PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
...maybe.
http://www.sjcigars.com/BalkSobTin-prod.html
I called in a few days ago asking for six tins to get the free shipping. First they said that they had six, then I realized that they were going to sell me Sasieni, and then they said that they did not have the Sobranie. Feel free to try, perhaps they did not have six tins of Sobranie, but only a couple. I did not ask because that would have been more than I wanted to spend.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
This is the part where people chime in about how it sucks and isn't the same, X is better, about how X is more like X than X

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Has anyone had the H&H match blends? I never had the original Sobranie blends, but this new one doesn't do it for me.

Jun 27, 2016
=) I've never smoked the old stuff, so I can't be sore about it!
It might be worth a call in to the place for someone looking to get a tin or two, they might actually have a few and only sell one or two at a time and wanted to get me off of the phone since I asked for six to get the free shipping.
Or they will eventually change their online inventory if they do not have any now. :puffy:

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
@Sable, So White Knight is a close duplication in your opinion? I have never had Balkan Sobranie so I’m looking for your expertise with this question? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@Sable, So White Knight is a close duplication in your opinion? I have never had Balkan Sobranie so I’m looking for your expertise with this question? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
All of the following is one man's opinion. I used to smoke Balkan Sobranie in the 1970's and '80's. I quit smoking pipes for awhile and when I came back to it I wasn't smoking English/Balkan blends so I wasn't really aware of what was up with Balkan Sobranie or that it had gone out of production.
Fast forward to the big announcement in 2011 (or 2012?) that Balkan Sobranie will be back on the market blended by Germain's. I bought 10 tins of it, excited to reacquaint myself with an old friend. I remember packing the first bowl, lighting up, and thinking "WTF??!!" because it tasted ugly and not at all like I remembered.
I don't remember how I first became aware of WhiteKnight, but I decided to try it and a few other Balkan Sobranie matches. There was something in WhileKnight that sparked that sense memory in a way that the others did not. It's not the same recipe, which makes sense as crops change. It's as close to the flavor as Russ Ouellette (who absolutely loved Balkan Sobranie and smoked it regularly) could make it using available components.
I got to ABC test WhiteKnight against some 35 year old Sobrainie stock and a tin of Germain's version a couple of years back and satisfied myself that WhiteKnight was considerably closer than the Germain's product. I don't care that Germain's has the recipe, the name, and the tin art. It doesn't have the flavor.
My stack of Germain's BS is still sitting on a shelf. I may try adding some high quality 10 year aged yenidje blending stock to it to see if I can make it more palatable.
I've also stocked up on WhiteKnight and am letting that age a bit.
Hope this helps.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Fast forward to the big announcement in 2011 (or 2012?) that Balkan Sobranie will be back on the market blended by Germain's.
I picked up a couple tins in 2012. The tins were different than the ones that I picked up 2014-Present. The tins had an iridescence to them and the labels looked slightly different. I remember smoking some of it and letting them go in a trade because I didn't enjoy it. Fast forward to 2014 when I decided to pick up a couple tins, for one reason or another, and it seemed different to me. The tins did not have the same iridescence and the tobacco tasted really good to me. I may be imagining all of this, but still believe that there have been two runs (versions) of Sobranie since it's come back and that the second run is better than the first. I'm yet to find anyone else who's experienced this, and I may be dreaming it up, I'm not sure?
Sable, maybe we should do an experiment and see if I'm dreaming this up. It sounds like you still have some of the 2012 stuff, and I have some of the more recent stuff. PM me if you want to trade 1:1 to see if there are differences?

Jun 27, 2016
I've read that the early "new" tins had a metallic green appearance to the metal, and that the tobacco wasn't very good, and that the newer "new" stuff is better, and has the brass-looking tins.

M

The first version's label had 'The' printed smaller than Balkan Sobranie and the second version had 'The' printed the same size as Balkan Sobranie, and the first version tins were a light gold color and the second version tins were brass colored. The contents of those first tins was kind of bland and flat, and the contents of the second tins was way better and had that snap and scent I had always read about. At least this was my experience, but I never hear any mention of it.
If you Google image search Balkan Sobranie, compare the first picture from tobacco reviews with the fifth picture from pipes and cigars, you can see what I'm referring to as to the differences in the 'The'. Those pictures don't give a good idea of the light gold vs. brass color of the tins though. Although, this is the case too.

Jun 27, 2016
mothernature
The first version's label had 'The' printed smaller than Balkan Sobranie and the second version had 'The' printed the same size as Balkan Sobranie, and the first version tins were a light gold color and the second version tins were brass colored. The contents of those first tins was kind of bland and flat, and the contents of the second tins was way better and had that snap and scent I had always read about. At least this was my experience, but I never hear any mention of it.
If you Google image search Balkan Sobranie, compare the first picture from tobacco reviews with the fifth picture from pipes and cigars, you can see what I'm referring to as to the differences in the 'The'. Those pictures don't give a good idea of the light gold vs. brass color of the tins though. Although, this is the case too.
You're probably on to something there, although I will guess that you may have your description of the sizes backwards, as the pics that have the bigger "THE" I know have been around for a long time, and newer pics show the "THE" being smaller, and fresh tins coming from a few different places have also had the smaller "THE", and I have not actually come across any with the larger type. I think that any brass/gold-colored tin could look green in some photos, perhaps that is where that idea came from. :puffpipe:

M

You're probably on to something there, although I will guess that you may have your description of the sizes backwards, as the pics that have the bigger "THE" I know have been around for a long time, and newer pics show the "THE" being smaller, and fresh tins coming from a few different places have also had the smaller "THE", and I have not actually come across any with the larger type. I think that any brass/gold-colored tin could look green in some photos, perhaps that is where that idea came from.
You're right. I did confuse the two. I still think there have been two versions since the re-release with the second version (small 'The') being the better of the two. In fact, I would almost bet on it, and I'm not a gambling man. :puffy:

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
The new BS is a horrid blend. I don't see what all the hype is.
White Knight and GLP's Rennaisance (the old stuff) are my top 2.

M

The new BS is a horrid blend. I don't see what all the hype is.
There is no hype, and many members on the forum share your same sentiment. Thanks for sharing your opinion too though, as it's always good to hear from someone else who doesn't like it. :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
When I see a thread where a fellow member has been nice enough to alert fellow members of a hard to find blend being in stock... who reads that and thinks "I should let them know I hate it"?

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Never heard of them either and it lets you put in 1000 tins. You all have at it.
After reading my statement above I just wanted to clarify that the statement refers to the site and not the blend. When a site lets you put in 1000 tins something is amiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.