PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
at a very fair price of $43. I'm hoping to listen to some suggestions from you all about what sort of stem it should have :puffy:
It's a Erik Nording FS, estate obviously
haDGy.jpg

GCmQh.jpg

0eN2r.jpg

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Nice pipe. I was going to try for this, but ended up buying a pipe from another member here. Check out the stems here. Found a couple that I think would look really nice.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Beautiful pipe, man! IMO, a darker amber-colored stem would look magnificent, as it would bring out the subtle brown/oranges around the plateau rim of the bowl. Congrats and happy puffing! :puffy:
-Jim

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
My experience with Nordings is they all have a standard sized tenon. That may not be 100% true, but all of them I've had were interchangeable. If you have another Nording pipe you could switch them each time you use one or the other.

I dont think Erik sells the stems by themsleves and an off the shelf freehand stem will need to be filed to fit.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Cheers all :puffy:
I may be tempted to give in to my impatient nature and try ordering a stem that "should" fit based on that information, lonestar ... I'll look into it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Absolutely great looking briar zanthal, congrats!
And Lawrence, that also is an awesome looking Nording! I have one Nording that is a pretty decent smoker, but it's lower end than either of those.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Thanks, this briar doesn't look like anything I usually see, and I don't think it's just because of how it was made.
The rustication, I just never see rustication that has granules all parallel and vertical like that.
I figure the briar this one was made of was very well aged, or was grown in unusual conditions, dry conditions I'm guessing, but I just don't know. More research is required :puffpipe:
That Nording has great grain and color, Lawrence, and I daresay the shape is a good one for this pipe too. thanks

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Lawrence, did you post a link of a Bjarne in my Nording post, just to prove that you can tell the difference? Ah well, I've been bested by a master. :puffy:
Good link, grizzly86 :puffy:
I found this photo montage on the same site, was interesting to watch the process:
http://www.pipemakers.org/ItalyTour.htm

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I suppose I should disclose the secret to my success. Probably shouldn't, I will probably be counter-sniped in a future pipe auction :rofl: But I don't mind
There's a cool little program out there called Baygenie that will automatically put in a bid on one of your Ebay auctions in the last seconds. I probably would have been outbid if it weren't for it, actually.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
The rustication is sandblast and heres some stems for it, they will need buffing and easy to put a slight bend on one and youn will have a few spares.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mouthpieces-Stems-Ebonite-Briar-Pipes-Code-No7-/190666081458?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c649584b2

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
You know I figured it's not rocket science to bend lucite without collapsing the draw hole, but I hadn't seriously considered looking into it.
thanks tobakenist

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
And to further his iterate tobakenist's point, here's an informative video set to peaceful New Age music:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/vjBvkZD9-cw
learning experience :puffy:
and for all my computer knowledge, I don't see whatever trick you're supposed to use in order to properly embed a Youtube video on this forum.
queue Lawrence ...

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
"I suppose I should disclose the secret to my success"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zanthal, I congratulate you on making that statement, and titling the thread with the word "snipe". That looks like a twinge of conscience to me. You didn't have to make this admission. I don't imagine that there is much harm to the other bidding collectors, as they probably didn't need another pipe, anyway. It is just a colossal waste of any other bidder's time when they never had the slightest chance of winning.
I only participate on ebay in buy-it-now offerings. Ebay auction operation is contrary to all in-person auctions in past American history by closing bidding at a fixed time. Although that practice is good for business, it coincidentally fosters bidders into compromising their individual integrity with snipe software. I'm not a religious nut, but the advent of sniping turned me off to all ebay auctions.
Pardon the soapbox rant. BTW, that pipe is a beauty! Check out the stems at pimopipecraft.com

Status
Not open for further replies.