PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
So here goes, I have a full time layaway plan worked out at my B&M where I make payments and as soon as one's paid off, another goes in. My taste in pipes varies greatly! He has in stock, pipes of styles and shapes ( of several brands ) that have been discontinued, and many new styles that have just came out. It usually takes him a LONG time to get his orders in from certain Irish and Itallian makers and so I'm always thinking to myself "if I don't get that new one how long will it be before or if he ever gets another one" and "if I don't get that one that's been discontinued I won't be ever be able to". It confounding to say the least! Does anyone else have this problem, or has my PAD gotten so out of hand that I'm on the verge of crazy, or have I gone past the edge and off the cliff?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
As much as I like to patronize my local B&M, greater than 90% of my purchases come from the on-line vendors advertised here on this forum. Just can't beat the prices and selection.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
+1 on Kashmir's advice.
I do go to the local B & M if I want to try a single tin of a new blend. The price may be higher, but it's balanced by no shipping cost. But for bigger purchases, I go to one of our sponsors on here, who often have free shipping.

Aug 14, 2012
In NYS everything costs far more than online, so I agree with the guys above. I almost haven't been in a pipe shop since I got a computer.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I disagree. I support my b&m every chance I get. I buy my "everyday" baccy from him once a week. I buy all my pipes from him. (He will match or better the online price. + if I see something online he'll get it for me on the same basis). B&m's are so far & few between over here in the UK that I'll support them every chance I get! I'd hate to see them disappear entireley!

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I suppose it's a good thing that the B&M in my college town doesn't have a wide selection, and the one at home has IL taxes to deal with, so I'm never really tempted to buy pipes there. I will buy tobaccos occasionally, and I bout my first "basket" pipes there, but that's about it. On the other hand, though, I never order cigars online, so every one I get is a B&M support.

As to the OP, I guess mine would be pretty bad as well if the temptation was always right in front of my face and cash-payable. My parents see my credit card bill, so I am a little more selective and strategic about online purchases!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I order from the online stores as well, but I prefer to support my local B&M as much as possible. I'm usually in there once or twice a week. I did have a web buying streak for about 6 months or so, but in the last 6 months or more not a week has gone by when I didn't stop in at least once. Melvin, the owner, is a great guy and I sometimes stop in just to talk. It's also right on my way home from taking my wife to work. I also don't care to pay a little more to support him as it's hard to find people and places like that anymore. He also has some great house blends as I'm sure y'all have seen me post on the "What Are You Smoking" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.