PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabop

Lurker
Nov 24, 2013
South Africa
I do understand the benefits of smoking control laws, but really - some countries / legislation just go TOO FAR. I've never heard of any person who smoked a bowl, went home and hit or even kill his family.
Its getting more and more difficult to buy proper tobacco in SA, while we were once tobacco growing and supplier. TO be honest, the well-known Anton Rupert made his millions through tobacco (remember Rembrandt van Rihjn cigarettes). And the sad part is - the strict laws in SA, does not prevent illegal cigarettes to enter through our borders. That's where they should concentrate, not whether I as an individual exercise my right to buy tobacco and enjoy a bowl in my privacy!

Code:
<br />
 4      Prohibitions in respect of tobacco products<br />
 (5) 	(a)  No person shall sell, offer to sell, supply, distribute or buy any tobacco product through the postal services, the internet or any other electronic media.<br />
        (b) The prohibition contained in paragraph (a) does not apply to any commercial communication between a tobacco manufacturer or importer and its trade partners, business partners, employees and shareholders.<br />

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My sate of Maryland had the exact same ban for one year, it did not go over too well, many well-known pipe shops disregarded it, and the ban was repealed the following year.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
It seems the vast horde "do gooders" just cannot control the impulse to try and control every waking moment for others. Its enough to drive you to smoke and drink:)

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
It doesn't seem like a very nice place to be right now. I think if I were a South African or (former) Rhodesian, I would be making arrangements to find a new continent.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
That's Zimbabwe, but point taken.
While I don't doubt its happening in Zimbabwe, I know for a fact its happening in South Africa, in fact my friends brother in law was one of the farmers that was killed while she was in the house.
http://www.genocidewatch.org/southafrica.html

bentbriar

Lurker
Jan 9, 2014
Not to mention that black teenage girls in South Africa are more likely to be sexually assaulted than graduate from high school!
OH and their president Jacob Zuma was accused of raping the 17yo HIV positive daughter of a political mate; his reply to the charges.....
"The sex was mutually agreed upon and while I didn't use a condom I knew she has HIV and I took a shower afterward to keep from getting it."......Seriously that was his official response!!!!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Your post is a little out of line there bent, and degrading to the people that live there.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
tuold said:

These kinds of laws illustrate how with the stroke of a pen,

government can instantly create millions of criminals.
Which is pretty much the point ... laws of this sort are all part of the effort of government to establish control over the lives of the citizens ...

Status
Not open for further replies.