Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Pipe tobacco aficionados have been talking about this for months now, and it is almost ready to come to fruition. The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania is bringing back several legendary pipe tobacco blends of old that haven't been available in decades. Read the short story and reviews here, and at the end of the short reviews you will find a link to the back-story of how all of this happened.
Or just click these links -
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/a-new-standard/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/whats-old-is-new-again-thanks-to-standard-tobacco-co/

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
These guys are an inspiration. Like the true amateur athletes of the early Olympics, they are doing this on guts and passion. Long life and glory to The Standard Tobacco Company!
Plugugly

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Thank you, Kevin! -- I logged on solely to look them up, and by coincidence I landed on this post, top of the column! Timely!
And thank you, too, for Pipesmagazines influential role in bringing these guys together.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you Kevin - I think that just about summarizes how all this happened over at Standard. As I said to Dan, its a good job we didn't try something really ambitious like trying to relaunch some legendary car name from the 1920s!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Exemplary on all counts. I would say Yankee pluck and ingenuity rules, but that would be only 2/3 true. lol
And Kevin, I've been impressed from our first meeting in Vegas with your energy and acumen, and the fact that your passions evidently include dandyism and aspirational foodieism make it pretty interesting to me; but I never realized before that you are able to pen a pretty nice article, with some serious researching chops. Here I had thought that you just had a pretty good spell checker and avoided putting stuff to print before your 3rd cocktail. I always re-read E. Roberts's articles several times: the first read is just to get the gist of the content, but the succeeding perusals are for sheer pleasure. If you keep up the authoring thang, I just might have to consider adding yours to the list.
hp

les

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There is a book in this undertaking. Three chums set out, perhaps naively, to have a bit of fun with tobacco. The simple idea, no way overwhelming at the time, is bandied about and gels into a concrete goal. Now the work begins! Is the intrepid trio up to the challenge? So far, so good!
Financial success is not a real consideration in the decision making process. They are simply setting out to do something interesting and personally rewarding. I'm impressed! I'm intrigued! I wish them the success they so richly deserve!
And, the bringing together of these three personalities is a testament to this forum. A seriously great unintended, positive consequence which redounds favorably to Kevin.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I am rather excited to try these new/old blends. Plus the background story is quite inspirational! Thank you gentleman for undertaking this impressive mission!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Warren and Fordm60 are right on target.
Thanks to ingenuity, that good ol' American spirit and a pipe forum like no other on the plant, we are privileged to learn of such a great story and enterprise.
To paraphrase a television truck advertisement: “Guts, Glory, Godbee!”
And bless this nation for imaginative men like Dan Johnson, Simon Thurlow and the master of the universe, Russ Ouellette.
Here is hoping the Standard Tobacco Co. of Pennsylvania becomes one of the legendary names in tobacco history.
Hats off to a group of gutsy guys.
And, I’m all in when the tins hit the shelves!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Dang, people!
If you keep talking about this, it's all gonna sell out on day one, and I'm not gonna get to try any!
I think we need to get back to talking about how awful it's gonna taste, and how everyone involved sucks and it's all doomed to failure.
OK, maybe not, but at least I'd get a chance to try some!!!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I think this is a hit so far the blends tried are really good and the best part it is a collaboration of pipe smokers getting this ball rolling. I think this company has a bright future and Dan Simon and Roger will do the best they can to appease the pipe smoking community. That to myself is why I am behind this project 110%.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
"War Horse was simultaneously the easiest and the most difficult blend to recreate. Standard Tobacco had sent a sample to a laboratory for a detailed analysis, so I knew precisely what was in the tobacco. The problem is that some of the components are no longer available, and you should have seen the raised eyebrows when the list included things that there’s no way we would be allowed to use today …"
Wow I wonder what are those components? Are they responsible for that warhorse "kick in the pants"?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Andy, they were both herbal and chemical additives. One of them, Valerian Root is most certainly responsible for a psychoactive response, the others are just highly questionable as to whether they should be set on fire and ingested.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great article and very exciting to see this venture happening. Love the company logo. Good luck guys. :puffy:

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Congratulations STP and the whole crew on their new endeavor. I wish you guys all the success in the world! Great write up Kevin!
Cheers,--Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.