PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I travel to Europe quite a bit for business. Instead of spending yet another weekend in London, I decided to fly over to Dublin for the weekend. Primarily to visit the Peterson pipe shop (I'll also check out Fox across the street). I'm going to buy a pipe, even if its more expensive there. Just so I can say "hey I bought this at the Peterson shop in Dublin". Yeah, I know it sounds stupid, but what the hell. I like their pipes and I love University Flake.
I'm planning on going the whole 9 yards. A system pipe with a P-Lip. I'm a little nervous about getting a P-Lip as many folks here do not care for them. But a system pipe I will try!
I'm curious if anyone else has been there recently. Do they have a smoking lounge? Can you sample their tobaccos while there?
Lastly, on another note, I spend a lot of time in Munich but have not ventured out to many tobacconists there. If anyone can recommend a good to visit, please let me know.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Hey natbio hope you enjoy your trip to Dublin :) unfortunately neither James Fox nor Peterson have a smoking lounge and the most you will get in terms of sampling is a sniff of the tobacco. Due to our smoking laws you are pretty much stuck outside to smoke. However if you want a smoke inside and feel like a cigar there is a place called The Decent Cigar Emporium on Grafton Street right next to a Captain America restaurant, pretty sure they have a small area you can smoke in. They also do really good coffee apparently although I have never tried it.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I love the p-lip and the system pipes. You might also consider doing a factory tour - which is outside of Dublin. Someone on the forums mentioned that if you did the tour you get a free pipe as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one P-Lip pipe, a Killarney 999 (Rhodesian) and I thoroughly enjoy it, though for the

rest of my pipes I stick to fishtails. I don't think you'll get any price break at all (as you have

correctly anticipated) but purchasing a Peterson from its mother church is worth some Euros.

If you have time, you might want to check out St. Patrick's Cathedral, within easy walking

distance of Grafton's shopping district. The satiric novelist and former dean of the cathedral,

Jonathan Swift is buried there, remarkably beside his lifetime woman companion to whom he

was not married. Imagine that in modern terms -- and we talk about progress! I also enjoy

Dublin's writers' museum, though maybe that's my special interest: Joyce, Yeats, Beckett, etc.

Dublin is a sweet city with an angry and turbulent past. I once asked a riverside vender if there

were boat tours on the Liffy, and he gently took me to the rail overlooking the river and pointed

out a shopping cart (the Irish call it a trolley) on its side half submerged in the middle of the river,

way to shallow for boats.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm envious, Natibo! When I was in Dublin in 2010, my schedule didn't allow time to pop in. . . I just got to walk by!
If you think about it, it would be great if you could grab some photos and post them here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see what the store's like.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
mso489:
It may not be the Liffy -- I'm sorry, I can't recall -- but there are Viking-themed DUCK tours that get you out on the water in Dublin. You even get to float right by U2's waterside recording studio.
Bob

Dec 24, 2012
I was there in late 2012 for a conference and bought a couple of pipes there, Great selection of Petes, as you would suspect. One pipe I bought was a large House pipe with a deep black blast. I love that pipe and have never seen anything else like it at any of the online vendors or on ebay.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
P-lips can take a bit of getting used to, but are not so bad once you open up the hole a bit. I have one, an 03 shape that gets smoked pretty regularly.
Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Hey Natibo have a great trip and please if you can and get the chance lets see some pics of the Peterson and James Fox shop in Dublin.
AS far as P-lips are concerned I love them. Be safe!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
You lucky devil - sounds like a great idea.
Just so I can say "hey I bought this at the Peterson shop in Dublin". Yeah, I know it sounds stupid
Doesn't sound stupid to me - I'd do the same.
Concerning P-Lips - I tried one and did not like it at all, but probably worth getting one just so you know. Still, if I were you, I'd also pick up a fishtail while you're there in case you cannot enjoy the P-Lip.
Hope you will take pics of the area and inside if possible and then share with us. Have a great time.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I agree with numbersix. Just buy an extra stem with a fishtail while you're there and you'll be assured of a comfy smoke. I can tolerate P-lips but prefer fishtails. I think in many cases it has to do with whether one's teeth like the shape of the P-lip or not. Everybody's different.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
My Mark Twain has a Plip, absolutely love it.
Also buying a peterson in the peterson pipe shop is winning! NOT STUPID!
I hope you have fun, make sure to take lots of pictures and show us. :puffy:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Nat, sounds like a wonderful trip! Bragging rights are a give me.
I really like the P-Lip - have 4 of them and while it took a bit to learn them, they are my 1st choice for a Peterson stem.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
That is awesome. I'm totally envious and completely get your desire to buy a Peterson from the Peterson store -- even if it is a few dollars more. Hope it is an amazing experience for you.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I pretty much buy all my pipes exclusively from the store or Fox. The guys in Peterson are a mix of pipe and cigar experts. Don't miss the humidor downstairs, even if you do not smoke cigars. My last purchase, a gorgeous 03 hinge lid, had a wee blemish on the bowl, I'm guessing from a drop on the floor, and that saved me bit of Euro.
Don't forget to recover your VAT!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I pretty much buy all my pipes exclusively from the store or Fox. The guys in Peterson are a mix of pipe and cigar experts. Don't miss the humidor downstairs, even if you do not smoke cigars. My last purchase, a gorgeous 03 hinge lid, had a wee blemish on the bowl, I'm guessing from a drop on the floor, and that saved me bit of Euro.
Don't forget to recover your VAT!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
You lucky dog! I wish I was going to the Peterson shop in Dublin! Like you, I would most definitely buy a pipe while there, just to say I bought it from them. Though I would probably try to get my hands on one of their European only line of pipes. As for the P-lips, I have 7 of their P-lip pipes, including 3 Systems, and I really enjoy them. That being said, I also have 7 of their standard FT pipes that I really enjoy as well. But if you really want the whole Peterson experience, then go with the P-lip System, since that's what they mostly became famous for!
Be safe and smoke one for me while you're there!
P. S. We expect pics upon your return, lol!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.