PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I am looking to check out a new pipe to collect, preferably in the $150 range or less. Between Stanwell and Savinelli, which would you recommend and why? Which lines would you recommend inside those two brands?
Thanks

Aug 1, 2012
I don't have a whole lot of information for you but my Savinelli is a great pipe. It is an estate Punto Oro bulldog I picked up at the pipe shop in Jackson, Wy for a little under $50. After a little resto work it smokes like a dream.
Sou

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
a sav Capri root briar 606 is my only sav. I have a stanwell 19 and a 191, I honestly couldn't pic between the two brands based on these 3 pipes...the stanwells have Lucite stems and sav has vulcanite, not sure if that's standard of the brands. There both outstanding IMHO

BTW all three of those are in the $100 range new

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I went with the Stanwell becuase I already had 2 Savinelli Linea Piu's both are excellent smokers and the Stanwell is as well. I don't think you could go wrong between the two.
gd19.jpg

lpu5c.jpg

May 31, 2012
I'm a Stannyman, so I'd say go with the ~S~ Crown!!!
If you like the Vario finish, they're this months special from Chuck

over at Charle's Pipe Collectibles

...he's a proper stand-up guy too!
Or, if you're more leaning toward Savinelli, I guess since I'm broke & won't be able to get it anyway, I had my eye on one of these new-old-stock Nonpareil pipes, with real horn instead of the newer composite material they use, fairly priced over at James Island Piper's Place
Oddly, now that Stanwell production has moved, we're talking about both brands being Italian made!
If however, you'd rather have a Made in Denmark Stanwell, there's still a few around stateside, but a wide selection can be seen over

in, ahem, Italy...

- - via Bollitopipe - - -

...those DeLuxe pipes sell for $85.58 then add $17.55 for shipping, not too bad really and amazing how quickly the pipe arrives!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have to say that I have never had any luck with Savinelli. I have owned a few and all seem to have issues. Smoke too hot, gurgle, stems go loose...etc. My Stanwells, on the other hand, have always been trouble free smokers. I don't mean to bash Savinelli, but my experience between the two leads me to recommend Stanwell over Savinelli.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I ilike 'em both. Over the years I have had about 3 or 4 of each and never had any problem with any of them. I have to add though, that all of the ones I have ever owned were estates that were older, so I can't speak about the quality of a new one.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Can't speak to Stanwells...never owned one. I've had several Savs, and just based on my experience, I'd only recommend the Hercules line. I have 3 of them that are good smokers...but my experience with a couple of other Sav lines has been about the same as what ohin3 described.
Considering the price range you mentioned, I'd highly recommend looking at Lucianos...lots of pipe for the money there, IMO.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i have 2 of each and i'd say go with stanwell, unless you really have to have a vulcanite stem.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The problem with buying Petes is that they sometimes have quality issues. If you get a good one then it is great. Stanwells and (as far as I know) Savinellis never seem to suffer from this. They are safer to buy online since you know you won't be getting a dud.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
@Chris Not sure yet. I have owned both early on in my pipe smoking career, but drifted away into other brands. So, I thought I would seek some feedback because I have no idea on whether Stanwell or Savenelli's are any good at the lower end. Aside from that, I prefer blasts/rusticated pipes and light weight. I have noticed that Stanwell's have more pipes available in the lighter range than Stanwell.
Thanks for the input so far, lets keep them coming.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
In my experience, Stanwell's just barely edge out Savinelli's in quality and fit and finish. If you're looking for smaller pipes, Stanwell is also the better choice because, in general, they tend to be smaller than most Savinelli's. The Stanwell Featherweight line is nice. I have a Vario Featherweight #243 that is so light I barely notice it in my gob (I'm a clencher.) Beyond that, it's a matter of whether you like the Italian styled pipes or Danish styled pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.