PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I was wanting to buy some softy bits for my pipes (I believe that is what they are called) and I noticed some for pretty cheap on ebay. I was wondering if these look good or if you guys know where to buy some for a better price?
http://cgi.ebay.com/12PCS-NEW-SOFTY-Rubber-Tobacco-smoking-Pipe-Tip-Grips-/140489451037?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b5d2e61d

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Yes, that is a good price. I use them on nearly all of my pipes, and swear by them. In most B&Ms the packaged ones tend to run around $1.99 for two although I do sometimes find them cheaper in shops that buy them in bulk.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Hobie, while they do make the bit a little thicker, they provide a comfortable and secure clench so that you don't have to bite so hard. No tooth marks on the pipe's bit and no having to bite down on a hard surface.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i have been meaning to get some of those things... need to make a mental note.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Just FWIW...I have taken the advice of a few others and purchased latex "exercise" tubing from a local medical supply. They had several different diameters and colors. I just neatly cut off a piece about 1/2" long and s-t-r-e-t-c-h it over the end of the bit. Sometimes a little olive oil may be necessary to slide it into place.
From my experience, it outlasts the softy bits, is much cheaper, and it is more comfortable as it is a bit less bulky and does not have the "lip" that the softy bits have. Like softy bits, there is no taste.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I thought the lip would be good as it creates a button as you cover up the button with the softy bits?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Just FWIW...I have taken the advice of a few others and purchased latex "exercise" tubing from a local medical supply. They had several different diameters and colors. I just neatly cut off a piece about 1/2" long and s-t-r-e-t-c-h it over the end of the bit. Sometimes a little olive oil may be necessary to slide it into place.
Wouldn't happen to have a picture of the setup, and what the raw tubing looks like would you?

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Yeah id like to see them too. Those softie bits are to big for me too. But I would like a smaller softie bit. : )

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
watch out for the ebay ones. i heard they are cheap. i buy mine from just for him.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Here is a photo of the tubing. The large tubing turned out to be a little thick, so I generally stick with the green or red tubing. Also pictured is a very rare Peterson (with tubing in place), thought to have been made shortly after the American Revolution. :puffy:
Latex_tubing_with_rare_Peterson.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I use BJ Longs softy bits that I get from B&M. I figure I can help out a local manufacturer even it means I pay a bit more. I haven't noticed them disintegrating, though... Maybe I don't bite down hard enough?
-Jason

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I ordered two of them (a two-pack) with a pipe order when my PAD kicked in a week or two ago and got them a couple of days ago. I must say I don't really care much either way, with or without works just fine for me in regards to comfort, but as they do indeed keep bite marks away I decided I'd use them on the two pipes I ordered then. I'll probably add them to any pipe order I make if the web shop (no B&Ms anywhere near I live) happen to have them, but I won't go specifically looking for them for the pipes I already own.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I use softee-bits on my smaller stems to add some bulk for my teeth to grab ahold of; any wide or thick bits get a half inch of heat-shrink tubing (available at any electronics supply store), adds a bit of cushion without adding much thickness.

w1nd0wl1cker

Might Stick Around
Apr 4, 2011
I have used them myself and have found they have their advantages.
The advantage is they do eliminate bite marks and they are suprisingly comfortable. When I first started to use them, I thought for sure they would be to big and be annoying, but I grew use to them.
The downside to them for me is I find that they get really wet, and the stem is more likely to fill up with unwanted spit. So what I'm trying to say is I have to use more pipe cleaners than usual.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I'm gonna order me some of those CLEAR ones from China...Hopefully they're not too cheap...
My local B&M sells them for .75 each....not a bad price...I usually buy 10 at a time...use 3 then loose the rest??

Status
Not open for further replies.