PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I am in the UK for a short trip and of course will visit a pipe shop as long as I find some time off. There are a few discoveries:
First of all, the specialty pipe shop I visited (http://www.yell.com/biz/herbert-love-aberdeen-aberdeen-7185763/) that has even its own blends do not have any Condor or St. Bruno tobaccos. The tobacconist there said those are OTC blends that they cannot compete with the supermarkets in terms of pricing.

Then I asked him to pick one out of two plug tobaccos for me - "Murray's" Warrior Plug vs Mick McQuaid (http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pj-carroll-dundalk-ireland-tobacco-co-mick-mcquaid-gtimage-heavy). And he recommended Mick McQuaid as a quite good tobacco. While he didn't say anything bad about the Warrior Plug, he did evaluate positively about a few other tobaccos. Out of many brands, he seems to have a lot of faith for Samuel Gawith and J. F. Germain.
Of course, I still got the St. Bruno Flake and the Condor Long Cut in the grocery store. And it reminds me that I am relatively lucky to be a pipe smoker living in Germany, in terms of the cost of tobaccos

- 12-14£ / 50g in the UK

- 8-14€ / 50g in Germany

- $8-11 / 2 oz in the US (I hope it is still true as of today)
All I can say is those 'deterring level of tax' are already in effect in the UK and in EU. However, as long as the passion of pipe smokers last, there is still one way or another to get our hands on nice tobaccos.
:puffpipe:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
A friend from NewFoundland, Canada, brought me a pouch of Amphora Full Aroma. He paid $40.00 Canadian, which is 20.6 British Pounds,

28.76 Euros, and 32.71 US dollars. A similar pouch of Captain Black is about $10.00 USD.

Naturally, Amphora Full Aroma is the best tobacco in the world, a delicious cherry vanilla aromatic in which the sweet flavorings burn off instantly to reveal the raw tobacco flavor underneath, and release a near fatal helping of nicotine to dazzle the senses.

Well worth the money!

May 4, 2015
$8-11 / 2 oz in the US (I hope it is still true as of today)
Online, often, but not at my B&M. I can't get out of there with a tin for much less than $20 after sales tax, which is of course calculated on the already taxed price.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
As a Brit I can say that the cost of petrol, beer and tobacco here is honestly taking the piss.
The Chancellor of the Exchequer will deliver another budget next month and every time he opens his mouth he puts his hand in my wallet. I expect to see prices go up again.

owen

May 28, 2014
Welcome to my world of pain. Also the choice is much less, and all the super recommend tobaccos are unavailable. G L Pease is available but with postage costs the vintage tobaccos that you guys get are the same price as some standard tobaccos. I cry when I see the prices and choice of tobaccos on the sponsors pages, also some of the blends made here are harder to come by. The G L Pease does have some age, while people save up enough money to buy a tin.
I feel better now.

(And we never struggle for condor and st bruno).

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
G L Pease is available but with postage costs the vintage tobaccos that you guys get are the same price as some standard tobaccos
I often wish we had some of the American blends to try here. I know of the place where we can purchase Pease blends but the prices are stupid and there often seems to be none in stock. It is a shame because we hear so many good things about them.
Speaking of blends we can't get. I was rather surprised to find that we can't get the Capstan Blue flake in tins here. I was not expecting that when I went looking recently.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Jazz that was the tobacco I had in mind.
Well there you go. Great minds and all that.
I sure am curious why we can't get it in the UK though. The ready rubbed is common but not the tinned flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.