PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I joined this forum after finding the website during an online search. At that stage I’ve been smoking pipes for a good few years, but purely as a hobby, and sometimes going months without smoking. Pretty much self-taught with lots of tongue bite and frequent relights.
Picked up the hobby again with the acquisition of my grail pipe, and started reading here.
Information overload! I was keen to try EVERYTHING I learned. From non-aromatics to new packing techniques, to breath-smoking to goodness knows what else.
It was probably the worst time in my pipe-smoking experience, since starting out. To the point where I nearly ditched the whole thing.
I recently picked it up again, and reverted to my own self-taught habits. I don’t pack by prescribed method, I fill the bowl with tobacco and test the draw. I light it once or twice for the start before tamping down and settling down. I prefer aro to plain. Specifically a black cherry blend from my local B&M. The chap behind the counter isn’t the store owner and doesn’t know what’s in it or where they get it from. I like the mouth feel and the smell.
I ditched all my newly acquired tins of Peterson terribles.
And I think that’s where the beauty of pipe smoking came back to me. We do it for the relaxation and process. Taking our minds of the world’s troubles.
And then only did I understand the single piece of advice, often quoted here, of “don’t overthink it”. Find what works for you, read less, smoke more :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Glad to hear that you've found that sweet-spot in the pastime indulgence. :puffy:
btw, nicely written post -- hope to read more of your observations.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
skaaphaas:
Welcome to the world of pipe-smoking. The process of choosing your pipes, the shopping around for the next best blends, the whole smoking ritual, the peaceful solitude...or, sharing a good smoke with some friends....becomes the rewards. Relax, kick back, and smoke your pipe. Watch Life's vexations drift away in wisps of aromatic smoke. Keep you eye on the prize.
Yes, "don't overthink it".... and become wrapped up in all the little minor differences that cannot be measured. 90% of what you read about pipe smoking is really just speculation, opinions, anecdotal, and backed up by very little measurable science. But that's the fun of it.
Continue to do what works for you. Forget all the tribal requirements. Frustrations can come from unreasonable expectations, and by trying to convince yourself that a certain brand of pipe smokes cooler, smokes better, or this or that tobacco blend is superior, if thick cake is better than an thin, or, no cake.....yada, yada, yada. If you hate the Peterson tobaccos...don't smoke them. You like cherry-aros...smoke them. Try mixing your cherry-aros with a milder, less flavored blend, and see how that goes. Develop your own "comfort zone", and your own preferences.
Forums for pipe-smokers and the many You-Tube videos about pipe-smoking and tobacco reviews, can be fun, and informative. The forums do provide a good read. But, you, ultimately should to decide on all the hows and whats.
Peace, and good smoking.
Frank

NYC

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can learn every aspect of smoking a pipe, but until you adapt it to your own style, it will never work. Glad you found your groove. Self taught here too, no internet when I started, and though I primarily smoke Virginia/Oriental blends, I do have a big number of aros in my cellar.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think it was MSO or Jesse that said I should just slow down and take my time when I was starting out. That was probably the best piece of advice I got when starting. Packing technique, cadence, and flavour profiles will all change from person to person, but a slow pace is key.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I really liked your post until I read "Find what works for you, read less, smoke more"

lol

I agree that you shouldn't frustrate yourself and that you should learn at a comfortable pace. Reading less is not comfortable for me. I think it would be better to say "don't believe everything that you read."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Find what works for you, read less, smoke more"
I agree totally. Let others read for you when it comes to smoking and tobacco. They'll post what they find interesting and you can sift through it, should you choose, on the ever truthful, ever objective interweb.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
"Let others read for you"

I actually paid a college student to read for me a long time ago. For five dollars an hour my more boring books got read out loud.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Everyone learns differently. Some are readers. Big point is that you cannot learn without doing, when the task involves doing.
If I could do it again, I would have picked up a few cobs, some Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Five Brothers, and just focused on enjoyment and technique for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.