Smoking While Driving: Doohickeys And Thingamajigs

(33 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mayfair70
  • Latest reply from rigmedic1
  1. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

My ashtray is way too small to accommodate any of my pipes while driving. As a result, I put the pipes in my lap and then forget they are there when I get out of the car. Most of my pipes have huge pits in them now from landing on the pavement. This is not the life I wanted for them. My car is a 2010 Crown Vic Police Interceptor and has no automatic interior lights. I'll rewire to get light for when I open the doors, maybe. I have an idiot light I'm going to stick on the ashtray drawer so I can see where to throw the ashes at night. I also have plenty of holes in the dash for stout screws to affix anything I want to the inside of the car.

I'm thinking of just using a small metal cup with a slot running from the top edge to about the middle. I'll screw that into the dashboard and then set my pipe in it, while the stem rests in the slot facing me. I'm sure there are other Doohickeys you folks use for your pipes in cars, speedboats, airplanes and whatnot. So tell me about, or just show me, your Thingamajigs.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found this http://www.pfeifenkonsulat.at/shop/index.php?a=1024&lang=eng

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Thanks Anthony! That is the kind of thing I am looking for. Now I realize that I have too many different sized bowls for one thing to fit them all. Sides need to be taller, but, that is a good design and I may make use of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

I got several compartments and useful places to put and secure a pipe.
    So luckily dont have to customize the dashboard

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bet you could make something similar out of a sturdy but flexible rubber material (not vulcanite) that you could heat and shape. Being somewhat flexible it could hold different sized pipes snug. Perhaps something like tire rubber or boot and shoe rubber.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How about a 1960's bean bag ashtray? I bet you can Google that.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a metal cigar ashtray that's made to fit in a cup holder. I use softy bits on the two prongs that would hold a cigar. It works great. I've been using it for around 4 years. Here's a link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+cigar+ashtray&client=ms-android-verizon&sa=X&biw=412&bih=652&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=simvn&srpd=16636881888965870633&prds=epd:530481910353357031,cdl:1,cid:1484362625378145251&ved=0ahUKEwipv9Lyqt_WAhXGyFQKHYu0DQgQgTYI7gQ

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

Friend of mine glued a baby shoe on the dashboard, and serves a damn find work for holding a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Bean bag ashtrays on Amazon seem to be crap. Never mind.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. fatbob

fatbob

Login to Send PM

I use a thing called a cigar bobken I bought a while back from
    Cigar Int. Take the top off and any pipe I'm using fits inside the ash reservoir. I think I paid $7.00.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the good ideas and links, fellas. I think I have found a solution and will post pics later.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the link to that shop, Anthony. They do have some cool stuff there.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

While reading Anthony's post I remembered a pipe seller who had pipe stands made from strips of leather. I adapted the idea, and using an old belt which had broken, came up with a solution that is both simple and effective. The first picture is my dashboard with some screws in some of the holes to figure how much room and potential there was. The second picture is a simple loop for holding an empty pipe. The third picture is two pipe holders I'll use, one of which can hold a burning or full pipe. The last picture is said holders holding a couple pipes. I can see that I have the option to add more and better holders as I need or want. Thanks folks for helping me brainstorm and showing all the wonderful stuff I can get in the future for the car. It is MOST appreciated.

Thanks again for all your input !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that's just awesome. Well done

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great solution. In a pinch, a cup holder can be used, with or without a cup. Also the door side pockets.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yo may

In a pinch, just get the paper mache drink holder from McDonald's. Net cost = $o.oo.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, you guys have done it again. Look up Kydex. It is a heat forming plastic that is commonly used to make holsters and knife cases. It is very easy to form and not too expensive. I have some sheets I bought years ago, must find them and test them for making pipe holders.

Also, keep an open mind. Years ago I had a friend who solved the issue of getting rid of empty beer cans from his car. (Ozark hillbilly you understand) His old car was rusty and there were holes rusted through the floor in front of the back seat. To get rid of an empty beer can, just toss the can over the front seat back, into the floor behind it. Out it goes through the holes in the floor. Viola!

He did survive the fire that his ex set when she found him sleeping in that car beside the highway. He woke up in time to exit...

