PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Years ago I used to smoke this stuff and really liked it. For some reason I kind of forgot about it but recently I have been pounding away at it, smoking it once a day. I have gone through a couple of tins already and have a bunch of tins in stock with more coming. I am going to be loading up on this one even though it is pricey. It is right up there with Escudo as being one of my go to vaper flakes but it is different. It is sweeter and less spicy than Escudo. The description says it is topped with honey, which makes sense because it is very sweet, but not too sweet. It is high quality Virginia for sure, and the flakes are gorgeous. What I really love is the stuff comes at the perfect humidity so no need of drying and it has no bite at all. If anyone is looking to expand their vaper blends, I highly recommend this one.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Sounds good; I've always wondered where it ranked in the Va/per pantheon... I tend towards the spicier side of thing but it is nice to have a nice sweet VA dominant one for a change.
I've got a tin with over a year's age on it, I should get a couple more - one fresh, the rest to save. I still haven't tried it, I just ordered some on other people's recommendations and I've been sitting on it ever since...
You are right that the price leaves a lot to be desired but if you like it, it's definitely worth it.
PS: When I was new I didn't given the proper moisture level the respect it deserves. I've since learned it is probably one of the most important factors regarding flavour and enjoyment of the smoke - and I'm not talking goopy versus dry, but the big differences in taste to be had by drying/dehydrating just a few degrees...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sparroa, you should crack the tin you have and check it out. I think you will be quite surprised at how tasty it is. I think once you try it you will be ordering more. It does have plenty of Perique to balance the sweetness, but not like Escudo where the Perique kind of dominates the Virginia.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the advice cigrmaster - I will crack it one of those days, I still have so much on my plate and a new order on the way. lol Until I do I'll keep reminding myself how I'm missing out.
Solani 633 certainly sounds good but I am a little Perique-biased; I'm one of those that wants a little more spice than Escudo offers. (Though I love its balance for the most part)
rothnh, I've seen that list many times and I've used his reviews as my early Virginia-Perique buying guide. Unfortunately, a lot of those aren't available to me but I do have number 1,2,4,6, and 23 in my cellar...
I don't currently have any access to H&H blends because of shipping concerns but Anni Kake, AJs Vaper, and Louisiana Red are big dots on my radar... Rolando's Own I haven't read much about.
I'm surprised to see Triple Play in the list; it seems too unconventional to be a Va/per and I don't really have any interest in trying it though I am a Pease fan.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I hate to hijack the thread, too, but I figured this would be a good place to ask a question about VA/Per flakes. I prefer my VA/Per flakes on the sweeter side and was planning a TAD order that was entirely comprised of good VA/Per Flakes and based on your review, Cigrmaster, I'm adding two tins of Solani 633 to the order. Do you have anymore recommendations on VA/Per flakes that have a sweet Virginia base that have a light Perique flavor?
Steve

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I was able to make the pipe show after all. I picked up two tins of Solani 633. At $10 a tin maybe I should have bought more.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
rothnh, I think the Reiner is good but the burley in it gives it a flavor that in my opinion detracts from the perique. Orlick says it has perique but I cannot detect it and I have been smoking it for years, it is a nice blend but I don't consider it a vaper in the regular sense. St James is an all world vaper and I have multiple pounds of that in the cellar. I don't smoke Rattray's or Mclellend products due to the bite I get from them.
Galeon, a nice light and sweet vaper that is a curly cut is the Wessex Sovereign Curly Cut. Very sweet and not an overpowering perique presence.
I am just starting to test a tin of Wessex Brigade with Perique, I have only smoked one bowl so nothing to report yet. It does have promise though.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Solani 633 is on sale at P&C at 9 something a tin, or less if you buy 5. Pretty good deal I would say.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I bought my last ten tins from P&C, no one has a better price. I will be grabbing another 10 next week for sure. My plan is to buy 10 tins a month for a while. 5 years from now this stuff will probably be going for 25 plus a tin.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Its odd, the 100g tins of 633 are ready to smoke but the 50g tins are usually very moist and requires drying time. It is a wonderful Vaper, you should definitely try it if you have not. It is on my regular smokes list.
As for St. James Flake, it sucks. No one should buy it. :evil: :wink:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mrenglish, where are you getting 100 gram tins of 633? I have looked all over and the only one who lists it that way is Mars and they never have it in stock, plus their price is high. It is cheaper to buy 2 50 gram tins from P&C than it is buying a 100 from them. I would love to be buying 100 gram tins, I used to buy it that way years ago. I don't find the 50's to be too moist at all, so far the 2 I have smoked have been very nice humidity wise.
On the Wessex Brigade with Perique front after a second bowl of it, I am definitely going to be stocking up. It has a real rich flavor, nice and sweet with some nice perique nose to it. It has no bite, comes in a broken flake for easy packing and the moisture content is not too high. One more vaper to add to the rotation.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
cigrmaster, I purchased the 100g Solani 633 at Smokingpipes.com. There price has come down a bit as well. It used to be something like $23 a tin and last I checked it was just below $20. I need to pick up some 50g for my smoking, I jarred up the 100g tins.
I will have to try the Wessex Brigade, I might have a tin of it but it seems our tastes are similar, so I will probably like this one.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, I must be blind, I checked that site earlier and missed it. I just figured out that if I order 10 100 gram tins from them, it is a tad more than 20 50 gram tins from P&C. I would rather have the 50 gram tins because they are vacuum sealed and I like the smaller tins for taking with me and for long term storage.
We do have similar tastes so I would be surprised if you didn't like the Wessex. If you haven't tried them yet, their Brigade Campaign Dark Flake and their Brown Virginia are also very tasty. I stock both in my cellar. Not too crazy about their Red virginia, it is a little bitey.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Sorry guys but I had to bring back this thread. I am smoking it right now and it is incredible indeed. It has some age on it (2012) and was gifted by a generous forum member. How can one make a perfect blend like this? Experience? Coincidence? I don't know, but thanks for this blend, both the blender and the generous forum member.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like it fresh, but found aged 633 is even better. I still have two tins from 2002 and one from 2004 that I keep meaning to open. The Virginias get better and the perique in this blend does not diminish as it ages.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I love 633. It was the first Va/per I ever smoked. Cant wait to see what happens when my stash has a few years years on it. I love the tin note, which reminds me of figs and hay, and find the taste translation incredibly satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.