PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have been eyeballing a couple of Peterson spigots, and need some insight.
1 How is the stem removed and replaced?

2 How do they affect the overall smoking?

3 Can the stem be removed when the pipe is hot?

4 Any extra steps in cleaning?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
1. Friction fit. Twist and pull on and off.
2. I do not notice any plus or minus as compared to "standard" friction fit mortise and tenons.
3. I do not worry about doing it.
4. Not that I know of.
Basically it's a mortise and tenon reinforced at the joint. And, silver mounted it is an eye catcher.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I have 1 Peterson Spigot and I agree with warren. I find mine to be a great smoker. Snap one up!!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I got my first spigot a month ago. It's a beauty, a black blast bulldog, smallish chamber, good smoker. Only caution, the tenon has slipped out when smoking, but that may be that I am not putting enough pressure on it when replacing. It's a Dunny, if that makes much difference.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
This is #1 on my wish list
spigot.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
From what I understand, removing the stem while it's hot is just fine. I've done it with mine to no ill effects. As far as extra cleaning... not much. I'll use a folded up pipe cleaner or q-tip to scrub out the inside of the silver on the stem on one of mine that allows it. Other than that, I just wipe the silver off like I do the rest of the pipe after a smoke. I have two, and XL90 and a B42 and I love them both. I fully intend to grab another one soon. I'm already looking for another.
The B42 is my latest and it's turned out to be a great smoker.
PetersonB42c.jpg
[/url][/img]

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I've been eyeing these pipes all day for me it would be either the bent bulldog or this XL02 both in the Ruby red .. Such a bad add looking pipe
b3E4BCb.jpg

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I have an 03 and it's my favourite pipe out of the dozen I own. Not only is it a great smoker but it's very easy to take apart. This is becoming more important to me as I am starting to get arthritis in my hands. I have a couple of pipes I have a hard time with already so my next purchases will be spigots.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Anthony - that B42 is gorgeous! What's the specific name of that one? The B42s I can find don't have the silver on the stem end like yours does. Yours looks awesome!

Jan 8, 2013
Jmatt, Thank you. It's a silver spigot. They can be hard to find in the B42 shape, and even harder with that particularly shaped stem. Most don't have that flared out stem, and are like the stem on the XL02 Ember posted above. I've only seen very few and I look for Spigots all the time since I got my first one, and XL90 which is like a sister pipe to my B42 with the same stem, stain, and great grain. I feel like I found something very special with the both of them. There are two Walnut Spigot XL02 right now at Smokingpipes, which are silver spigot. And as you can see one of them has the stem like mine, however the other does not. And they're a decent price too. https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/main-search.cfm

Jan 8, 2013
I saw that my link in the above post didn't work and wanted to get these out there...
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=197752
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=194485

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I keep looking on peterson web site for a made to order section of some kind and I don't see anything ..Does anyone know if they would make the pipe you want ?Like if I wanted the B42 in red or anything for that matter

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The have certain pipes which are only produced on order. I do not believe they would consider custom orders. Call or email them. Get the answer right from Peterson, no middleman. I could post both but, I do not want to interfere with your thrill of the chase.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I would contact the store thru their Facebook page. They seen pretty responsive to requests, at least from comments on the Peterson Collectors forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.