PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I'm wondering if MacBaren's St. Bruno Flake is considered as one of "lakelands"?

I smoked several bowls and its floral topping is not so pleasant to my palate. Generally I like floral notes but this one reminds me of some toilet refresher. It's a good tobacco, I like its strength but the aroma - not so much. I thought it could be a lakeland that I heard to talk about but I've never tried one. So what do y'all say, is it a lakeland or not?

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Sorry for duplicating scloyd's thread, I've seen it too late, hope a moderator will take care of it. :)

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm wondering if MacBaren's St. Bruno Flake is considered as one of "lakelands"?

I'm wondering the same. I just smoked my first bowl of St. Bruno Flake and I enjoyed the floral taste and the aroma. I thought that "lakelands" are only produced by Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth...I'm probably wrong though.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I think this thread is fine. My thread was meant for suggestions on ghosting, drying and any other comments. I'm really interested in trying a "lakeland" blend.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I know Samuel Gawith has several but it's very hard for me to get any SG tobacco, maybe for a really high price, so I think I'll better stay unfamiliar with lakelands, probably wouldn't like them anyway.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
From my avatar you may guess my sentiments on SBF.
It was the favourite of my pipe mentors in Liverpool over 45 years ago, and I have always enjoyed it. SBF is in the UK a working man's tobacco, old fashioned, nothing fancy, perhaps in spirit like the "drug store" blends in America.
While I do not crave the floral notes, neither do I dislike them and find they quickly fade away upon lighting the bowl.
I have also noticed that as the baccy dries out after being opened, the geranium-like topping will dissipate. There is a solid core of empire virginias and burleys underneath. When aged, the floral scent is far less salient.
If the smell of SBF bothers you, then you may not like the Lakeland blends of Gawith, which are even more powerfully scented.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I don't think it is a "Lakeland". It doesn't leave a heavy ghosting, and the topping isn't overwhelming to me, at least not when dried out.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
StBruno70, said it all, so far,and to this day ´STB is among of my favorite blends, and no it ain't Lakeland in the proper sense of the word but rather semi-aromatic in accordance with British traditions, yes there is that floral note ever present which eventually will dissipate after the pouch is being opened /jarred

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Thanks for your thoughts. That floral scent indeed fades away quite quickly and doesn't ghost briar for longer time. The "basic" tobaccos are tasty enough to tolerate some eventually stronger notes in the first third or so of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.