PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I bought a pipe a while back, I can't really get a detailed enough picture for the example but after removing the build up, in the chamber it looked like spider webs/cracks in dry ground. Then recently I noticed on smokingpipes.com their grading policy. Under the 4/4.5 section there was this "Rim darkening, out of rounding from reaming/smoking, spider webbing in the chamber."
The link is HERE
My question is, what is the cause/long term effects of this? I thought it was strange, but it smokes fine so I didn't concern myself with it. So, can anyone show a picture and give some more details on this?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've looked for this in my pipes since reading about it in the smokingpipes.com estate pipes, but I haven't found it yet. So, is it wear or indigenous to the briar? Since it doesn't show up in most pipes, it probably is a characteristic of the particular briar. But since pipes seem to get smoked and get old with the spider webbing, I doubt it is of much concern. Damage can be done by the inexperienced with reamers, but I don't think the spider webbing relates to that.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
It has something to do with the briar not the reaming process. It's too abstract and wild. If I can find some way to get a picture (provided it's visible after smoking it this long) I would love to show it. It's in an old Grabow Eldorado estate. I used a knife, very delicately to remove the cake, and I went very close to the wood. Everything remained even, actually went smoothly in fixing it up. I looked at some other posts on here, but never really got an answer of what was going on so started another. The "spider webs" don't seem to be cracks in the chamber...however they may be filled with a layer of carbon that has it evened up.
In a sense it looks like this, except it's smooth.

th

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
That may have happened due to the moisture completely escaping and so forming the natural 'drought' cracks

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
What causes spiderwebbing is a bit of a controversy as it's impact on a pipe's long term health. I think SP may have softened their stance, or altered their definition of spiderwebbing, based only on the condition scale Tyler linked.
Anyway, here's what they said about spiderwebbing a few years back (this may still be on their site):
From Smokingpipes.com:
"Soft spots in the bowl, which char faster and are noted as spider webbing, are often the cause of uneven reaming if done by hand. If using a knife, these softer areas could concave and cause a bigger problem in the future, so great care must be taken to ream the chamber evenly."
Also this:
"Spider webbing is from a 'hot-spot' where the coals were well on their way to a burn thru in the bowl. It's a weak area now and can be mudded over or filled in but best is to smoke cool (as cool as you can, so even char, gentle even light and easy does it sippin') may render a cake forming over the area. Usually can be found at the bottom around and just above the draft hole."

And this:

In general, we use both "Spider webbing" and "charring" to refer to mild damage that has been done to the inside of the chamber by smoking the pipe too hot. It's up to the discretion of the person evaluating the pipes after they've been cleaned to select which term best describes the condition of the pipe. For my own part, I think of "spider webbing" as surface cracks in the wood. I think "charring" is more applicable when a small piece of wood has become a wee bit soft due to overheating. We always do our best to disclose these sorts of issues with estate pipes, and the condition is reflected in the price. I have purchased estate pipes where we had noted either spider webbing and charring and haven't had a problem. We reject all pipes that we believe are at high risk of burnout. And if we don't discover a serious problem until after we've already purchased and cleaned the pipe, they get tossed into the infamous Pipe Science box. (30 years of unreamed cake covers a multitude of sins.)
If you tend to puff a little too zealously, you might want to pass on an estate that has any sort of heat damage in the chamber. But as long as the pipe is smoked gently until you build up a cake of your own, spider webbing is usually not a cause for concern.
Hope that helps.
Joshua Burgess

Smokingpipes.com

Cigrmaster, who's opinion I have great respect for, had this to say:
...is correct that spider webbing is on the inside of the bowl. I would never go near a pipe that has it. I think that people selling these things are doing a disservice by not explaining exactly what it is and how the integrity of the pipe has been compromised. I would also stay away from any pipe that is described as over reamed, that can mean so many things and again the pipes integrity is questionable. There are so many estate pipes that are in great shape, there is never a reason to take a chance with one that has those kind of issues.

If it was my pipe I would smoke it gently even if fully caked, and enjoy the heck out of it until it decides it's time to move on to the next stage of pipe-volution.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
For what it's worth, when I drilled a pipe once with a crummy hand made spoon bit, I noticed that there were vertical gouges in the briar along the walls of the chamber. The dull bit was ripping softer grain out, as I had drilled the chamber parallel to the grain to leave birdseyes on the rim. This type of grain tear out isn't too uncommon when bits arent sharp, and I can imagine these thin channels would cause some cracking in the raised portions to join the gouges together. Sanding the inside of the bowl to an even grain level would resolve the issue in the stages of making the pipe. If the previous owner was smoking the pipe very hot, I can see resulting cracks like that happening. Does the grain run parallel to the bowl on this pipe?

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I wouldn't be overly concerned unless they are deep or you are a fast smoker. My understanding is it is from parts of the wood that are softer and either couldn't take all the heat or were smoked too fast and created too much heat. Building up some cake, like you would if it were a new pipe, or using some pipe mud should prevent any further damage.
I have to remind myself from time to time that I am putting fire to wood so to speak. Not a match made in heaven, pun intended. :)

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Wouldn't know. It's rusticated. Thanks for the responses guys. I will update if anything ever happens to cause it damage, but I don't see it being likely.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Tyler. A recommendation I would like to make is to thoroughly clean the bowl. Then use 400 grit and sand the interior a little. Then step it up to 600. Followed by 1000, 1500, and finally 2000. You don't need to go crazy. If you are starting to notice spider webbing, that's a good method of slowing it down from spreading. It won't fully stop it, but it will help prolong the life of the interior of your pipe. If you need a few sheets, PM me and I'll hook you up.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
For vast campfire and fireplace experience when wood gets hot to the point of burning you'll see spider web cracks. Could be from moisture escaping or the wood gasifying. Just my 2 cents.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Certainly seems to smoke alright. I got it smooth, and have built up enough cake you can't see it. As it was only $10 I feel no loss. Thanks for the info everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.