PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Okay, as you may or may not know, I recently purchased two gorgeous Peterson pipes. More than enough for any pipe smoker. I should be satisfied, yes? No.
I just bought this:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=97374
004-006-6823.jpg

I decided to take the plunge as it was an estate and may disappear before I can do my research. It happily reminded me of a pipe from one of my favorite films "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby:
BingPipeDetailColor1.jpg

BingPipe1.jpg

Not the same I know, but I couldn't resist. Panel or foursquare billiards seem hard to come by.
Now my question to any experts out there is: can anyone tell me anything about this pipe?? It's a Savinelli Chiara, no idea when it was made tho...

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
She sure is a beauty. I really like the panel billiards especially the 30's Yello-Boles.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
"She arrives in 2 days.
Funny, I finally understand women and shoes..."
+1 I really like that one! I got my first estate on its way (I hope) via eBay and picked up a MM cob today, with 6+ still on my watch list! LOL

Now I understand PAD :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Great looking pipe. I looked at the Savinelli site and they don't make the 502 any longer. The closest one to your is a 506 shape and not a Chiara. You may want to contact them on their site. Yours is in remarkable condition and probably does have some age to it. Enjoy it and report back.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
That is a beauty mate. Must be a pipe stampede goin on here. I just got, in the snail mail today, a New Mr. Brogs Churchwarden but am too lazy to post a pic. tonite. Already smoked a bowl tru it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks everyone for the feedback! And [papipeguy] thanks for checking. I am so curious how old this model is and anything else I can find out.
I will post pics ASAP and let you know how she smokes.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Congrats numbersix! Great looking pipe.
Yes that PAD is an irresistible mistress but I have to say that is the best justification I've ever seen. Well done sir!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Nice panel pipe indeed. Dating Savinelli's is a bit tricky. They sometimes make the same pipe for extended periods of time. I bid on a couple of estates in the past and tried to find some info on dating, but it definitely has proven to be more difficult than with Petes for instance.
I would reach out to Savinelli and see if they can help.
Good luck

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
So I received my Savinelli chiara 502 estate and I have to say, this may be my favorite pipe. The photo doesn't do it justice. It is in perfect condition and could have been passed off as brand new. The finish is gorgeous (the camera can't capture it for some reason).
The bowl is the smallest I own, but it smokes really well and so far at least, I am enjoying the smaller bowls.
At $62 bucks, I am very happy with this purchase!
One thing: the pipe was listed as having a vulcanite stem, but I am almost certain it's acrylic or lucite. If anyone knows anything about this pipe, I am all ears.
sav-600x399.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.