental etc with the Burley, perique in the more dark and spicy catagory. Maybe you prefer the latter camp..

Mar 1, 2014
I have 5 out of the 6 other blends that you mention and I like Star of the East more than all of them. I'm betting this is either a case of sample variation or just differences in taste.
SotE has some musty "rotting hay" note that's almost absent from Blackhouse, Nightcap and 965. Those have more of a "charred" flavour and are all in a different category of English blend for me.

Quiet Nights is a more straightforward blend (and is very good), and the Frogs seem closer to SotE than something like Nightcap.
I wouldn't be worried about missing anything if you have all those and don't find SotE anything special.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I liked Penzance about 10 or so years back, when you could get it regularly, before it took off. I have some in the cellar; may break some out.
Texmexpipe: sour might be a descriptive term. Just surprised me, again, since I've been into Latakia so long.
Frozenchurchwarden: I'm guessing it is simply my tastes telling me who's in charge. Thanks for the feedback.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Welcome back Checotah! I have not had the SOE, so not much help there, but my fave's are in line with yours, Westminster, Blackhouse, QuietNights, et.al.........

Put it in a jar and let it breathe for a few weeks......... sometimes that does wonders for a tin, especially an old one..... :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Checotah:
If I'm not reaching for the current iteration of Nightcap than I'm reaching for a jar of SOTE. (Not too many years ago SOTE was billed as the "new" Penzance. Lord knows, it's not, but go figure.)
Some really seasoned smokers have weighed in and can bring more insight than me. When my taste buds are burned out on Nightcap I smoke SOTE. It seems lighter to me and gives me a nice break. Or, sometimes I'll grab a jar of Old Ironsides, or Montford Point Marines or Lancers Slices.
At the same time, I admire Greg Pease immensely and wish his Lat forward blends did more for me.
Our tastes change and maybe my one of favorite tobaccos doesn't buzz your buttons. Thankfully, we're U.S. bound and have a hundred or so to select from.
Fnord

I like it a lot, but I'm not a big latakia smoker. It fills the bill for me in the dead of cold weather, when a VaPer or Virginia doesn't taste as preveant because of the cold. It also ages well. I bought a five poumd bag three years ago, and this past winter, the one jar I smoked was excellent, and I'm looking forward to another 2oz jar this coming winter. This will last me quite a while at this rate, ha ha. Maybe if someone smokes a lot of different latakia blends, it might not be a Holy Grail smoke. But, for a once a year thing, it has a smokey sour that I like.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Put it in a jar and let it breathe for a few weeks......... sometimes that does wonders for a tin, especially an old one..... :puffy:

This. I find very few blends shine right from the tin without breathing first. With the exception of dunhill blends.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm betting it's just a taste difference thing. I really, really like SOTE, and have since my first bowl, but some commonly raved-about blends just don't do it for me, so I feel your pain. For example, I find Escudo to be extraordinarily bland; most seem to love it. I think Prince Albert has a great taste and smoke it often; some guys wouldn't mulch their garden with the stuff. Different strokes, and all that.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for the replies.
I have placed the rest of the tin contents into a jar, rehydrated it some (was rather dry, which may have contributed to the experience), and will let it age a bit. If, after that, it still doesn't make me smile, I have a good friend locally to whom I can give it.
BeefEater33: thanks for the welcome. Didn't know anyone realized I had been off the forum since I don't post that much.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I just traded for some Star of the East but it was a gift. I didnt even sample any. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.