PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Can anybody tell me the approximate time-frame that St Bruno changed from the older "original" recipe to what it is now? I actually really enjoy the newer blend, and have never had the older version, but if it is possible to still find some of the original blend for something less than an arm and a leg it would be interesting to try it.
Maybe Pipestud or somebody could find a pouch/tin eventually. This might just be a boondoggle, but hey, you never know, right??
Anyway, the first step seems to be identifying when the "original" was last available and maybe go from there? Any suggestions or advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Occasionally Pipestud will have an Ogden's St.Bruno tin on his site for sale. Sometimes they are sealed,(and expensive), sometimes the seal has been compromised and you can get it for a much more reasonable price, and then it becomes a rehydration project. YMMV

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Mac Baren has been making it since 2006, if I remember correctly, so earlier than that. I love the stuff and have smoked various vintages from the 1960's onward. I have a 100gram tin from 1999 that I'll open once I've used up a few more opened blends.
Ogden's was a very high quality blender. I found the older St Bruno was a little more refined than the Mac Baren version, but I enjoy the current version for what it is. If I have any complaint it's that some of the current batches have been a little flat compared to what I was bringing in from England before distribution resumed in the US.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yup, 2006 is correct.
davidintexas is right, you are looking at spending a lot of money to get an older tin of St. Bruno, in my personal opinion you will only be disappointed with what you get versus money spent.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm a big fan of St.Bruno Ready Rubbed. The flake is good, but prefer the RR...

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Sounds like it might be a boondoggle then.
I enjoy both the RR and Flake that is currently in production, but it's probably not worth a huge investment to satisfy a mild curiosity about what it used to be.
Thanks for the information, gentlemen. Much appreciated.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
davidintexas is right, you are looking at spending a lot of money to get an older tin of St. Bruno, in my personal opinion you will only be disappointed with what you get versus money spent.
I agree with this. I'm seeing tins at $220 for a 50 gram tin, a price which I consider insane. Much as I love the older Ogden's product, there is no way that I would consider buying it at that price. The Mac Baren version is very, very good and the difference between it and the Ogden's product isn't so great that spending all that money is worth doing. BTW, my '90's tins cost me a whopping $40 each, which is about what I spent on the '70's tins. If you can find it at about that price range, go for it. But $200+ for a tin is ridiculous.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yes, that was my thinking originally. $40 or so, why not. $200 for a tin, no. Just no.
Last year I spent $35 for a pouch of the older Condor - most of which was shipping to the US - and it was a good purchase. I enjoyed it for what it was and to satisfy my curiosity.
Chasing Unicorns isn't my gig, but once in awhile it's nice to try something that I've wondered about. Not for $200 though. Nope. Not that curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.