PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Hi forum members,
I am about to finish a tin of 10+ years aged McClelland Blackwoods Flake, which gives me some of the most enjoyable earthy but mouth watering superb sweetness. I am in a quest to find some other tobacco that can give me this sensation of super sweet mouth watering after taste. So far, I tried comparing it to SG Full Virginia Flake (I don't like it so much), SG Best Brown Flake (I like it a lot but it's not that kind of sweet), and I compared it to some VAPer such as Marlin Flake, etc, but there is not as much of that sensation either.
Can some of you give me some recommendations or enlighten me on how to get back this level of enjoyment again?

:puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
In my experience, aged McClelland VAs are the sweetest non-aromatics around. You might find aged Christmas Cheer to be a little sweeter even than Blackwoods. The 2000 and 2004 are two of the sweetest, almost candy-like, VAs I've ever had.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
As pitchfork said, McClelland Virginias are very sweet. They also make a Vaper called Black Parrot that is quite sweet. Another sweet Virginia that I like better than McClelland Virginias is Rattray's Old Gowrie, although it is not quite as sweet as the McClelland Virginias.

Mar 1, 2014
I suggest Escudo and Samuel Gawith St. James Flake, those are the best tasting I've tried.
(I've also had five different kinds of McClelland Virginia and got nothing but starch flavour from them, after reading this I assume I just need to age them ten years.)

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
It just happened that I aged my tin by accident as the fresh out of tin McClelland Blackwoods Flake bit my tongue a little bit for the first few bowls. I just set it aside and forgot it while going more towards the Latakia direction. After a few years when the tin emerged again, it surprised me to deliver much mellower heavenly sweet smoke.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Although there is a slight rum top note to it, I recommend Rotary Navy Flake. Its a very well behaved, sweet Virginia you can enjoy while you age tins of McClelland Virginias. MacBaren Modern Virginia is a topped, sweet Virginia that is also easy to enjoy.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.