Sports Comments. Whatever. Let\'s Here it.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Right now I am watching quite a bit of golf, Dodgers baseball, and waiting for the World Cup.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
The Cincinnati Reds will continue to age me at an advanced rate.
Trading double digit run games with the Cubs this weekend. Been swept by the Pirates already this year. Revolving door of players sharing the lead off spot, even though none of them are true lead off hitters.
We do have this Cuban, throws 100+, but its just usually at the 2nd row of fans behind the plate.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
My wife and 2 sons are huge Dodgers fans, and yesterday my wife and I are in Dick's sporting goods. I am picking out the wedge I want for Fathers Day. I like to plan ahead. Over the loud speaker comes: We have Chad Billingsley in the baseball department for 15 minutes. He is the Dodgers ace. My wife is thrilled. We go over and he was starting to take some questions. Small crowd, and quiet too. I couldn't believe how young thee guy looked. I am glad I was there, because I was the only one asking questions. Me and my big mouth. Anyway, I got a picture of my wife and Billingsley. He also signed the Dodgers hat I was wearing. I just wish my son Jordan had been there. He is a walking encyclopedia about baseball. I prefer soccer and golf myself, but it was was fun.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mick, I'm a Padre's fan. But, I never pay any attention to baseball until the playoffs.

I used to watch them frequently at the old Padre's Stadium, when I was little.
I love golf, been watching the players this week, one of my favorite tourneys.
After a lay off from golf, I went to play with some friends.

I whiffed the first swing, and topped the ball on the second....

The ball went all of maybe 10 feet, at which time I turned to them and said:

"You guys said this was a tough course... but this is ridiculous."

Just kidding, that's just an old joke.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Here in Cleveland it’s all about the Cavs right now, they have a very good chance of bring this area its first major sports championship since almost the beginning of time. I am a big Browns and Indians fan and personally I prefer football, baseball, and golf. Golf because its one sport I can still play, and baseball because you just don’t grow-up in Phoenix Arizona without playing it as a kid and being exposed to the sport at many different levels. Football is the most talked about sport in my house at this time, I played it and now it looks like our youngest (17) son will be playing it for one of two D3 colleges in western PA.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Well this week I have been at the TPC watching some golf. Pays off to be located where one of the biggest golf tournaments is held. Ben watching Bill Haas since pretty much day one. Followed one of my all time favorites Davis Love III for a bit too.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Ok after living in Vegas for twenty years and playing parlay cards it is my contention that all sports are rigged based on hat and t shirt sales .Just try and go 10 for 10 and beat the spreads . I was amazed that a local high school football team here in Texas could shut down I45 so they could make it to a game on time . I am also amazed at the budget for the local high school football team .My daughter plays volleyball and we pay for almost everything they get in the way of equipment and support . Golf is not a sport it is a waste of a good park . I have played football and baseball and have ankle reconstrution to proove it . My wife loves the Rockets and I suffer through as many games as I can . Tennis is harder than you think . Hunting from a deer blind is killing not hunting .It is cheaper to dine out 5star than to catch and eat fish .The most boring thing in the world is NASCAR unless you like hearing the word tires used 50 times in a one hour period . Sorry to all ahead of time . lmao

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Wow. I don't think I can agree with a single thing you said igloo. Mainly golf isn't a real sport. People that say that cant play and get mad trying. Also I would like to see how much your 5 star restaurant is because its way cheaper to catch it yourself. I know because I catch the fish for that 5 star restaurant.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Hee heee.
Igloo isn't' it almost sickening how much money goes into HS football in TX?
Don't get me wrong I'm a HUGE football fan. It's the only sport I follow full time. But the money and focus put toward the high school version is amazing.
My wife is a high school teacher, and she's constantly going into her own pocket for basic class room necessities, while the football team seems to have a never ending pool of money to spend on luxuries.
Of course the school she teaches at is new this year and they have cloned trees. Yes that's right. They spent something like $50K to get cloned trees so they'd all look alike. Meanwhile my wife is at Walmart buying dry erase markers on our dime.
Priorities are a bit jacked.
I will say though I gotta agree with Surfmac. Golf is definitely a sport. I don't play anymore because I suck and don't have the desire to do the work necessary to get better.
I'm a great "virtual golfer though. I'll whip an ass in Tiger Woods 2010 on wii! :>) And I've probably invested a decent retirement fund in Golden Tee over the last 15 years. Add in the cost of the booze consumed while paying Golden Tee and we're starting to talk real money.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I enjoy watching baseball and football, and was a pretty fair player in my youth; but nothing organized -- just sand lot stuff.

Basketball is OK, but only the last 5 minutes of a game is really interesting.

To me watching hockey or golf ranks right up there with watching a slow smoking contest.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Surf how much is a boat , a truck to pull it , beer consumed , fuel to move it , bait , tackle . etc . fishing my way lol http://neworleansfishing.blogspot.com/2009/11/party-party.html

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
RJ... when it comes to be jacked up on HS football Ohio can't be too far behind Texas. The town we live in has one HS and they have won something like 12 of the last 14 division titles and in the Fall most of the town attends the games. I'm talking standing room only and a long waiting list for season tickets. I think for the most part the kids love it and in this day and age it’s nice to see your community come together and support something.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Yep. Ohio is the other state that is right there with TX when it comes to hyped high school football. Maybe Florida too.
When my wife and I were house hunting here a few years ago we saw a huge complex on the horizon. We knew we were somewhere near the TX Motor Speedway and at first from a distance thought that's what we were seeing. Nope. High school football stadium. Are you sh1tting me? Some colleges play in smaller venues.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I just played golf with my oldest son, and it was sweeet. Beautiful weather. Of course, I had to let him win. Great day. Pistol, I like the Players Championship as well. My favorite tourney too. I hate that Lee Westwood fell back on the last day. Oh well.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Here in LA it's Lakers, Lakers, Lakers. I can't stand the Lakers. No class. I love my Dodgers though. LA Galaxy is doing just fine without the Great David Beckham. He never should have been announced as the savior of the MLS.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I married in to an Elder HS football family. It's in Cincinnati, OH, and was named one of the top 25 places to see a football game in a Sports Illustrated article. Probably more well attended than a lot of college ball games.
INSANE, especially since I grew up in Kenton county KY and everyone on the football team played both ways and there were probably only 100 people in attendance total at most games.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm an Auburn fan, and I want to see Bama win every game right up to the Iron Bowl.

My best friend is a Bama fan, he stopped betting with me when he had to wear an Auburn tee shirt every football Saturday until the next Iron Bowl.
As for Basketbrawl... whoever invented it should have been forced to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.