PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm getting a Stanwell handsome smooth churchwarden next week, but I'm a little confused about Stanwell's standing insofar as its origins. I gather it started as a Danish pipe, and is now moved to England. So is Stanwell considered a British pipe or a Danish one? A little thing, but this kind of stuff makes me nuts. Thoughts, anyone?

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Considering some of their designers are the juggernauts of the Danish pipe scene and the long history of Stanwell, I would call them Danish. And to the best of my knowledge, the factory is now in Italy, not England.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Apologies about the repeat posting. Tried to correct a typo and instead it repeated itself with the correct spelling of Stanwell.
So it's Italy they are in now. Perhaps it's safe to say they are Danish in spirit? I can hardly wait to get my HCA churchwarden.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stanwell asserts it Danishness by stamping each pipe made in Italy as "Designed in Denmark."

My first Stanwell was a bulldog 32, supposedly the first shape they produced in Denmark, but

made in Italy. It has proved out nicely, so I recently bought two others, both "machine" pipes,

but one designed originally, years ago, shape 86, by Sixten Iversson. For a good smoke, dollar

for dollar, they beat most. My other Danish favorites are Johs, hand made by Mogen Johansen.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My 3 Stanwells are all made in Denmark but the Italians know cars, women, food, fashion and pipes. I'm sure the quality from Italy will be to, or exceed, the Danish made pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.