PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dntrose

Lurker
Mar 10, 2019
I just bought another cayuga pipe from Paul's pipe shop in Flint Michigan and designated it for nonaromatic tobacco. I am currently smoking Virginia # 1 and English Morning Smoke blended by Dan at his store from the same pipe.

What are your thoughts about smoking these tobaccos in the same pipe?

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Go with personal preference. Experiment, have fun, and fear nothing. :)
People seem to dedicate pipes by family, namely Orientals, Aromatics, and All Others. A few dedicate a pipe to a specific blend. Others have pipes specifically for multi-genre smoking, which can yield wonderful surprises.
What you may find is near-universal agreement that blends with Lakeland intensely ghost pipes and ruin any other blend smoked in them.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I should have said this as well: No matter what you end up trying, a good pipe cleaning, a little everclear, and a few bowls of Carter Hall will absolve your pipe smoking sins and exorcise all ghosts from the pipe.

dntrose

Lurker
Mar 10, 2019
Thanks, I wanted to make sure that I didn't ruin a nice pipe being a novice.
I have found that the Virginia and English tobacco have a fuller body and more flavor than aromatics, does anyone have suggestions for other English tobacco brands?

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
G.L. Pease’s Quiet Nights and Westminster are great, give them a shot!

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Depends on personality type and tastes, sir. Some people have very fastidious tastes and don’t like the crossover. Some, like me, find it interesting. And some keep spreadsheets of everything they do. There is no “right or wrong.”

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Of course I agree with the do as you please and such. However I will only smoke blends with any amount of Latakia in pipes dedicated to English and Balkan blends. I'd sooner smoke a Va. or Va/per in an aro dedicated pipe than one thats had latakia in it. I used to enjoy a nice latakia ghost but no more and mb in my head but I find no amount of everclear and carter hall will fully excercise the ghost...

64alex

May 10, 2016
1. Wipe the bowl with paper towel and run a pipe cleaner right after finished smoking.

2. Right after that run 30 sec under warm/hot water,

3. When dry wipe one last time the bowl with paper towel and a run a pipe cleaner.
If you do this after each smoke you will never had a ghost even with the most ghost prone blend.

To be honest I only smoke a couple of bowls a week so I can do this easily and I recognize that if you smoke multiple bowls a day this might not be practicable. But it really avoids any issue with ghosting. My take is that keeping a pipe as clean as possible is good as it gives a better smoke. But this is just my opinion and others might think differently, whatever you od is ok as long as you have a pleasurable smoke for you.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
If you do this after each smoke you will never had a ghost even with the most ghost prone blend.
Except Lakeland. That damned perfume attaches itself to evert briar atom it can. Needs a lot more effort to disappear.
If you’ve ever broken a bottle of perfume in a room, you know what I’m talking about.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Except Lakeland. That damned perfume attaches itself to evert briar atom it can.]
Even with Lakeland unless maybe you smoke only Lakeland on that pipe in which case you would not need to clean to start with. Also I have to admit I rarely use briar but mainly clay, meer and morta which makes the cleaning easier than briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lakeland aromatics are the most ghostly. Some feel the same about any Latakia, or strong Latakia. People who are especially sensitive and/or particular prefer to keep genres of tobacco separate and designate pipes for each. I'm pretty reckless and don't worry about it, though I don't smoke Lakeland aromatics, more a why-bother? than a categorical rejection. If I did, I'd designate a cob. Suit your own tastes and personality.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I smoke all type of blends in my pipe and none of them have ghosted a pipe to where I've noticed. I keep the cake to a minimum and always wipe out the bowl with a paper towel or tissue and briefly rinse in warm water.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you want to get the most flavors from the Virginia, smoking English blends in the same pipe is not the best idea. If you don't care about tasting all you can and enjoy mixing your Virginia with English then keep at it.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I dedicate a few pipes to certain blends. Most pipes are kept to certain genres. It is all a matter of personal preference.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I tend to smoke VaPers, English, Balkans in the same pipes. I don't seem to notice anything other than the current tobacco being smoked. I do clean the pipe/bowl after each usage with a pipe cleaner.
As always, to each their own. As long as you enjoy it, that's the important thing. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.