PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
When I'd read a thread or review using the description "dish soap aftertaste" I would immediately think the writer

was a little touched in the head.
No more, and I'm sorry for naively passing such harsh judgement.
The wife and I recently received six Boswell blends.

Jen loves her Sweet Tea's mildness along with the vanilla rich smoke that fills our home.
I smoked the Northwoods... Yuck. "I'm starting to think I did not choose wisely."

The first third left me less than impressed, but mostly soured.

I kept checking my bowl for dirty dishes or at least a sudsy bubble or two.

The last two thirds mellowed minus the soap (more likely my palate simply became accustomed).
What/Who the heck is responsible for this essence oddity?

I did eat some leftover fried rice with teriyaki chicken right before smoking. A bad combo with bacci?

Maybe a curious blender getting cute and adding trace amounts of Palmolive?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Mixture 79 is the first thing which comes to mind when I hear the phrase "soapy tobacco," and to the best of my knowledge it has to do with anise being used as one of its flavorings. To my palate anise has an oily, hence soapy, taste.

Mar 1, 2014
I still say "soapy" is the wrong way to describe a Lakeland blend.

Floral, purfume, sure, but I've gotten some strong alkaline flavours off of various blends when smoking them too hot, and it's nothing like the Lakeland flavour (usually either dark flake or a Lat-bomb).

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
Thank you for your suggestions of baccis to avoid gentlemen.
I've gotten in the habit of taking note of any repeated mentioning of blends on this forum.

After three or four mentions I head on over to the review site and pore over their copious notes.

That darn Northwoods got pretty high marks.
Hunter, you think it's anise?

Could you kindly point me in a direction that covers blending; especially odd additives most smokers don't concern themselves with.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The old OTC Bond Street had that "soapy" quality too. I just bought a tin of Dan Tobacco's Non Plus Ultra and this stuff is over the top with that character. I smoked 2 bowls and each time my mouth tingled for the rest of the day. NPU makes Condor Long Cut seem like 1Q.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Could you kindly point me in a direction that covers blending; especially odd additives most smokers don't concern themselves with."
BloodWood:
Aside from reviews by the members of the Forums here, I can recommend tobaccoreviews.com. Here is a link (Mixture 79) to their collected reviews of Mixture 79. Notice that under "Flavoring" it lists "Anisette," an anise-flavored liqueur.
I hope that this information is helpful to you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Who ya' gonna call??? GHOST BUSTERS! Lakeland is the original and famous ghost producer in pipes. Just keep

your Lakeland tobaccos out of the rest of your pipes or enjoy it with every other blend you smoke, or so I've heard.

I just don't do soap. Not yet, anyway.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Well since I can't find the thread that Drwatson put this tin of Dan Tobacco Liberty up for grabs this one will do. This blend is AWFUL. I can't believe the same company blends BBBB. I never understood it when someone said a blend smelled or tasted soapy...now I do. The first lighting immediately made me sneeze from the disgusting floral perfume odor. It took awhile to get past the sneezing. I bravely relit and tried to give it a chance but it didn't get any better. I put the pipe down for over an hour before trying again with same results. I give up, and I'm the third person to try this stuff. I will send it to anyone that likes this type of blend. :roll: 8O

Mar 1, 2014
I'm not sure if it's just because I never looked at a review of Mixture 79. after trying Ennerdale, but after reading everyone's description of it here I have to try some of that stuff.

Given the popularity across the pond I've been wondering what happened to all the American made Lakeland style blends, now I know.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I got that soapy taste from Ennerdale Flake and will never allow a Lakeland blend in a bow of any of pipes ever again
Ennerdale is the first, and only experience (and assuredly the LAST) I had with a Lakeland blend. Thankfully I had the foresight to stuff the damnable disgusting crap in a cob. Not only did it foul up the smell in my living room, but it even permeated through the closed tin and continued to smell up the entire room the next day until I wrapped it up in foil and then proceeded to sell the foul cheap perfume soapy scented shit to someone who enjoys it. Ones individual taste is indeed strange, but be that as it may. Personally, I'd rather smoke dung soaked in turpentine rather than ever torching up a bowl of the putrid shit again! :lol:

Mar 1, 2014
Some reviewers harken the flavor of Mixture 79. to that of Dr Pepper.

I'm doomed now, there's a tub on the way.

(And Ennerdale tastes like gummy bears.)

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I purchased some GH Rum Twist with my last order. Not bad, my wife loves the note, but very hard to keep lit, even after extensive drying, and definitely soapy. Like ivory soap.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Sorry castello I think my Ennerdale flake is buried in the landfill tip by now.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@weezell - I totally approve of your new avatar! Slowly but surely the Condor clones are insinuating themselves into every aspect of forum life. Before you know it you wake up a green color with an interesting lakeland essence coming from every pore of your skin. :rofl:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In a word, Condor: absolutely the best, most lovely and ravishing, potent, dark, 60-70% more expensive than US tin prices, utterly unique, all day smoke for those who want a wallop on the hour-I think you get the picture. Truly this is soap at its resplendent best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.