PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Shot, sweet,to the point! Aroma, almond on the onset followed by the heavy Kentucky on the back. Taste, nutty burley and and again the heavier notes. Picked up some tart/sour notes(Perique?). Nic hit, for myself a NIC junkie,very mild. An all day smoker for me that I will will be happy to purchase in mass quantities!A special Thank you to Dan, Simon and Roger for their kindness! Dave

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
War Horse and stout black coffee for breakfast tomorrow morning for me...

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Dan and Russ what is going on with this New company I'm guessing. I take it Russ is blending for lane in this company? Did Russ leave pipes and cigars? Or is this a blending side project?

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Water, water! Very thirsty for War Horse! Where can I get it?
A horse, a horse! My Kingdom for a horse!
I'm a novice when it comes to the staggering variety of blends out there, but when I see all the old-timers salivating, I gotta think there must be something good cooking over at STP...

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo sha
http://www.standardtobacco.com/ might give you some info. The new company is contracting P&C to manufacture and distribute the new STP blends. RussO did the formulations, working with a host of panel and club members to refine the formulas. Russ is firmly ensconced at P&C. He has done a lot of series, notably the great New York Pipe Club blends. P&C also has the Seattle Pipe Club blends, created by Joe Lankford, made and distributed. I see he also did a blend for the Houston Pipe Club. The Missouri Meerschaum and Moonshine series are his too. He also worked out the The Smoker blends with Mel Feldman. Russ keeps very busy, with his Blend of the Month, Matches and an amazing load of new blends for Hearth & Home. It's really befuddling to me how productive he is, with so many high quality blends in so many genres, yet he somehow keeps his sanity.
hp

les

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Thanks Les I was reading up on the Standard Tobacco and saw lane is manufacturing and was concerned that Russ had left P&C. Then again if your a master blender you can pretty much work with any company. I am surprised that atladis hasn't tried to prevent blenders who have blended for them leaving to work for other companies. Thanks for the link man I emailed dan will these blends be offered at pipes and cigars? The Bengal slices have me salivating. I guess you answered that how soon I guess is the best question?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Bengal slices is a terrific Balkan smoke. It reminds me a little of Balkan Sobrainie in a crumbly flake.
Warhorse is a different animal altogether, as most enjoyable dialogue between Burley and Perique with an assist from Virginia and a topping that reminds me faintly of bubble gum, perhaps licorice, and is so damned enjoyable that I smoked all of my packet, and then licked the interior to get every last bit of it.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
...and is so damned enjoyable that I smoked all of my packet, and then licked the interior to get every last bit of it.
And that's sablebrush taking it just a little too far... :rofl:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I take it War Horse is not yet being sold retail?
While I do still smoke moderate nicotine blends featuring VA, Escudo and Cumberland, I continue down the HO (high-octane, uber nicotine) track of the dark and pressed tobaccos that I began smoking in 2005; with Dark Flake and black and brown rope, etc. So about 60% of what I smoke is
Sillem's Commodore Flake

I've smoked 100g and have a half-dozen pipes dedicated to it at present. If you like dark, strong, with a treacle/chocolate topping at mild to moderate ((referencing Stonehaven)), mostly latakia, although altered by the topping to a strong base of dark and delicious, that is minus its usual sour, smoky, herbaceous presentation, smoothed by Black Cavendish, you'll fall in love with CF; but not readily available. I think Sillems production has been conservative. I don't chase unobtainiums but have been able to purchase a half-dozen tins at a time, interrupted by 2 or 3 weeks when no one has it. Guys who like CF have said that their VA flake is very good, too, and they also have a VA/Perique.

