PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peace

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
Hi all,
A quick question. My wife and I have a rule about not smoking indoors because of the kids. We live in Canada and the cold months are getting here soon. I know that in cold weather, smoking a meerschaum is out of the question, I know that briars are okay (I've seen people smoking briars in very cold weather). But what about corncobs? Can they handle it?

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Yes, corn cobs are very forgiving, I smoke them when I am hunting in the dead of winter. Even your meers would be ok if you don't go from cold to hot, it is the changing of the temperature that splits them. If you smoke them in the cold, keep them out in the cold till they rest.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
A cob can handle anything! Cold should have even less effect on a cob that it does a briar!

I spent 15 years in the Chicago area and used alot of cobs during cold weather. I am SO happy to be back home again!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Buy a garden shed, insulate it very well, put a heater in there, an old comfortable armchair with a little side table and a bookcase on the wall. Problem solved!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Strongirish is correct about the sudden temperature change that can crack

Meerschaum Block. Awhile back, I read the post of another cold weather

Meerschaum smoker, who reported that his Pipe colored a mottled grey after

smoking the Pipe, from start to finish in -4 deg Fahrenheit (-20 deg Celsius.)

I have no direct experience with this extreme in temperature smoking, so

I can only report this second hand. These days, I hang around the fire in

winter...

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Having been in a nonsmoking dorm room last winter, and being in the middle of the midwest I should say that smoking in the cold really doesn't have too much bearing on the Briar or Cob itself, but more of how long you're willing to stand outside in the bitter cold. Quite frankly I think I smoke less in the winter just because I'd rather be warm.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I smoke more in winter since I am in Florida. It is pretty darn hot here most of the year.
Winter time is when we turn off the air conditioner and open the windows ... for a month ... maybe.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Same here in Vegas, sure the summer gets more than a little toasty, but there is no snow and the temps hardly get below 50-55 here. But that is one reason why I moved here, to not have a use for the snow shovel anymore. We have about a 4-5 month break from the nasty a/c bills that summer necessitates.

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Winters have been fairly mild in coastal CT since I moved here. I'm out looking at the stars in the winter, so why not smoke a pipe too? That's the plan, anyway.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Yep, I only smoke out on the deck, so I'm going to stick to a pipe with a regular/small sized bowl so that I'll only spend 15-20 minutes outside each night.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I started thinking about this recently, and I think I'll have to clear a spot in the garage and smoke out there. If it's not windy or snowing, I can even open the garage door to star gaze if you can call it that. There is soooo much light pollution here that if I see a few stars I consider it a good night.
-Jason

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
The garage is my usual haunt, but tonight I'm sheltering from the rain on my back step. It's not too cold and there's no wind, but there are no stars to look at, either. Good thing I've got pipesmagazine to look through.
Simon

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I will be stuck outside in the freezing weather that is sure to come... I just bought an outdoor heater though, so hopefully it keep me from freezing to death!
I plan on just smoking one of my beater pipes when it is cold out, that way if something breaks I won't really care.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
To paraphrase ChuckW I think it was. We have Nearly Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and February.

If it is cold out, and I have to be out in it, out comes my Ben Wade Calabash. It's absolutely perfect for warming my hands.

Ben Wade Calabash
But, I don't think my smoking habits change.

And, I think that the richer Cavendish blends seem to taste all the better for the cold air flowing into the bowl.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
peace wrote-very cold weather). But what about corncobs? Can they handle it? Just remember the golden rule of not allowing the temperature to swing rapidly because it will cause expansion or contraction to quickly.

peace

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
So in other words Ernest, I should let whichever pipe I wanna smoke outside for a few minutes prior to lighting it, and let it rest outside after before bringing it in?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just don't enjoy smoking outdoors very much -- in any weather. Smoking while driving is OK, but it presents some PITA's too.

Fortunately, The War Department, to borrow Pstlpkr's metonym, allows me to smoke in the basement all the time, thus making

Chicago's weather a non-issue.
(The only pipe that ever burned-out on me, a Medico bulldog (and my first-ever pipe!) did so on a cold, sleety, blustery day.

The ember burned right through the bottom of the bowl, and I was oblivious to what was happening because of the cold.

That'll never happen again! )

gbpackers

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
Re Fred posting - others: Does anyone have any update on why a Meer would turn grey from smoking it in the cold? What would be the coldest that one could smoke a meer outside without doing damage or cracking it? Some in this thread spoke of resting the pipe and/or warming it up in their hands prior to and after going outside. How long should it be warmed in the hands so that it doesn't crack from swings in temps? How long should it rest outside before bringing it in? And if I leave the pipe to rest out in the cold, doesn't that, in itself, run a risk of cracking the pipe because of the cold?
I've resurrected my pipes after almost 30 years. Since then I've gotten married and had bunches of kids, so smoking in the house will probably not be an option. However, it sure is very pleasurable to smoke my meers once again! I suppose I should purchase a smaller sized meer for winter use.

Status
Not open for further replies.