PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Picked this up at my local B&M today and had to pick it up. It's. My first Stanwell, it's as light as a feather and the straight grain is impressive. Sorry for the crappy pics, but all I have is my BlackBerry. I love that I can't even feel it in my mouth, first bowl so far is quite nice.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Stanwells are great pipes. I've had quite a few of their featherweights. My favorite is a bent billiard, No. 123, light as a feather. I'd go so far as to say that Stanwell represents the best buy in a factory turned pipe. Can't go wrong with a Stanwell.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
And Pat, aren't you impressed it isn't a straight billiard? LOL, decided to go with something a little different.

Dec 24, 2012
Love the bent dublin. One of the best shapes in all pipedom, in my view. Stem looks very comfortable. Congrats.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Great pipe. I love it. A classic Danish shape -- and you can't go wrong with Stanwell.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Like I said, cant even feel the stem in my mouth. Might just be the most comfortable pipe I own now. I was looking for something small and light, this fit the bill perfectly. The bowl is nice and thick, didnt even get slightly warm to the touch. I think this is going to become a favorite.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have a featherweight poker and I really like it, but yours seems to pack a lot of chamber capacity in to the featherweight format. Very nice design. I'd never noticed this shape before, but I'd consider it the next time I'm looking for a Stanwell.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
That pipe looks good, brdavidson. I recently got a featherweight also, and I haven't even started to break it in yet.
featherweight_zpsb43ad4b9.jpg

I think I'll smoke 1-Q in mine because that's my "public" tobacco and I think it will be a good pipe to carry around.
Let us know how yours smokes after you have had it a while.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Beautiful pipe. I love the shape and the grain. This is the first I've heard of the featherweights. Now I'm going to have to check them out!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
It weighed in at 33gms and the slight bend is perfect for clenching. The bit is very comfortable and the walls very thick. I didn't get the pipe out until it was dark last night as you can see, and I didn't notice until this morning the beautiful bird's eye on the plateau of the bowl. I've never seen that before (in my limited experience) but it is quite nice.
Philip I'll let you know, but I had two half bowls in it yesterday and it smoke just fine. I'll have another bowl this afternoon and see how it goes. I have a feeling that this will become one of my favourites along with my Rattray's Billiard and Savinelli Billiard.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I predict you now have a new favourite pipe for lunting. Would "lunter" be an appropriate term in that context?
-- Pat

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I think lunter is appropriate Pat. If not, be a trend setter and start using it. I am sure it will catch on :)

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
I picked up a 304 from pipes and cigars and is being broken in now. I find it smokes better without a filter. It's my third Stanwell, and I love em all;Paid 60 bucks and got a 10 buck coupon for my next purchase. Quite a good deal. (304=bent rusticated featherweight 9mm)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've admired Stanwell featherweights and I'm glad to hear they live up to expectation.

It's a handsome pipe. Can't beat the light weight for clenching; it saves your teeth.

Good pick.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have had my eye on featherweights also. I have recently purchased three Stanwells on ebay, all around 5" in length. They are great clenchers and quickly becoming my favorites.

That is one nice pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.