Condor

Dark Flake

Black and brown rope, mostly black

JackKnife Plug

Royal Yacht

Triple Play

Chenet's Cake
When I heard Standard Tobacco would be issuing War Horse I nearly flipped out. I'm going to write Mr. Ouellette about possibly copying the recipe for the other dark plugs only available in Europe, Yachtsman and Warrior Plugs. As long as I'm telling him to do this I might as well be more pushy and ask that he copy Dark Flake Geranium that I've only seen available from Glynn Quelch's store, GQ Tobacco. I wonder what happened to P&C's/Mr. Ouellette's Lakeland blend. Legalities? Vanished even though it was making money.
A long time ago someone gifted me with 50g in two dense circular dark pieces of pressed tobacco, but not twist like rope that can be unraveled into a single leaf. I cut it with a butcher knife on a cutting board into smokeable pieces, which never suggested that they could be unraveled. The tobacco was decades old and made by Gallaher, I believe. and all I remember of this very dry tobacco is dark and strong. I'll include researching and blending to Mr. Ouellette as well.
I'll admit to being a pesky old man. Here, make me two dozen tobaccos whose replication involves a boatload of research. I'll also confess to sending Mr. Pease more than a few emails earlier this year urging him to blend what I called XXX Plug, uber-iffilously strong, causing smoke coming out the ears, the name playing off the name of other similarly deafening Irish tobaccos, as preserved by GH in the names of their black and brown ropes, Black and Brown Irish X. He replied that he didn't see the point of blending a tobacco whose strength thrashed the smoker. I replied that although quite reasonable, strength is outside logic. He didn't reply;).
In short, I will invite him to copy any dark and strong tobacco that is not available in the US, as well as those that are OOP (out of production).
Monkeying around with flake but especially plug ties me to my European antecedents and brings the tradition of pipe smoking into my modest smoking chamber. Love love love plug. Thank you X 3 to Standard Tobacco/Mr. Ouellette for their War Horse Saddle.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Sorry to join this thread late, but I'll try and answer a few questions.
First off, The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania (that's me, Simon and Simon's law partner Roger) have licensed the marks to Pipes and Cigars. We have a wonderful relationship with them in developing the blends and bringing them to fruition. Russ has worked tirelessly and patiently to evolve these blends to the very high standard that he has set for them. In the estimation of many folks who have had the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of his labor, this is his best work yet.
"I am surprised that atladis hasn't tried to prevent blenders who have blended for them leaving to work for other companies."
Altadis has nothing to do with this project. Russ is employed by Pipes and Cigars, which is affiliated with Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

"I take it War Horse is not yet being sold retail?"

The blends are now in pre-production. We estimate retail availability before Christmas.
"When I heard Standard Tobacco would be issuing War Horse I nearly flipped out. I'm going to write Mr. Ouellette about possibly copying the recipe for the other dark plugs only available in Europe"
War Horse WILL be made available as one of those dense, black plugs! We are working on developing the process and the manufacturer is assembling the equipment as I write this. As of now, we do not have an estimate on a delivery date for War Horse Bar, but it is in the pipeline, pun intended.
"Thank you X 3 to Standard Tobacco/Mr. Ouellette for their War Horse Saddle."

No, thank you to everyone who has supported us, encouraged us, and egged us on with both enthusiasm and skepticism. None of this would be happening without you.
If you ever have any questions or comments, you can reply here, start a new thread, PM me or email me. I'm a frequent flier at the Lehigh Valley and (Philadelphia) Christopher Morley pipe clubs, so you can meet up with me there (I always have free samples with me), and you can join us on Facebook where I do my best to keep folks up to date on the progress!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
woodsroad, all of this is utterly sublime! But, sigh, I gotta wait to ride this range until Christmas. In any case you done good, really, really good. I got my feet in the stirrups of some fine horseflesh!! But as none of the gods rode, and as they can be pesky, though elevated critters, beware they don't put a jump too high in the way; that is, throw down a big obstacle to keep this very happy event from happening.
Don't know what I could do in that event, but if needed I'll get behind you!
Mike

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Will this only be available through Pipes and Cigars? Seeing as an order from them entails a three hour round trip and twice crossing an international border for me I think it may be easier to acquire Penzance. Oh well gotta do what ya gotta do.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Will this only be available through Pipes and Cigars?"
The Standard Tobacco Company blends will be available for distribution to every tobacconist in the US. Who will actually carry it is another question altogether. We may need the help of you folks to prod your favorite retailer!

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Just to clarify - is this being produced under licence from Gallaher? Or is this just use of the name without permission?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just to clarify - is this being produced under licence from Gallaher? Or is this just use of the name without permission?
Rights to these names expired long ago and far away. STP now owns the rights. So no permission from Gallaher is needed. STP has spent a year or better developing faithful recreations of these blends using samples that were donated from cellars and employing gas chromatography and mass spectrometry to analyze the components. Obviously there is an element of guesswork involved. Any 35 year sample isn't going to taste like it did fresh. But as one of the people privileged to try out these recreations all I can say is they they're excellent. And if the originals didn't taste like these, they should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.