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A ceramic votive candle holder pushed into the small cup compartment lets me rest the pipe upside down. The side passenger sear is, sadly, always empty, so I leave my one pipe carrier, where I keep extra tobacco and lighter and tool rests there; it's too big an object to avoid my gropping hand...wait a minute, we were talking about pipes, weren't we?

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Crown Vic P71 Interceptors are one of the best or the very best U.S make sedans during the last 20-30years-sadly they dropped this model from their model lines,I'd happily have one ordered here unless there weren't present our huge import taxes and shipping fees for newer cars,insted I got cadillac,a tremendous gas guzzler..

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You probably know the Crown Victoria until recently was the car of choice among police departments, the souped up ones, that is. Don't know why the PO
    Icy changed, however.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All of my vehicles I drive have built in ash trays AND cigarette lighters in them. You guys need to stop fooling around with retrofitting your vehicles.. go out and buy and old car/truck...

My 89 Ford F150 has a nice little built in ashtray. Pull the handle down and it unfolds from the dash and a little light comes on.. awesome!

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. jorchamp

jorchamp

Login to Send PM

I use a metal tin which formally held tea. It fit in the cup holder and pipe sits half way in the tin, nice and safe. Easy to put down when needed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I'm loving that car. The last one rolled off the assembly lone in 2011. Thanks for all the input. I may still try some things, but I can hold a lighter and a pipe. So far, so good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Cars have built-in pipe holders, just stick the stem into the air vent...

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ jitterbugdude My kind of guy. I resemble him. Older vehicles are my bag too. Ashtrays included.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are we Oldies?,Just today I replaced a leaking heater core in my buddys Jeep Cherokee 92-tremendous job,it took some 7 hour of continuous work,mission accoplished I was rewarded with a bottle of Jack daniels and some $20..
    next up, my car fuel cauge is showing full tank all the time, a little bit of something to ponder,,

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have a 2016 Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter van. It is outfitted for our disabled veteran son. Of all things it came with ash trays front and rear! I was really surprised at that. Germans...

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good subject.

I have 3 Kleenex boxes that I’ve cut in half and keep them side by side on my passenger seat. These not only act as secure pipe holders (if any baccy spills it lands in the box so no mess) but they are also great for working the tobacco (rubbing out and what not). I’ll try to remember to post pics when I can but this site is a major pita when it comes to that. This is the best method I have found that works for me as I almost always have several pipes rotating during any given session. Smoking while driving is the best! Traffic? Hell yeah, more quality pipe time for me! I’m probably the happiest man in traffic.

Edit* that is a pretty freakin’ awesome method you’ve worked out there!

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. recoilrob

recoilrob

Login to Send PM

The ultimate....

"Lady Bracknell: ...Do you smoke?
    Ernest: Well, yes I must admit I smoke.
    Lady Bracknell: I am glad to hear it. A man should always have an occupation of some kind."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

auburnfan

Login to Send PM

Mayfair, I have a 2003 Mercury grand Marquis that I drive from time to time. It has virtually the same set up as yours. I'd be willing to purchase your product if you are in the mood to produce?!

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mayfair, I have a 2003 Mercury grand Marquis that I drive from time to time. It has virtually the same set up as yours. I'd be willing to purchase your product if you are in the mood to produce?!

I've got two screws and an old belt I can cut up for you for $80.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

I've got two screws and an old belt I can cut up for you for $80

Beware of imitations!! I assure you my belt was made of the finest Corinthian Leather from virgin cows who were massaged every day by Nuns and slept in silk nighties.

@Auburnfan - You can cut up an old belt and screw it in the dashboard, as I did. Or, for a measly $8,000 prepaid, I will fly to your town and install my (patent pending) Genuine Mayfair Tobaccomatic Pipeholder. Guaranteed not to rust!

@Recoilrob - Truly fantastic pipe!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple of hard plastic cigar ashtrays, made to fit in a cup holder. I use that for straight pipes. For my bents, I put foil cupcake cups in the bottom of the cupholder, and my bents fit just fine. I would be lost without these new dangled cup holders in my Jeep.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lawayna, dmcmtk, didimauw