PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec13

Lurker
Sep 26, 2012
I recently read a post where someone mentioned they smoke two pipes at once and I thought i heard on the most recent radio show that the host sometimes smokes two pipes at the same time. Is this common? I have smoked back to back bowls of different types of tobaccos but never had two pipes going at once. Just curious to learn whetehr this is common practice. Thank You

mikec13

Lurker
Sep 26, 2012
to be clear - I think the people were saying that they alternated between the two. They were not smoking both at the same time. It does seem odd to me but i havent been at this very long and i read/heard it in the same week so I figured I would ask.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have done that on occasion. Sometimes it's because I am watching a TV program and want to return to it right away and would rather fill a fresh pipe than empty and re-fill my current one.
Sometimes a tobacco or pipe is running hot and I don't want to risk damaging the bowl, so while it cools off, I'll switch to a different pipe.

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I have right now a pipe loaded with Classic Burley Kake, which at about half way down I lost interest. So I then loaded up another pipe with Frog Morton's Cellar, which I am smoking now. I will return to the Classic Burley Kake in a few hours.

Maybe something like this is what they were speaking of?

bassem

Might Stick Around
Nov 20, 2009
smoking two pipes simultaneously at the same time??? That I have not heard in my 38 years of smoking pipes. What probably is meant alternating two smokes with 2 different tobaccos at the same time. something similar to what Mangers is saying.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
How about this. Up for bids on Ebay now. Interesting idea :crazy:

doublepipe.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I don't smoke very often. When I do, I want to try two different blends, ie English / aromatic, or Virginia / Burley, etc. I could finish one bowl, then start the other. But I find that alternating between them helps me to distinguish between the components of the blends.
I understand this is kinda wierd, but it works for me. Also, unless you are consistently setting your beard on fire, there is no wrong way to smoke a pipe. There are just some ways that work better than others.
Winton

mikec13

Lurker
Sep 26, 2012
Winton...you hay have been the one who wrote about smoking two pipes at once...thank you for clarifying why and I love your response about lighting my beard on fire! Fortunately I am facial hair challenged so I do not think that will ever be a problem!

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Sat. Mornings I always have 2-3 pipes going. Because I am undecided about the tobacco or the pipe.

No because I can. Smoke what you like, But LIKE what you smoke!!!!

Jeff

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I do it often. Especially when a bowl gets hot. I'll alternate between the two for a while.

Aug 14, 2012
A determined individual probably can smoke 6 or more pipes at a time. 2 in the nostrils, with custom bits, 2 in the center of the mouth and 2 on the corners. All you need would be a device to hold the extra 4. Rahsaan Roland Kirk used to do this with musical instruments. He played enough of them simultaneously to be his own band. Mostly wind instruments, but cymbals on the inside of the knees. He put 2 flutes in his nose. Rahsaan was a very high level jazz musician, mostly on the tenor sax.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I believe ive had as many as 3 pipes going at once. When i was at the columbus NASPC (?) show i saw many guys out side holding two pipes in one hand alternating back and forth. One guy had to big calabash pipes...mustve been in his 80's smoking both back to back at once.

Reactions: magnumsmoker
Jul 15, 2011
I do it occasionally if I am enjoying smaller bowled pipes, but they often have the same blend in both of them. I'll char light both and then concentrate on one, and when it's done I'll dump it out and either start working on the other one or Ill let it sit for a bit and go do something else and come back to it. Really just depends on my mood.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've done it before but not on purpose; just happened. However, one of the regulars at the B&M, Psycho Bob, will often have 3 pipes going and even a cigar at one time. Hence the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.