Stanwell: Last Year of Danish Production?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Barling Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Does anyone know exactly when Stanwell shifted production from DK to Italy? I'm thinking, specifically, about the Pipe of the Year. Any other info about who owns the Stanwell brand now, and why they moved to Italy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Answered it myself:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:da7yztD-g2MJ:www.cigarweekly.com/magazine/cw_news/06-05-2009/stanwell-pipe-factory-closing
Stanwell Pipe Factory Closing
In order to further strengthen and develop Stanwell pipes it has been decided to move the pipe production from the factory in Borup, Denmark, to an external partner.
The future contract manufacturer will be a company with a long history of producing pipes of a quality, which can match the present superior quality of Stanwell.
The future set-up will ensure that in the years to come Stanwell will maintain the high quality of the Stanwell pipes at competitive prices. The continued drop in sales of pipes in Denmark and on Stanwell’s many export markets has made it difficult to maintain a cost-efficient production at the Stanwell factory. The number of pipes sold annually has thus since 1995 dropped from 126,000 to 65,000 in 2008.
The change will regrettably affect 17 employees at the production facility in Borup Denmark, and we regret to have to say goodbye to trusted employees and a unique era of pipe production in Denmark.
The production at Stanwell’s present factory will be phased out gradually during the coming months, and the factory in Borup will be finally closed by December 31, 2009.
All Stanwell employees will be offered an individual plan ensuring the best possible preparation for re-entry into the labour market.
Søren Lundh Aagaard, Managing Director of Stanwell A/S, will continue to be responsible for the Stanwell activities after the closing of the factory. The company will continue to develop and market quality pipes in exclusive designs and secure the future of the Stanwell pipe brand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had never owned a Stanwell until several months ago, and wasn't sure, when I ordered a new one -- a bulldog 32-- if I would

get a pipe made in Italy or one of the old inventory. I somewhat hoped I'd get an old one; there are still some around. But my

Stanwell came marked "Danish Design," that is, made in Italy. This is only one pipe, but it is everything people like about their

Stanwells, so I am content. I'd order another Stanwell if I were moved to do so.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I just got my first Stanwell a couple of weeks ago (Golden Danish 98 - Lovat). The tobacconist said it was made in Italy. It has an amazing ring grain blast, and smokes like a champ. I've been breaking it in with a little GL Pease Cumberland! If this pipe is any indication of the quality of the Italian made Stanwell's, I would gladly buy another one.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
For anyone looking for a Denmark made Stanwell site sponsor
www.cupojoes.com
Still has some in stock. Click on the link that says Pipes on their home page in the left side column. Then you will see many links in a list. Select Stanwells made in Denmark.
If you click on the Stanwell link directly on their home page you will get Italian production.
I hope this information is helpful.
Doug

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I was lucky to find a good deal on a '90s Stanwell on Ebay, and am of course as happy as could be. I'm not buying any more pipes for the near future, but when I'm back on the market I hope to get another MID Stanwell and a MIL to compare. I'm sure whatever reasons they had for moving were valid and that they'll be maintaining quality. After all, the Italians know what they're doing with briar.

Also, I had no idea they moved that early. Thought it was more recent. I always learn something here!

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Ohio:
See my earlier post on this thread. You can still get Danish made Stanwell pipes. One of our site sponsors still has some in inventory.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm sure whatever reasons they had for moving were valid and that they'll be maintaining quality. After all, the Italians know what they're doing with briar.
I think that you miss the point. Stanwell Pipes are no longer made by Stanwell in the Stanwell factory. The name was sold, the factory closed. The personal pride of turning out one of the finest machine-made pipes in the world was what set Stanwell apart. Read up on Stanwell history, and what went on in the Borup factory. It was a unique place, where the combination of Danish design and Danish craftsmanship blended with a mechanical process designed and operated by Stanwell employees to produce a superior product.
Take note that they don't identify where the pipes are now made. It isn't a factory owned by whoever now owns the Stanwell name. It is simply just another Italian pipe factory, turning out product for one of it's many customers.
The culture of Stanwell probably passed with Poul Nielsen, but it took a little while to reach the finality of closing the factory. It is no different than what has happened to many great companies once they are sold. The new owners fail to realize that the most important asset that they bought is the company culture and the good will of it's employees.
I now own my first Italian Stanwell. I like it, because it smokes well, and the shape is very comfortable, but the workmanship is subpar, that Stanwell glow, the magic, is gone.
An era has passed.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
It is indeed sad that "globalization" and the worship of "economism" has claimed yet another cultural icon.
Don't get me started.
That said, among my Stanwells I have an Italian, and have to admit it's a pretty good pipe. I like it. Worth the brand's mark-up? Probably not. But hey, the shareholders and consultants have to be paid. Besides, "All Stanwell employees will be offered an individual plan ensuring the best possible preparation for re-entry into the labour market," so it's all good.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The last time that I checked, Denmark will keep folks on the dole until they can find the same work, at the same wages, elsewhere. So they just have to wait until that next big new pipe factory starts hiring.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I bought this one as a Christmas present for myself in 2009. It is Danish, and a good little pipe. I'm smoking McConnell latakia flake in it now.

stanr-1113-600x448.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I have two Stanwells, both Danish Design, ie Italian, pipes. I absolutley love both of them. My personal experience with Italian pipes in general has been pretty foul. A sav seconds churchwarden that couldn't keep up, and the 316ks disaster I posted about recently. I combined parts of the two to make a pipe that sits in a box on top of my fridge. I don't even want to look at it. That said, my Italian Stanwells are good quality, dependable pipes. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
So I have a question then... are all Italian made Stanwell's marked Danish Design or DD? Thus, if you do not have that stamp, it is a Danish Made pipe?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The other question is, what happened to the people and equipment in Borup? Are some of those people off on their own now?

Status
Not open for further replies.