Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Inspired by a recent post here, I decided that I needed a Crappy Pipe:
2v2Jqr8Lrx3L6Bn.jpg
2v2Jqr8Tzx3L6Bn.jpg
Overall, I'm really happy about this pipe. Heath did a wonderful job on it.
Cons:

-The finish is a little crappy, but nothing that can't be quickly fixed with some MicroMesh and carnuba wax.

-The bowl coat is a little crappy, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little sandpaper before smoking the first time.

-The airway at the mortise is a little rough, but nothing that can't be fixed with a file and some sandpaper.

-Although the briar is quite beautiful, it's clearly a reject block, maybe from Scottie's shop? It has a lot of pits and non-fatal cracks, none of which are filled, but allowed to remain as part of the pipe. I really like that.
Pros:

-Beautiful shape

-Very well executed.

-Has a wonderful patina of pits and small cracks, which I really enjoy seeing.

-It was 50 bucks, man, lighten up!

-Heath has an easy to use website and he ships fast. Free shipping over $100.

-I can take this to the pipe club and say "Look at this Crappy pipe I just bought!"
Overall impression is that if Heath had used a higher grade block, and spent a little more time on the smoothness of the chamber and airway, and just a little more time on the finish, this could easily be a $300 pipe. As it is, though, I love it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Warren, it's sitting on a textured glass patio table. It's been raining like Noah's worst nightmare here of late, and the light was quite nice after the storm passed.
Just an iPhone pic.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Fascinating pipe Dan. Do you use it for knocking braddles into the wall or something? Is it made of real wood or is it a massive block of Brylon?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, terrific lighting! After looking at the Crappy® pipe, I noticed the b/g, thanks to Warren. A light diffuser from the bottom!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kind of a brilliant marketing and branding approach. People seem pretty happy with the product itself while they enjoy its derogatory name. Taking a negative and making it the shining feature, like the old vaudevillian Jimmy Durante who had a very large nose and rather than having it surgically corrected made a career out of being the Schnoze. He could sing, dance and do comedy, and all the insults when he was a kid made him a classic Irish brawler. "Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!" That sure is one crappy pipe.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Here is a picture from the Chicago show this year. You can see the Crappy Pipes sign and table in the background. It was PACKED! Lots of attention to this new brand for sure.
JJMNPha.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.