So I Bought the Pipe Shape I Hate

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shaintiques
  • Latest reply from docwatson
  1. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to say that there is just something about the OOM Paul shape that does nothing for me. I've seen posts on here about this, guys ask things like what is the shape that you hate or whatever. I know that most guys love this shape, but again I just haven't found one that I like until now. Just won this one and can't wait to have it in hand.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like a hefty piece. It should be fun to smoke.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's an imposing piece of briar. I'm the same way about bulldogs, but I know I will buy one at some point. Never say never.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 3 Oom Paul shaped pipes: a Barling, and Edwards, and a Pioneer meerschaum, They have nice, deep chambers, for a long smoke. They clench almost effortlessly. Smoke also tends to go right up the nose from the rim, similar to a nose-warmer. That may be an anatomical issue, however. I like them, and I am keeping an eye out for a Peterson in the Oom Paul, I think it is the 02 shape number.
    A year ago I would never have bought a bulldog either, and now I have three of those. Never say never.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know, I've never liked that shape either, always seemed like there was something vulgar about it but I could never put my finger on it. Like you, though, I ended up buying one, but gave it to my idiot brother along with so many of my others.

Yours is much more attractive than mine was, though. It was a huge, black, blasted monstrosity with a bowl almost deep enough to put my entire thumb into.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never liked that shape either

+1 but congrats anyway - a substantial pipe for sure—gotta have at least one.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The guy smoking an Oom Paul, when asked, "How's it hangin'?" The answer is always, "Well, thanks!"

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe, I have always liked OoM Pauls. I am the same way with volcanos. But you never know I may catch my eye some day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really like Oom Pauls. That is a nice one, Dave. Enjoy it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Oom Pauls!!

allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The deep bowl would be great. I would love to to fill that with some BBF and watch a movie.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats on your new pipe. I am also not a fan of that shape mainly because of the passing of a pipe cleaner issue. I hope yours is a great smoker for you.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too, hate that shape. I think they are ridiculos looking.

Your particular pipe is almost comically chunky. It kind of works for the shape. Not bad!

But I will not ever own one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will report on smokeablility and how it takes a cleaner when it comes. The more I smoke the more I really like bent pipes or good clenchers. We will see how this one fits.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mthanded

mthanded

Login to Send PM

I like the look of your new pipe. I bought this Savinelli and it smokes cool and long.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. prettyinpink648

prettyinpink648

Login to Send PM

I like it! I hope you are able to enjoy it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a MASSIVE Oom Paul I got from Marty Pulvers. The thing is the size of my fist...and that may actually be downplaying its size. Marty had to write me after I noted my interest in it to be sure that I understand how big it was. He told me I could send it back no questions asked if I was too shocked when I saw it. It is a beast, but hangs and clenchs with almost no effort.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got one O~P/Boswell rusticated with smooth rim, dedicated to
    Aromatics, great jaw-hanger and does Aro and Burley blends
    like no other...give her time/try some different blends... U might
    find you really enjoy it

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Looks like it will be a good smoker. My first briar was an Oom Paul.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I can understand how people would find the shape 'rediculous', but I find the bents are just more comfortable to have in my mouth when typing on this forum.

Allan

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

My lone shape, a GBD Prehistoric (gift from member Weezel, btw.) smokes quite well and hangs just perfectly. It is great for reading and the deep bowl packs a 90 minute or so smoke. This one does not pass a cleaner, as with most Oom-Pauls I suspect.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I got the pipe, first it is actually a smaller pipe, but the bowl is very deep. 2 really cool things about it. First it was made in Israel and has some Hebrew stamped on the side. The stem is obviously hand cut, and the pipe was unsmoked. That is not the case now, smoked it this evening, nice even draw, hangs great, this pipe may convert me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just saw this thread for the first time a few minutes ago, Dave. When I saw the oddly carved lines on the bowl I thought, "Looks like a Mastersen design."

After reading your latest post it's a pretty safe bet this burner was made by the Shalom Pipe Factory which, in turn, made the following brands: Alpha, Andersen, Burl King, Fader, Goliath Briar, Krisson, Mastersen and Trophy. (info from Pipedia.)

I am curious about one thing though. What made you decide to pull the trigger on this Oom Paul over all the others you've seen since first picking up a pipe?

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Certain pipes will speak to you. Some shapes I like and some I don't. I'm not a fan of Calabash pipes but maybe some day I'll own one. It's hard to say. I'm not a big fan of Oom Pauls either, but I do like some of them. Here is one that I have. I like it and its a great smoking pipe.

Wally Frank Oom Paul:

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. patiobum

patiobum

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice pipe !!

I have an Oom Paul meer that my wife picked out and gave to me one Christmas many years ago. Only one that I have but I do enjoy schmoking Latakia in it.

cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.......

martin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

it was made in Israel and has some Hebrew stamped on the side

I thought it looked a little familiar. I have an Israeli made pipe in the shape of an ancient urn... it has the same lines running through it to make it look like cracked pottery.

That is an impressive pipe. Looks like a good smoker and a good self-defense piece! Hope you enjoy it!!

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Metalhead

Love that pipe! the shape, the polish, the bend. Everything about it. My absolute favorite shape and finish.

Hope that it will give you many years of smoking pleasure.

Allan

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually don't know why they made the lines on it, it is a nice piece of briar and I would have left it smooth, but anyway, I liked it because of the high wall in between the bowl and shank. Also it is actually a small pipe. The pipe itself is only 4.5 inches high, but the bowl is 2 inches deep. I like the full bend of the stem, and that the stem is lucite. It looks like something I envision a hobbit smoking, or Tolkien himself. It has a nice even shape, but with all pipes that I like it is hard to put my finger on why this one. I am generally drawn of course to a nice straight grain or birdseye, but sometimes the grain doesn't really matter, the pipe just calls to you. I love pipes of course and have a general problem with PAD, I buy and sell a lot, but actually rarely buy for myself, either because I have expensive taste and most of the pipes I really want I could never buy, or because I like what I like and I don't just want any pipe. Especially now that I make pipes and cut my own stems, I tend to only buy real craftsmanship, and I could see that in this pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an Oom Paul also, my Peterson, dedicated to english tobaccos. I'll eventually get another, with a fishtail mouthpiece instead.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definitely one of the most comfortable pipe to hold in your mouth because of the deep bend. And another benefit is that the smoke rising up from the chamber makes the aroma even more enjoyable.
    Here is a photo of a Castello Occhio that I enjoy.

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cmdrmcbragg, ejames, mcitinner1, elpfeife, condorlover1, portalhq, tbradsim1, ssjones, apiperisdown, cosmicfolklore, owen, daveinlax, andya27, daimyo, oldtoby, pitchfork, 7ach, terrygoldman123, mso489, easterntraveler, agnosticpipe