PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You're flying along the highway out of state, and you see an antique store, junk store, or

flea market that could have pipes. What are some clues that it might have pipes for sale?

I suggest: A restored farm tractor from the 1950's is parked out front; an old Land Rover

from the 1960's is parked out front; there's at least one set of antlers visible from the road;

there are old gas station signs displayed for sale; there's a jon boat for sale; there's an

18-wheeler with its engine running out front; there are army surplus packs and cammo for sale.
Any similar tell-tale signs pipes might be in the inventory somewhere under the old lamps

and Reader's Digest books? Do we apply the brakes or keep on truckin'?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Anything that says "antiques" is worth stopping and checking out. Also, if you don't see any pipes displayed make sure to ask if they have any. You never know what lurks out of sight in cabinets at these places.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I pick up a lot of Older pipes in this manner throughout the summer. Best part is: Here in Nova Scotia, most antique dealers have NO clue what they are actually worth. Usually get em for a fraction of their value.

This one cost me $20.00, lol

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
In Washington it's hit or miss, mostly miss. If you do find something, it's overpriced and usually in bad condition. NS, you're a lucky man.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Anything that says "antiques" is worth stopping and checking out. Also, if you don't see any pipes displayed make sure to ask if they have any. You never know what lurks out of sight in cabinets at these places.
+1 -- EXACTLY
For some reason antique store buyers like to pick up pipes. They seem to buy an entire lot at auctions and estate sales, and then set them up somewhere in the warren or jumble-pile of their "store"... then the pipes trickle out in sales over a long period of time. I guess, as merchandise, they provide the opportunity for an impulse buy... something small and relatively low price that might go out the door (through the till) instead of a customer walking away with nothing.
I have on more than a few occasions, asked the proprietor/lackey whether there were any pipes (after casing the joint and not seeing any) only to have them say something to the effect of, "Oh yeah! Let me go get that box..."
So my rule of thumb on spotting a new antique store is, "If I've got the time, STOP."
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That would have to be the way I end up with a Dunhill, my pipe dream of finding one in an antique store

with a clueless price. Eureka.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
mso489, that is exactly how I got this 1926 Dunhill patent pipe. Paid $10 for it. Keep looking.

From PipePhil site
From 1921 trough 1931 (inclusive) Shells were stamped DUNHILL'S "SHELL" if there was a MADE IN ENGLAND line. When MADE IN ENGLAND was missing they were stamped DUNHILL'S "SHELL BRIAR": this pipe hasn't any MADE IN ENGLAND line.
Other pipe stamped "SHELL BRIAR".

• Value (Estate - Jun 2011):
499.00 US $

flapomalley

Lurker
Feb 8, 2014
My mother owns an antique mall with 80+ dealers, one of the largest in Missouri. If you find a pipe in there, it's only because I missed it!

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
The majority of the pipes in my collection were salvaged from antique shops. I have almost always found them in "male" booths, where the items for sale ranged from old fly fishing reels, hand made fishing lures, old wood working tools, pistol holsters, leather football helmets, knives, and pipes. The cool thing about antique shops is that when I find two or three great pipe deals, I can almost always find a little something for mama-san. That seems to offset the lecture I would normally get for TAD purchases. :wink:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My wife and I are constantly visiting antique shops, and I've only once seen any pipes nicer than the common drugstore pipes. And that one time, they were Dunhills all priced over $200/each. But I keep looking.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.