PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
After seeing this post recently, I decided to get some twist. Since the thread about nicotine was current, I thought I'd make a small report.
http://www.lilbrown.com/p-9336-cotton-boll-plug-single.aspx

http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/PipesandTobacco.html

http://www.grandfathersspirit.com/Tobacco-Twist-Sweet.html

http://www.gggodwin.com/prod-326.htm

http://www.sweetmedicineshoppe.com/tobacco-twist.aspx
I got the order (just one twist) from Godwin today. I also ordered two more from Lilbrown, of Cotton Bole, that's not here yet. After preparing and loading I went slow because I was forewarned about the strength. Since I quit the cigs 22 months ago I'm not sure what my nic tolerance is anymore. Anyway I lit just one side of the bowl to keep the ember small, and with the first few small puffs my tongue had a sensation like no other blend I've tried. I can say the nic hit is strong enough to be reminiscent of some other stuff I smoked a lot of a long time ago. Laughing...and twist is legal in my state...I think. The only thing I'm going to change is to hydrate it in a jar for a while because it's very dry and too big a puff is really harsh to your throat...and that's all I have to say about that.

img_1163-600x400.jpg

img_1164-600x400.jpg

img_1165-600x400.jpg

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I've been scared to purchase such things. I really like the concept though. Like plugs I like those too. When I first got into plugs I could just hold them in my hand for hours like a school boy and a frog.
However, been steering clear because all the reports on strength. I appreciate the sharing of these kinds of tobaccos as I hope it will give me the courage to jump in :). Have you bitten off a chunk and chewed it yet? I've done that with a ten Russians plug, but I guess that would be called a cake? Well I ate it too. Don't tell anyone though because I didn't think it was bad at all :)
Appreciate the photos too, thanks!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I haven't put ANY chewing tobacco in my mouth since I tried some chew when I was 11 years old and left my lunch outside. :oops:

Cotton Boll is the absolute strongest thing that I've ever encountered. It is made from a strain of tobacco that is legendary. It is from an archeological seed sample that is the closest to what the Native Americans were smoking. It's called rustica.

I like it very dry, and sipped very slowly. I like it in a medium sized bowl to get the full flavor, but I've never been able to smoke it down to the bottom of the bowl, but instead I just smoke it till my eyes get droopy and ready for bed. It's not an everyday smoke or even a once a day smoke. Just when I know I will need help getting some sleep. It also helps to take bites of dark chocolate while smoking to keep your sugar up.

But flavor-wise it is delicious, deep dark and robust like a strong cigar.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I will echo Cosmic on the rustica. I've never tried it but from what I've read " a dab will do ya" http://sustainableseedco.com/rustica-tobacco-seed-types/

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've been a fan of strength for some time, but in the end I thought Tambolaka plain, albeit strong; Cotton Boll is also described as plain on TR and the strength ratings range from stronger than unflavored rope to off the charts. Normally I'd have bought it already, but I have plenty of strong tobaccos to smoke, so maybe not this time.
But CB is an education; I thought there was nothing stronger than rope.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I took a long time to finally order some G&H Irish Black X, which is somewhat milder than the brown, but still substantial. I had to slice, rub it out, and dry it for a while to get it to burn well, but once I did, it was much less menacing that I had expected. I did smoke it in a small bowl and went easy until I got the sense of it. I find it less harsh than aromatic blends with all kinds of flavorings afire; that's what really gets my gums burning. The twist also mixes admirably with other leaf to give other blends a charge. I'm glad I tried it. It was some kind of masochism trip, but a good pipe smoking experience.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Haven't tried the Cotton Boll but it sounds good. I've just eased myself into ropes with some G&H Sweet Coconut Twist that I'm enjoying as an end-of-the-day smoke.
@deathmetal, really enjoying the blog! Came for the tobacco, stayed for the metal.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
UPS brought my Cotton Bole today and I cut up a bowl's worth right away. It's not as dry, and not as harsh on your throat, as the twist I got from G. Gedney Godwin. The nicotine didn't hit as hard from the CB either....so far. :puffy:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Thanks for the post Stan,

I ordered some of the Cotton Bole tonight! Been looking for a way to try the rustica strain. This fit the bill for me!
Cosmic, How did you obtain your info Sir?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I got inspired by the Twist subject to pull out some 8 month old Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Happy (Brown) Bogie. Fresh of the counter it was a little harsh but after about 3 months it smoothed out pretty good. It still delivers a great Nic hit and one of the more pleasant ones.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Gona visit the city this weekend where a nice little tobacconist hides! I'll be buying some twist and plug for sure. The ebst thing about buying stuff that ain't in a tin is you get to shove your snout in the jar first. :D
I do like the nicotine buzz, especially when smoking a strong baccy in the morning to keep any niggling cravings at bay until later, it can get pretty intense. Sadly my nicotine tolerance is high and I haevn't had the spins in months.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.