So, Anyone ever Tried this Amish Pipe Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
First time I've heard about it, and interested. Seems like the U.S. version of Semois ... I'd love to hear your thoughts.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
All I have to go on are two articles that suggest that there is some serious tobacco farming going on, and a lively discussion on reddit. I was wondering if anyone had heard of it / tasted Amish pipe tobacco, and to learn more :)
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2012/8/10/tobacco-roads.html

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Tobacco-In-Amish-Country_7556/p/1

http://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/1m0rxs/would_anyone_be_interested_in_organicly_grown/

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
But you know ... according to the article there are over 1,000 Amish tobacco growers doing things the way like they were done in the good old days. That just begs to be catered to folks who are predominantly nostalgic, uhm ... us pipe smokers ;-)

zulucollector

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Yes, the Amish do smoke tobacco. As noted above, they do use matches, not lighters. In addition to the Amish, the Mennonites - mostly Old Order Mennonites - also farm tobacco. Most of what they grow is Burley. They grow gorgeous tobacco, as you might imagine, and their yield is incredible per acre. I've made friends with some of the farmers there over the years. They sell their tobacco (the majority of it) in advance contracts to the big companies (names you would know but I probably shouldn't cite here).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The only Amish blend I've smoked is Indian Summer. Funny enough, I found it in Germany while on a business trip. Interesting stuff as I recall but it has been about 10 years since I've smoked it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The Mennonites in South America also grow. I know a very cool Amish man who smokes homemade hand rolled cigars. Not made in his home, but made in someone's home.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
really interesting stuff. thanks for posting... I would like to get my hands on some of this stuff and give it a try.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You aren't going to find any really unique varieties from the commercial growers. It's destined for the cigarette market. But what you will find is organic tobacco, and possibly some unique varieties that people grow for their own consumption.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
@hfearly

Thanks for the post. The links took me off for a pleasant trip around the area. I visited the oldest pipe shop in the country. I had to go look up "drumlin" which is always a pleasant go.
I took a path less traveled by and that has made all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.