Something funny for my Northern brothers.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I love Alabama. Now that being said winter here is hilarious. The mention of SNOW even a dusting sends Huntsville into a panic. Now these next few days we might get an inch. The temps will be in the teens and lower. Now for here that is cold , hell mid 20s is COLD here. However on Friday they already listed schools in Madison County will open 2 hours late Monday and Tuesday, the reason being it MIGHT snow 2 inches and it will be to cold. I can't stop laughing.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
:rofl:
That reminds me of the winter I spent in Portland, OR (after temporarily relocating from about 20 mins south of Portland, ME). It snowed about two inches total over the course of two "storms". I never had to bundle up in more than a hoodie, but damn if the city didn't shut down.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
When I was a kid, you expected rain, snow, and/or wind. Now you get a full day of "storm" forecasts that are guarenteed to panic anyone not familiar with the NW.
The golden rule is that if they forecast trouble, it probably won't happen or at least not be as bad as predicted. On the other hand, if they say, "don't worry", batten down the hatches!
The only time I really pay attention is if the word "ICE" comes up!

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
The golden rule is that if they forecast trouble, it probably won't happen or at least not be as bad as predicted. On the other hand, if they say, "don't worry", batten down the hatches!
:rofl: That's right, Here if they say it's going to rain, it probably wont, but if they say there's a 10% chance, it will flood.

Jan 3, 2014
First off, Hello. I am new here.

Years ago I was down in North Carolina visiting a cousin for a few days. We had been working on one of his cars in his garage and knocked off after a few ours and decided to have a beer. We discovered we didn't have any so I offered to hop in his truck and shoot down to the store in town, his being the last vehicle in the driveway while he stayed behind and fired up the grill. It had snowed a little that day but I really hadn't even noticed it. Got about halfway to the store and had flashing lights in my rear view, state trooper. I had no idea why I was being stopped but whatever, o.k. I'll pull over. He asked why I was driving during a travel ban. I said I had no idea there even was a travel ban in effect, "what for" I asked. That's when he got a little hot because he must have thought I was trying to be a wise ass. "What for? The snow storm, that's what for"! So I said alright when is that going to hit? Now he was outright angry. "Going to hit"? "LOOK AROUND"! Seriously there was about an inch or two of fresh powder on the ground and coating all the trees & power lines, etc but an inch or two is nothing I would consider a "storm". He asked for my license then and I was understanding where he was coming from. Once he saw my New York license and I told him I was from Buffalo he calmed right down because he knew I wasn't trying to be a jerk. An inch or two of powder is nothing up here. Generally we never have any sort of shutdown for snow. It's just part of the scene up north, deal with it. The snow falls, the plows come out and clear the roads, no biggie. Cold on the other hand is something different, that WILL keep the kids home from school if it is down into the single digits for days on end but even that is very rare.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I spent a lot of time in Alabama and Florida and right now sitting here in Saskatchewan enjoying -41 Celsius with the wind I miss it...... A little. Lol

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Just came in from a run on the snowmobile tracks in -20 C. There is no such thing as too cold. I've done +50 and -50 celsius. From what I can tell you, you can keep on layering up to get warm, but you can't get naked enough to get cool.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
In Chicagoland, I am looking forward to two days of snow then a high of -13 on Monday. Even if Weather.com is wildly wrong, it is going to be miserable.
Winton

Dec 24, 2012
Yeesh, we are supposed to get another foot and possibly more of the white stuff tomorrow, and that's after getting hammered repeatedly for the last week. I have a long driveway, so I need to use a plow attached to my Arctic Cat ATV, shown in the old photo below. Yesterday the snow was so high and heavy it snapped the cable on the plow. Spent 4 hours today working on the thing with the help of my neighbour to get the plow back on before the next massive storm hits tomorrow. Now I need to figure out where to put the new stuff, because right now my driveway looks like the Grand Canyon with a wall of snow several feet high on each side. That's life in the north.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Peck thanks for the pic.
I miss the North something fierce, bought a house here in GA and will probably never see snow again. I use to play all day in the snow and ice in Lombard, VillaPark, and Hampshire, IL when I was a kid.
About 9 years ago we had at least 6 inches of powder in MS. It was heavy enough I just called into work after driving for about 30 mins, and just went to a friends house. He was following me and never driven in snow. As we go up the hill to get to the road to his house I don't let up on the gas and plow my way through it. He lets up and gets stuck, after walking back down I hop in his car and back down the hill a bit and just roll up it like it was nothing. Fun times in the snow, rest of the day we built snow men and had snow fights. Pretty sure if it snows here the town will shut down like every other southern town, but i'll be out in my jeep having fun.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I can't recall the schools closing in Winnipeg, and take my word for it, chaps, we had some extreme weather. We did have a lovely summer, however. It was the third Tuesday in July.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I used to live in Northern VT. Winter was from late October till late April, one of the reasons I left The Green Mountain State, however, being able to occasionally see the Northern Lights was pretty cool.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
We did have a lovely summer, however.
I heard that another name for that season in The 'Peg was, "Mosquito Season."
Didn't know you were a fellow Canuck Ravkesef, don't know how that one got past me...
-- Pat

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Peck,

I plow my 1500 ft driveway with a Yamaha Rhino, and snapped the winch cable frequently. Change to a 2" tow strap, and you'll be good for a long time. My machine is enclosed, so I can have a pipe while I plow!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Peck: I and the neighbors have long drives also, around a hundred yards. I'm the only one with a blower on the tractor. When we get a winter with a lot of snow I have to blow the neighbor's plow piles into the fields so they have more space to plow more snow. Such neighborliness does score the odd bottle of Jameson at Christmas time so there are benefits.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
I have come to appreciate both the northern and southern perspectives of a "snow storm". I grew up in a part of upstate NY that routinely got several inches of snow. There a snowstorm meant that you could not see more then a few feet in front of you, it was a struggle to walk against the howling wind, and you had better have attached something to your car antenna to help you find your car buried in the snow. What accounts for a bad snowstorm in GA (where I live now) was more aptly referred to as Spring where I grew up. However in NY we had the equipment to deal with it (studded snow tires, plows, salt trucks etc) and snow was a common and expected occurrence. In GA, cars don't have snow tires, there are no plows or salt trucks, there are no regular occurrences of snow to learn to drive on, and here we have something very hideous called black ice. When I lived in NY I would not have given a thought to driving in snow, but now rarely go out if it snows in GA. Frankly I am never certain if the car coming up behind me knows that stopping in snow is different than stopping on dry pavement.

Status
Not open for further replies.