PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Yep, you read it right, Novruz is a traditional holiday in Azerbaijan (and in nearby countries). It has been celebrated for over 3,000 years in Western Asia, Central Asia, the Caucasus, the Black Sea Basin and the Balkans. Nowruz is the day of the vernal equinox, and marks the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. It usually occurs on March 21 or the previous/following day, depending on where it is observed. Here is some information taken from Wikipedia enriched with some pictures taken from the internet:
Usually preparation for Novruz
61e7d7ffccd1f84364ed5df96cabecc2.jpg

begins a month prior to the festival. Each of forthcoming 4 weeks is devoted to one of the four elements and called accordingly in Azerbaijan. Each Tuesday people celebrate the day of one of the four elements - water, fire, earth and wind. People do house cleaning, plant trees, make new dresses, paint eggs
1300132311_e81e9336ed08.jpg

make national pastries such as shekerbura
Shekerbura.jpg

pakhlava
Pakhlava.jpg

shorgoghal
72970302.jpg

and a great variety of national cuisine.
novruz_bayrami.jpg

As a tribute to pre-Islamic Zoroastrian beliefs, every Tuesday during four weeks before the holiday kids jump over small bonfires
2016-03-17-10-57-42big2456.jpg

and candles are lit.
031900110432.jpg

On the holiday eve the graves of relatives are visited and tended. The decoration of the festive table is khoncha, a big silver or copper tray
10210-LRG.jpg

with Samani
2015%2F02%2F26%2F11%2F03%2F23%2F826%2F59246_mPbvZ6SO3OcCL06Gl2O_UQ.jpg

green shoots from wheat seeds placed in the centre and candles and dyed eggs by the number of family members around it. The table should be set, at least, with seven dishes.
98150ecbd8120e71acdb926b66a24d23.jpg

Happy Novruz Everyone!!!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Happy Novruz ! Thanks for making me extremely hungry. The food looks delicious, especially the Pakhlava ! It has been a while since I've had some. :P

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It's all good. Having a cold pizza breakfast now. Happy St. Patrick's Day! And thank you for taking the time to share your cultural heritage. I really appreciate it. Peace!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
What a coincidence, I had pizza for lunch. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, too. You are welcome, I am glad you enjoyed it.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
No fair showing us tasty looking food unless you have samples you can mail out! :mrgreen: Seriously, it all looks good and I wish I could try some of it.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Neat - thanks for sharing and the awesome pics. I too am hungry now! Happy Novruz!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
My Grandma lived in Iran for a long time and she always makes Nazuk (an Armenian cookie/pastry...my grandfather was Armenian/Russian) at this time of year, for nostalgia. Does nazuk have any role in Nowruz, or is this just a tradition she created for herself?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Happy Novruz to you too, and thanks for the pics and information about this tradition. I love to watch food shows that take you to other countries and show their culture and the foods they eat. Makes me want to learn the recipes for some of their dishes.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You are all welcome guys.
No fair showing us tasty looking food unless you have samples you can mail out! :mrgreen: Seriously, it all looks good and I wish I could try some of it.
I can mail out some samples but they are not going to be edible by the time they arrive. :(
My Grandma lived in Iran for a long time and she always makes Nazuk (an Armenian cookie/pastry...my grandfather was Armenian/Russian) at this time of year, for nostalgia. Does nazuk have any role in Nowruz, or is this just a tradition she created for herself?
I searched for Nazuk, we call it Yerevan cookie, we don't cook it during Novruz but you can find it all the time here.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Actually some of that stuff looks good enough to dry out, grind up and smoke with my tobacco! :worship:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks for sharing......... Interesting stuff for sure, and those pictures are incredible. I hope to travel to that region soon, its on my bucket list!............. :puffy:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Very interesting for sure. Now I will have to look up recipes for the things you prepared for the feast.

Status
Not open for further replies.