PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Driving to Timmies to pick up the sunday morning tea/coffee and doughnuts, I get pulled over by the cops. He casually walks up to the car and asks to see my papers, then he proceeds to ask me what kind of pipe I'm smoking and type of tobacco in my pipe. I replied "Brigham Dublin 1DOT and Mac Baren's Plumcake" Then he says with a chuckle, 'I saw you smoking a pipe and was curious if it was marijana or not. Where do you buy your tobacco?' I questioned why he asked me this and he replied that the province wants to crack down on tobacco products coming off the native reserve close by. I did say I had purchased tobacco from them in the past but nothing recently and told him where I had purchased the pouch I was smoking from. He then said, "It smells really good, could I have a bowl for when I go on my break" He produced a beautiful Peterson System Standard Rusticated P-Lip pipe. I was floored lol. He said he has trouble finding tobacco other than the OTC blends and didn't mean to intrude on asking me for some to try as he recently starting smoking pipes he inherrited from his grandfather. I gave him the pouch and he packed a bowl and we chatted for a bit about hunting, fishing and pipes. I told him about this site, and the e-tailers that I'm aware of so far. He looked it up on his iPhone right then and there and said he was going to place an order when he took his lunch. He appologized for pulling me over, thanked me for the sample bowl and gave me his card in which he wrote his cell # on and said if I ever wanted to 'chill out and have a beer and a pipe or hit up the range or the river bank to give him a call'. I was absoutley shocked and still am a little lol. Never had anything like this happen in my life before and don't expect I ever will again. I'm just glad he was cool and didn't give me a ticket for doing 75km in a 50km zone lol.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I gotta say you got lucky with that one! I have been hassled a few times by the police in my area, even going so far as to question me in my garage with the door open. Never met one that smoked or was even considerate abou my choice to smoke.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I hate "the cop was cool/nice to me" stories, but that was a great story. Something about the pipe brings out the best in people (or maybe it's the other way round). Really, great story. Thanks for sharing. And sorry you got pulled over.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I'm not one to favor the foot soldiers of today, however he seemed levelheaded about stuff and he's just doing his job. I asked him what would happen if I did have rez tobacco, he said I would get fined the unpaid taxes on the product, and charged with 'possession of contraband tobacco' and have to surrender all tobacco in my possession that I could not prove was purchased off the rez. I think that is total BS but that's they way it goes I guess. I'd rather order online anyway, it's still cheaper than rez bulk or pouches.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I don't know much about reservations, your not allowed to take tobacco off of the reservation but your allowed to buy it?

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Yes, Ontario law states you are alowed to purchase tobacco on the rez, however you are not allowed to leave the rez with the tobacco. It is meant to be consumed on the rez. Same goes for hunting/fishin out there. I can go with a band member, I cannot take the meat off the rez it must be consumed on the rez unless it is a gift from the band party and it requires that to be in righting. This place isn't called Ban-tario, or Onterrible for nothing lol!!
EDIT: Spelling cause I just can't type tonight lol

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
That is an awesome story. I had one with a local fire marshall not to long ago when they showed up because we had a propane fire pit going and the nosy neighbor thought the house was gong to catch fire. LOL two engines showed, the fire marshall, when he walked up and saw that we had a small little fire and were smoking our pipes he said "next time guys, invite me".

Anyways that is really shocking about he rez tobacco.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Huh, well I learned something new tonight about the reservations. How do they prove you bought it on the rez other than them asking and you anwsering?

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Huh, well I learned something new tonight about the reservations. How do they prove you bought it on the rez other than them asking and you anwsering?
Canadians, eh ;-) Can't lie and say "sorry" all the time!

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Most of my encounters with cops while smoking a pipe have been rather pleasant. That said, one or two automatically assume I was smoking something green. Which makes no bloody sense. "Yes officer, I'm smoking something illegal in public for all to see." It's like when cops stop people who are open carrying, it's asinine.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yep. Been there, done that. The critical thing is when the cop pulls you over, make sure you've got the pipe lit and clenched. Worst thing is to take it out of your mouth and attempt to hide it. Then the alarm bells go off.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Great story! I can only hope if I get pulled over, the cop is a pipe or cigar smoker too.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm from Ontario, and I would never have thought something like that could happen here. Very cool story!

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Reciepts, and they can tell by the type of 'duty paid' wrapper or sticker. Even if it was rez baccy the courts won't waste times on something that small. They are after the people who have cases of cigarettes not packages or cartons so I still don't understand y he stopped me. I think he just wanted to meet another pipe smoker in the city lol.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
ah, that's just kilometers uber, that's only like 12 miles over. Speed limits are a suggestion around here, the limit is generally the slowest a car will go on a particular road.

Status
Not open for further replies.