PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe

Lurker
Mar 7, 2011
First of all, hello!! this is my first forum post tho i have been reading here for quite a while.

Let me give you a bit of info about myself. Im 19 years old and i have decided i would like to try the pipe, currently living under my parents roof and havnt quite mentioned my obsessions with pipes to my mother! My grand-father was a pipe smoker and my father enjoys the odd cigar * full time cigarette smoker ).

I'm not quite sure if im qualified for this forum as i havnt smoked a pipe yet but i took the first steps today. Ordered the Middle Earth Sampler pack from Just for Him. I think it will take a week or two to get here (Ireland) so that should give me time to get a pipe! I will be in Dublin soon so was thinking of picking up a peterson but im not sure!

Any suggestions on what pipe to get would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry for the long post i had a lot to get off my chest!

Wolfe

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Sounds like you came to the right place. The people around here are full of knowledge. As far as pipes go, I'd think that any Peterson would be a good starter pipe. I learned with cobs and basket pipes to start off with but if you are already going to be in Dublin then why not?!?! :puffpipe:

wolfe

Lurker
Mar 7, 2011
Thats exactly what I was thinking! I cant think of a better place to buy a Peterson than the shop itself! :)

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Welcome man! You came to the right place. Seem's like there's more and more of us young smokers here recently (I'm 21). Start with a cheap pipe first, like a cheap briar or if you have them over there a corncob. Make sure you like smoking a pipe first before you invest in a Peterson. Good luck!

wolfe

Lurker
Mar 7, 2011
Thanks Flat :) The way i see it is, even if i dont like smoking the pipe they still fascinate me and i dream of having a nice pipe collection one day!

jjtroutbum

Lurker
Feb 3, 2011
EBay the land of slightly used Peterson's with out the tourist prices. Might want to check strongirishes for sale thread also could have close to a rotation for what you new Pete would cost.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome to PM.com wolfe! And welcome to the brotherhood!
Feel free to post any questions.
There's no such thing as a dumb question here. There are quite experienced, knowledgeable people here, and everyone is very friendly.
We love answering newbie questions.
Thanks for signing up and participating.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Welcome aboard! The Peterson shop is just opposite trinity college in Dublin, the shop staff are lovely, and will offer advice if asked. there is a rose garden in trinity just by the GAA field, it's sheltered and comfortable and would be the perfect place to fire up your pipe for the first time. As for which to pick, let your budget & what you like the look of decide that!
*edit
My second favourite place to smoke in Dublin is St Stephens green, it's not far from the Peterson shop at the end of grafton street, a cup of coffee from insomnia and pipe while watching the world go by and the ducks swim!

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I remember my first pipe. A low cost basket billiard briar. I picked it up in June of 1981 at a shop called the Night Gallery in Phx, AZ. It along with a couple ounces of a mild aromatic blend named HoneyBee set me back about $30 bucks. I will always remember the patience of the owner who took patience with me showing me how to properly load and smoke a pipe. I think its a continuous learning process.
Welcome aboard wolfe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome aboard. you've picked the place to start. I wish the internet and this forum were around when I started smoking a pipe in 1970. I'm sure that the Peterson people can get you started in the right direction. Visit here often and ask your questions and contribute your thoughts and comments. This is a great community. Best wishes.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Welcome wolfe! Always glad to see new pipe smokers, and especially younger people like yourself. Hope to see a revival of pipe smoking amongst your generation! :puffy:

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Welcome fellow Lord of the Rings Fan and briar brother
You came to the right place. I recommend getting a Savinelli pipes or a Peterson. Enjoy your stay and ask away!

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Ah, another young smoker! Huzzah! I'm only 20, myself, started when I was 19.

My suggestion for first pipe: make it inexpensive, but love the way it looks. If you don't love it, you probably won't keep going.

Best of luck on your trip into pipe smoking, I hope you fall in love with it!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Welcome to the forums Wolfe. I admit being a wee bit biased as I now am pushing a hundred Petersons, but I have found them excellent from the least expensive to the best I so far have acquired.

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
welcome wolfe! i too am a very new member to pipes magazine. you have made a wise decision to experiment smoking a pipe. i started smoking a pipe about a year ago and i believe i am hooked for life! even at the young age of almost 18, i think taking up pipe smoking has been one of the best things i have ever done. i may not have much advice to offer but i do have this to say-don't get discouraged too quickly if things don't go right the first couple time. it has taken me almost a full year to learn how to properly smoke my pipe. but stick with it and i promise it will be a very rewarding experince. i hope your first pipe smoking is an enjoyable and learning experince. remember, practice makes perfect.

Craig P.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Bleh, why does everyone always recommend corncobs? Get a decent Peterson, I say. :)

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
That Middle-Earth Sampler looks promising. I might put in an order for myself come payday.
A good Missouri Meerschaum Corncob is only like $3 at the local smokeshop. At that kinda price why wouldn't someone suggest one. If it turns out they don't like it then they only wasted three bucks, but if they do then that's $3 for a pipe that will last years.
I picked up a corncob recently. It's a lot lighter than my briar and it has a smaller bowl, so it's really great for smoking while in the truck. I can very easily see it becoming a single-purpose pipe though, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.