So the size of my pipe collection just doubled!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
New Cigars
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Yes that's right it just went from one to two!
I started with a Peterson Dublin #68 and I could not be happier with it. But even with the little amount of time that I smoke I wanted a second. When I started looking at pipes I noticed the Rattray's Lowland series but they did not have them at my local pipe place and they had the Peterson so that is where I started. I chatted with the guy at the store and he said he could get the Lowland in but it would cost me $172 before tax (the price of Rattray's in North America just went up by 40% according to him). A little out of my price range so I started to search online and found that Haddock's Pipe Shop in the Netherlands carried what I wanted and could get it to my door for $150. Sold. It only took a week from the Netherlands to my door and the service was great. I had a some questions that were answered quickly.
So here are my two pipe. The Peterson Dublin and the Rattray's Lowland #48

P1210969small_zps214c6d42.jpg

P1210972small_zps53136131.jpg

I also ordered 200 9mm filters for half the cost I can get there here for no additional postage.

P1210964small_zps30de5043.jpg

Some pipe cleaners, a few filters and lighter were a nice token of thanks.

P1210960small_zps063176d1.jpg

P1210959small_zpsf6d84719.jpg

and a 10% off coupon to use before the end of the year... hmm that might come in handy.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been eyeing those Rattray's pipes for a while (big fan of their Bagpiper's Dream blend) and that one you got there is a realy beauty. Let us know how it smokes for you. :) I love that green!

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Nice set up, and sounds like you have the early signs of PAD! I never thought I would like another color besides natural, or wood color stains on pipes. However that green..... has me green with envy. :lol: It is a real beautiful pipe, and I think I'm going to try and stain the next one I make that color, or as close as I can get.
Congrats again on the set up, those are some great pipes. Welcome to the forums if I hadn't said it before.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm a big fan of the Rattrays. I bought myself a Butcher's Boy shape 23 sandblast with the double stem set and it's one of my favorites and I might pick up an Old Gowrie shape 1 for a X-mas present to myself.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I just hope you aren't planning on keeping that pace. An exponential rate of PAD will fill any room post haste. Great looking pipes; happy smoking!

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
teufelhund: Yeah I better not double it each time or I will be in real trouble.
Peterson have some nice green pipes as well. I have always liked green but never knew I would I would find a selection of green pipes.
I have never tried any Rattray Tobaccos but I might have to pick up a tin of Red Rapparee to go with the new pipe.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Awesome green pipe and the grain on that peterson looks awesome. I just made a big purchase, maybe I shouldn't be hanging around this forum too much.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Well I feel I have had enough time with my new pipe to break it in and give a report. I have to admit it started a little shaky as the bowl got pretty hot the first few times I slowly smoked a half bowl which led to a lot of pausing for it to cool down before relighting. Now the carbon layer is building up so the bowl does not get hot just lovely and warm. Oddly the 9mm filter seemed to be cutting off the draw sometimes as the drilling is a little up and to the right and interferes with the lip of the filter. Then I discovered little “clamps” deep in the stem that hold the filter a little further in creating enough gap that there is no longer an issue no matter what 9mm filter I put in there.
Now that I have gotten to know the pipe a little I love it and never have a problem with it from one smoke to the next. It is lighter than the Peterson so easier to clench. Mostly I sit and smoke while doing nothing or reading but some lovely sunny still fall days led to me getting a little slow light yard work done with the pipe in my mouth. Wonderful!
At the same time as I got this pipe I got my first tin of Frog Morton (On The Town) which is worth all the raving I have been reading about on here. I also got a tin of Rattray's Red Rapparee after seeing a few interesting reviews and I figure hey might as well stick “Rattrays” tobacco in a Rattrays pipe. Well what an interesting mix this is. I was a little surprised by the undertone of old boot leather in the first bowl of it but now that I have had a few bowls the beef jerky/ leather taste is growing on me quite a lot.
I now have an itch for another pipe... I am beginning to worry I have the early signs of PAD.
My son (who is almost seven) told me I need to get a more exciting pipe (why my pipes are not interesting enough I didn't understand). I did some flipping through images and he thought something like this pretty nifty Nate King gear punk at Smoking pipes (link) is what I should get.
002-579-0026_4.jpg

Now I think this is pretty visually appealing but I am not sure I would ever smoke it. When I explained I didn't have that kind of money for a pipe I got a lecture about how if I could not afford a new pipe I should not be thinking about getting another one. Somehow $2000 is the same as $200 (or $20) in his world. Researching a new pipe sure is fun and if I even get too close to buying it I can always ask for another lecture from my son to slow down the PAD problem.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
fmgee that is a stunning "abstract" kinda pipe isn't it.. Pretty cool. The Peterson Dublin has amazing grain, almost the same grain as my Mauro Armellini "Europa". The Rattray is an interesting pipe, haven't seen a lot of coloured pipes like that. I have seen them advertised but to me the colour makes them look "unbrair like" if that makes any sense.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Toby: I just started carving my first pipe so I have been thinking about the design a bit. My son keeps telling me I have to make it like the crazy one above.
It is interesting what general features of a pipe will draw a person to it. Most of them are tan to brown in colour. The first time I saw a picture of the green Rattray's I knew I wanted one. It is certainly not an image thing as I smoke alone in my shed most of the time. My local tobacconist will not stock any pipe with "colour" on it. Which means he is fine with brown and black. There are some crazy looking pipes out there and most of them I have no interest in at all but I like the diversity.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice pair of pipes. If you don't smoke every day, you have a good rotation for a few times a week. Fine

looking briars. The gear punk pipe looks like something from the pop art era in the '60's; it would have

fit right in as sculpture in the 1966 show at the Chicago Art Institute.

Status
Not open for further replies.