PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Was at the store to grab a soda tonight and saw some Snus behind the counter and on a whim bought a can. I bought Camel Mellow and it taste pretty good. I've never been able to really get into dip and I'm often in situations where I wouldn't be able to spit. This has a little less nicotine than I was hoping for and I got some taste but was a little disappointed in the amount of taste. Looking some stuff up I found that Snus from Sweden is stronger and better in many ways.

Two questions:

1. What is your favorite Snus

2. Are there any dependable online retailers that you use?

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I like General brand snus. It's from Sweden and comes as 'white' which I find strong enough, and pretty tasty, or 'titanium' which has nearly double the nicotine.
I get it at a b&m called the tobacco outlet. Quick online searches in the past have yielded nothing.
Edit: apparently it comes in many flavors and strengths but the 2 above are what I've tried. They are unflavored, with a nice, strong tobacco taste.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I prefer nasal snuff over snus but both can be obtained thru Mr. Snuff online.
They have frequent deals and a customer loyalty program that's pretty good.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I heard that in Sweden, the don't label their snus, any one has seen or know about this, they said that they steam their tobacco leaves, instead of fire curing it, which makes the cancer risk really low.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I prefer nasal snuff over snus but both can be obtained thru Mr. Snuff online.
They have frequent deals and a customer loyalty program that's pretty good.
I came to say this. Great service and prices.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I was able to quit a 25 year cigarette habit with the help of snus. There are many flavours and strengths available so it may take awhile to find one that is right for you. It is true that the genuine Swedish snus is far superior to the US made stuff. The US snus manufacturers also happen to be major cigarette manufacturers and one has to wonder if they are making crap snus to keep people away from it and on their cigs.
I used a variety of snus but the one I used most was Thunder Frosted. It is quite strong and has a spearmint-like flavour. It is also available in different portion sizes so if you like the taste and don't need the higher nic of a regular portion you can use Thunder Frosted mini portions. A bonus to the minis is that they are more discreet if that is a concern.
I've used a few online retailers, the most reliable in my experience is snuscentral.com.
I prefer nasal snuff over snus

Same here, winter is coming and my snuff intake is ramping up.
they said that they steam their tobacco leaves, instead of fire curing it, which makes the cancer risk really low.

Yes, the tobacco is heat pasteurised which results in lower TSNA levels than other methods of curing. This apparently results in a lower cancer risk.
@stickframer I was recently in my local B&M, the only place that sells snus around me and they told me that once their current stock is done that's it. Their distributor is no longer going to carry it. Not sure if it's the same for you out west but if you like to buy locally you may want to check that out.

May 4, 2015
Chewing tobacco isn't very popular at all. Dipping is. The confusion comes because most dippers call dip "chew" even though it's not chewed.

May 4, 2015
Generally, yes. Don't get me wrong - people still chew, and chewing tobacco is still readily available, it's not not nearly as prevalent as dipping (which is often called both chew and snuff.)

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I heard that in Sweden, the don't label their snus, any one has seen or know about this, they said that they steam their tobacco leaves, instead of fire curing it, which makes the cancer risk really low
They take freshly cured leaf and subject it to temps upwards of 100C for 12 to 24 hrs. This is why cancer risk is non existent with properly processed snus.
The reason: Once tobacco is cured ( turned from green to brown) bacteria continue to grow on the leaf. This bacteria takes some of the major alkaloids such as nornicotine etc and slowly converts them into tobacco specific nitrosamines, which are cancer causing. By using freshly cured leaf and subjecting them to high temps the bacteria are destroyed and not available to do any converting.
This is also why Big Tobacco only buys Low Convertor (LC) Tobacco from farmers. LC tobacco has very low levels of nornicotine.
Additionally, Not all Swedish snus is low cancer risk. As far as I know it is only the Ettan brand.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Are there any dependable online retailers that you use?
You won't find any US-based sellers of snus, because chew, dip and snus were outlawed for sale by mail when the Family Tobacco Act went into effect.
Russ

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Additionally, Not all Swedish snus is low cancer risk. As far as I know it is only the Ettan brand.
Swedish Match introduced the Gothiatek standard in 2000 which involves heating of the snus blend to at least 90 degrees Celsius for a period of time long enough to reduce bacteria naturally occurring in tobacco. All Swedish Match products adhere to this standard as do most other snus manufacturers.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
i read too that snuff only has one case of cancer, because a guy used to put some in his ear, and that turned into cancer.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I found that another local gas station carries General Snus, and I picked up a can of Original White today. The Swedish stuff is far better! There is a the taste of tobacco, a little smokey, some salty notes, and then a nice bit of bergamot. It just works some how, I don't think I'd have ever put these flavors together but they are really nice. It has a bit more in the nicotine department, but it is not overwhelming. I am tempted to not even finish the can of the Camel Snus, its no where near as good as the General. Also finding that the General lasts for about two hours while the Camel was done in about 30.

After looking at a few Websites I think I'll stick to what I can get domestically for a little while as the shipping is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.