PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
All,
Was just in Khasab, Oman. Khasab is in the southern part of the Hormuz Strait, its located just 45 kilometres from the Iranian island of Qeshm. “Shooties” a local term for smugglers, take their goods to Qeshm in small speedboats and from there to the rest of Iran.
Travelling between Qeshm and Khasab is apparently dangerous, however, these Shooties only take about 45 minutes to complete the trip. Usually the whole process of going to Khasab, picking up the goods and coming back takes place at night, and the goods reach Qeshm before sunrise.
The shooties smuggle tobacco, clothing, satellite receivers, medicines, household appliances made in Asia and dry food stuffs. [According to Iran’s state-run Mehr News Agency, about $5 billion worth of goods are smuggled into the country every year]. Shooties also take some things from Iran to Oman, for example goats and sheep, Saffron but also illicit drugs like hashish and opium. They also bring along diesel fuel, which is very cheap in Iran, and sell it to passing ships they meet in the busy straight.
The Oman police, it was obvious didn
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>r

m not sure what happens on the Iranian side.
It was fascinating process to watch from the ship I was on which was berthed right next to the piers the smugglers were using. At one point just before sunset about 50 boats left together, loaded down with cargo. Best part was watching sheep being herded off these tiny speed boats. Not sure how you cross an open water with a bunch of angry sheep in the dark :eek:
Wander if any pipe tobacco gets smuggled into Iran
img_2209-600x450.jpg

img_2210-600x450.jpg

Edit: Fixed the pictures. L.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
img_2210-600x450.jpg

Edit: Fixed picture. Right click in the body of the image and "copy image address", then remove the http:// in the IMG button popup. Paste the "image address".... Poof! L.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for sharing, Titus, but your pictures aren't coming through...

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
They were mostly loading, not sure what was in the individual bales. It was so busy with a constant stream of pickups coming and going, the sheep were the only thing that seemed to be arriving, however, it was such a hive of activity it was impossible to tell.
I guess US/UN sanctions don't always work. Not approving of it, but it was fascinating to watch and the fact that no one cared made it even more interesting. I saw a Oman police vehicle drive up and down the lines of piers a number of times and there were a number of Oman police boats moored up not 300 meter's away>_

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I assume this smuggling operation circumvents U.N. sanctions being imposed on Iran.

Don't you have a moral, if not legal, obligation to present this evidence to the State Department?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Don't you have a moral, if not legal, obligation to present this evidence to the State Department?
I bet they know exactly how much traffik comes through. How else would they know if they're getting the right cut ?

10 percent means 10 percent ! Don't make us send drones.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I bet they know exactly how much traffik comes through. How else would they know if they're getting the right cut ?

10 percent means 10 percent ! Don't make us send drones.
If this were Facebook, I would disregard my own safety, and "Like" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.