PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Do you agree with that, or does calling it an art sound pedantic in your opinion?
It's very common where I live.
No judgements, just want to hear you guys' opinions on the way people look at pipesmoking.
"Art", "habit", or doesn't matter?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Doesn't matter. For me it's something I do, not a hobby, but perhaps habit is the right term. There could be a bit of artistry in the overall deal- tobacco choice, prep and smoking.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
I don't consider my ability to burn tobacco in a piece of wood art.
I do appreciate the aesthetic of pipes and accessories as I would art or good craftsmanship.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I do not think preparing a pipe or smoking a pipe is an art. There might be a meditative aspect to it but not an art. To me an art is creating something. Making a pipe would be an art. Maybe blending tobaccos could be an art.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some here take it to the level of OCD. Others simply enjoy their pipes as an adjunct to their live. Some even accord mystical properties to the pipe. For others it is an affectation. Then there are more than a few of us who acknowledge the pipe to be a grand way to feed our nicotine addiction. But, art? I think not!

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Some here take it to the level of OCD. Others simply enjoy their pipes as an adjunct to their live. Some even accord mystical properties to the pipe. For others it is an affectation. Then there are more than a few of us who acknowledge the pipe to be a grand way to feed our nicotine addiction. But, art? I think not!
I too personally don't think of it as art. Anyone can think the way they want, but it seems that the way of thinking about it among Brazilian cigar and pipe smokers include acquiring some type of status by taking it as an art and enhancement in "culture". By adopting a habit that feels somewhat foreign (pipesmoking is growing) and taking it seriously. I've never bothered though, just an analysis of what I've witnessed. There seems to be a social and historical background behind that. Ours is a culture with a need to feel superior through social upgrade and I can understand that feeling.

Jan 8, 2013
I can certainly say that the creation of a pipe, especially the hand shaping of a pipe to be art, in my opinion. But "the art of pipe smoking," is simply a figure of speech. It's a learned skill, certainly, but not really art.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never put much thought into it. It's just another way to enjoy tobacco for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes. Big disconnect when "art", "artistic", "work of art" and "artist" are used interchangeably. A pipe can be a work of art, but not necessarily. It can be made by an artist, but not necessarily. And so on and so forth and scooby dooby do...

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I would say anything may be done artfully (that is, with exceptional skill and gracefulness), but that does not mean any occupation is an art in and of itself.
Ever seen an expert split firewood? It's incredible to watch someone inspect a piece of wood, line it up on the block, and split it cleanly with one stroke of an axe. Maybe even beautiful. But that doesn't make splitting kindling an art, per se.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Making a pipe or blending tobacco is indeed an art, at least to those of us that can't do it. Filling a pipe with tobacco and smoking it, no.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Art can be applied to activities that aren't inherently producing art. I've watched guys laying concrete driveways that are definitely at the art level, though the driveway isn't experienced as art, just a well done driveway. Cooking is first of all preparing food to eat but often verges into or embodies art itself. Getting along with family is definitely art, though you'll never see it in a frame or on a pedestal or presented in an orchestra hall. Various graceful animals and some people are living art.

Aug 14, 2012
Art is related to the words artificial, artifice. It originally meant something which reproduced reality, such as a painting of a person. After the 19th century the meaning changed. Because of photography, painting was no longer expected to represent reality. The word art came to mean something which satisfied an inner need, of both the artist and the viewer. I have trouble seeing well laid cement as art, but in the trump era, words no longer have meaning. Say anything, call something anything; nobody will believe you. It seems we are experiencing a breakdown of verbal communication. So if you want to call your fart art, it is OK.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I feel that crafting pipes and creating the blends we smoke is a art but the actual packing and smoking id consider more a skill just my 2cents

Status
Not open for further replies.