PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Anyone familiar with this Stanwell? Nice pipe or ? Comparable to ?
il_570xn1234225659_ens0.jpg

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
The Night and Day, Vario, and Classic model lines have the light accent ring.

This looks like the Classic line with width and sharp edges of the ring best matching yours, plus the distinctive blasting.

Some in this line come atop a tobacco jar, some have "Classic" as a metal inlay.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
On the opposite side of the shank, they have a brass tag with nothing written on it. The seller wants 45 + 7 shipping. Pipe comes new in box with sock. Has 3.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
On the opposite side of the shank, they have a brass tag with nothing written on it

So, a Classic model Stanwell, a second... without the word on the tag!?

And that's easily half the price of the ones I've seen with "Classic" stamped correctly.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Don't they usually put those engraving plates on their Pipe of the Year model? That's a beauty. I saw those and almost bought them...but I'm trying to learn self control HA! Needless to say I have cut my fingers off and am typing this message with bloody nubs. Must........resist.........pipe......purchase!

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Don't they usually put those engraving plates on their Pipe of the Year model?
Yes, but POTY also has a sterling silver ring, not wood, like we have on this pipe.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Ah...looks like it could be a Stanwell made to go to a store, but never made it through the whole process. I think I found a final version of it's twin.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=190562

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
There's also a super cool hexagon or octagon shank Stanwell if I remember correctly. I will live vicariously through your purchase haha! I'm trying to save for an Eltang poker, which has been my Grail pipe for a long time. It's hard to fight off very affordable distractions haha.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
The pipe shown has shape no. 140 and according to Basil Stevens it was designed by Jess Chonowitsch.

It's a great smoker by the way as is its close relative no. 139, likewise designed by Jess Chonowitsch.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.