PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
I have this estate pipe that i won but it has tiny specks of white paint on it (my guess is that the previous owner smoked while working around the house). My question is how do i remove the paint? Do i just buff? or do i have to take off the finish and restain/rewax?

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Might try goo gone. I have used this on polished stained hardwood floors with no problem. This is not to say that it will not damage the stain on your pipe. This just worked for me on my vintage hardwood floors that had some paint speckle from a sloppy painter.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Strip it and keep it naked. Naked briar gets dark with age and use. I love my naked pipe.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Try of all things Peanut Butter, wife used to get gum out of kids hair with this, oils in peanut butter would soften it and it would slide out of hair, maybe it will soften paint without damaging finish and you can rub it out. Worth a try

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
A little of the finish may come off but not so much that it would be noticeable it all depends on how hard you scrub. I would go as light as possible to remove the paint a magic eraser isn't that abrasive it will most likely start to break apart before it did really noticeable damage. But still it is possible. If it does show the go over the whole pipe to match then buff it to get a darker shiny look.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I would try some tripoli on a buffing wheel. Buff it gently, just until the spots are off, then switch to rouge. Finish up with carnauba, and you'll have a brand new pipe!
Good luck.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I'm sorry I didn't realize you guys were referring to me I meant to go over the whole pipe with the magic eraser to even out the stain on the pipe already if it is decent enough. After you do that buff it with whatever polish you like to get the shine.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
If some of the finish does wear of that nothing a-little beeswax can't handle. Once I totally stripped all the stain and finish from my Peterson and took some beeswax to it and it brought out all the grain back to its luster. But the shine will be gone but it still looks great. Re-apply as needed. Don't forget the stem too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe try the more conservative remedies first, and if there is damage, go to the stripping option. It's

true unfinished pipes brown up in a beautiful way, like a deep honey-brown stain. Even fills look quite

fetching. Whether all stained bowls, once stripped, would take on an attractive glow, I don't know, but

it seems likely.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
the buffing didn't work so i had to use the magic eraser. Good news is that the specks of paint are gone.... But the finish is gone also. Iirc I use caranuba on a buffing wheel on low speed. Is that right?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO carnauba is the only way to go. Low speed is best to apply it, but buffing with a soft wheel and light pressure at higher speeds brings up the gloss. No need to stain the pipe, it should color nicely.
Here's a picture of a Rattray's pipe that was lacquered, as it turns out, to conceal some fills.

I sanded off the lacquer, which had the effect of removing a lot of the stain, and finished it with only carnauba wax.

It's a subjective thing, but I believe that removing the lacquer really opened up the flavor of the pipe.

RattrayNewRight.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.