PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I love my pipe and pipe tobacco but also very much like snuff. It's also cheap being free from tobacco tax.

My Aunt always took snuff.

My favourites are Wilsons & Co. (Sharrow) Ltd - Best SP and honey and menthol

reat snuff and a must for smokers Review by George

I used to be a snuff taker in the past, but for some reason stopped using it. I am a pipe smoker also coming back to the pipe after a period of not smoking. I find it’s not always convenient to smoke a pipe but still need good old vitamin N! So decided to go back to snuff taking. I still have my silver plated snuff box. The internet said that one of the best snuff makers is Wilsons of Sharrow and as Carey’s only sell this brand decided to add it to my order of tobacco.

In fact I ordered three types of snuff with my tobacco order; this Honey and Menthol snuff, Best SP snuff and Crumbs of Comfort. I will be reviewing them in due course,

Why oh why did I ever stop taking snuff? It’s a great product and I have taken to it again like a duck on water. This blend Honey and Menthol is great; you get a fabulous tobacco hit with the great addition of menthol. I will defiantly be ordering more of this fine snuff in the future. If you have considered buying this product but were holding back my advice to you is go on give snuff a try, and what better product to start with than this Honey and Menthol.

Due to the new rules honey and menthol is renamed Bee Cool Snuff.

What's your views?

May 4, 2015
I like nasal snuff quite a bit. It's not readily available or popular in the US, and where you can find it at a B&M, it's really expensive.
It takes some practice to get the technique right, and you take it in too far, it can be a painful, eye-watering experience!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I used snuff for years, but have since stopped. I was placing an order with Mr. Snuff nearly every month. My favorites were almost all the Sir Walter Scott's (especially Havana Toast), all the Old Mill offerings (especially Dreamcatcher), Hedges, 41 Photo White Elephant, most of the Dholakias, Wilson's of Sharrow Irish High Toast 22 along with their SP's, Starr, F&T HDT, Toque (Spanish Gem, Quit, Bacon & Cheddar, and Apricot)... and on and on. I went through nearly all of them.
All said and done, the only one I have taken in the recent past is Viking Thor's Hammer. I loved the stuff and still get a hankering for it here and there. I stopped when I transitioned to snus and eventually came full circle back to the pipe a few years ago. :puffy:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Snuff can be fun. I find the whole effort of cutting lines with a razor blade and having to roll up a $20 bill can get you some strange looks in a bar! :rofl:

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
New to pipe smoking but have been enjoying snuff for some time. Honey menthol, crumbs of comfort, and SP are some of my favorites. The one I love most is Santo Domingo from Freibourg & Treyer. Its a very earthy and woody snuff made of high quality tobacco. Really wonderful stuff.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
I use mentholated snuff in the summer months to help with hay fever otherwise F&T's High Dried Toast and Dr JR Justice are my favourites. I came to snuff about ten years ago and it helped me cut down my cigarette intake, I now have enough to last me a life time and along with snus is a great way to use to use tobacco when you cannot smoke.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
So when you say snuff, do you mean the kind that you snort up your nose? I ask because Copenhagen and skoal are also called snuff; but are dipped.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife knew P.J. O'Roark when he was a student, and she went to a snuff party he hosted. O'Roark is a political writer and humorist. He had quite a season of snuff using, but I don't know if he still does it. Don't know the guy. He was a Conservative for years, but more of a contrarian; I don't think he hews to a particular party or ideological line. Sort of an iconoclast (image breaker). Seems like snuff might not be a good idea for anyone with allergy or sinus congestion. There's a whole art genre of snuff boxes from the 18th and 19th Centuries, beautifully crafted in silver, various other metals, wood, ivory, etc. They are collected and go for thousands.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
So when you say snuff, do you mean the kind that you snort up your nose? I ask because Copenhagen and skoal are also called snuff; but are dipped.

Copenhagen snuff, although very fine compared to long cut, can be "snuffed" up your nose, but these ones they are talking about are much finer here is a picture of a menthol one that I bought at a pub in Ireland. I had to have a little snuff for good measure..

zEsmZQR.jpg

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
...There's a whole art genre of snuff boxes from the 18th and 19th Centuries, beautifully crafted in silver, various other metals, wood, ivory, etc. They are collected and go for thousands.
My old .830 silver snuff box. Many people have offered to buy it, but it will be buried with me right next to my favorite pocket watch.
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170730/ts2qj5q5.jpg

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Thanks for letting me know. Not sure why this won't work. Is there any way to post a pic directly from my computer or does it have to be hosted? Is there a free hosting site other than Google that I can use?

Status
Not open for further replies.