Smoking On An Empty Stomach (Is it really that bad?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

palictyton

Lurker
Feb 28, 2016
It has been my experience that if I ever get the dizzies its only after a meal. In fact, my favorite times to smoke happen to be when I haven't had anything to eat in quite a while.
For instance:
First thing in the morning (possibly my favorite)

Taking a brain breather at work

Late, late at night

Instead of lunch

After or even during exercise (I know...)
Have any of you ever noticed that smoking right after eating brings on the spins?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've gotten nauseated a few times and it has always been from my first bowl of the day before breakfast. I was usually smoking a heavy nic blend like OJK or Big & Burley.

palictyton

Lurker
Feb 28, 2016
derfargen, I really like your signature, in respect to this, think you might of missed some of the the Preprocessor directives.
Cheers :D

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It has been my experience that if I ever get the dizzies its only after a meal.
Normally, for most at least, the opposite is true. I've been a cigarette smoker for the past 50+ years and always light up one the first thing in the morning, but I also smoke cigars and the mere thought of lighting up a stick on an empty stomach in and of itself is enough to ma nauseous. Everyone's metabolism is different and how they can handle smoking, whether it be a pipe,cigar or a cigarette can obviously vary. Whatever you're comfortable with is all that really matters.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I find the "have a sandwich" advice relevant when you are basically out of juice, and the Nicotine overwhelms you.
Of course, I like this sensation, and when I'm that tired/hungry, pretty much anything will make me worn out of sick, including paperwork.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Never had any nicotine rush with pipes, a little headache sometimes. Happened a couple of times with fuller cigars tho.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I smoke EMP in the morning, specifically for that reason. It's light enough on the vitamin N, yet it still satisfies as a good morning tobacco. It also goes really well with my morning coffee, before or after a bite of breakfast.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People have different tolerances, and at different times as well. Sufficient hydration and at least an adequate meal often make a pipe more enjoyable. Some people have no problem, any strength tobacco any time of day, with or without liquids or foods. Most of us like a little sustenance and beverages to enjoy our pipes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Depends on the blend, I always smoke early morning pipe in the winter and El ricon de la pipa #1 on an empty stomach with my morning coffee, never had a problem

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I usually get up at noon, walk my dogs, have some nice tea and a bowl...Then eat something real around dinner time ...
I stay late over night with a few more bowls, tea, nuts and fruits.
The only thing possibly drivers me dizzy is unfermented Pu'er tea ...

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I usually need an empty stomach to get a nicotine buzz from the pipe. In fact I often smoke a pipe when I haven't eaten, for this very reason. I still smoke cigarettes so I am not as sensitive to nicotine. But on an empty stomach, with a bowl of Erinmore Flake or something else reasonably strong, the slow swell of the nicotine build-up is rather pleasant and satisfying. Burley works best for me. Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky is good, even if I've had a little to eat.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Probably helpful if what you're smoking is particularly strong. I've never gotten nauseated from any pipe tobacco. However, I'm about to crack a pouch of Five Brothers, so we'll see. I've had a few cigars put me down for the count though.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I only smoke aromatics on an empty stomach. Anything else I make sure I've had a snack at least before. I've gotten the dizzies and what not from trying to smoke Luxury Bullseye Flake on an empty stomach before.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I find NOT smoking on an empty stomach to be particularliy disconcerting. Then again, NOT smoking on a full one is about the same. :wink:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Folks, the feeling of nausea happens in the brain. The stimulus that triggers it can come from numerous places throughout the body, for example eyes (reading while in a moving car does it to some people), ears (vertigo, dizzyiness from spinning around), stomach (hunger, overeating, food poisoning), or colon (urgency to defecate). It can also come from the binding of oxygen in the blood reaching the brain. The latter is why nicotene makes people nauseaous. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the stomach is full or empty. Why there can appear to be a correlation with some people is because being hungry or overfed may already be sending nausea trigger signals to the brain, but not enough to cause real nausea, so the nicotene adds an additional trigger, and the two together conspire to cause nausea.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke on an empty stomach all the time. I however do not smoke things like Irish Flake when stomach is empty. In the mornings as a first smoke of the day, it is a lighter Va flake, then I usually move up the strength ladder as the day goes on. After dinner is when I smoke my stronger blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.