PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Does the soyacandles help against the tobacco smell? Or do you have any other tip on how to minimize the tobacco smell when smoking inside

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have an air purifier with ionizer I use, in addition to various candles. In addition, I am in and out of my house a lot, and often leave the doors/windows open with the screens down. But unless I have smoked a cigar, or a heavy latakia blend, neither I nor my family can smell it beyond an hour or so.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Yes, I have considered those air purifiers. The winter is coming fast, I might have to invest in one

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I once owned a place that was upscale coffeehouse by day and live music/bar at night. Smoking was only allowed during nighttime hours. My daytime customers wouldn't show up if the place reeked of smoke and beer. We opened at 6am and it needed to smell like a coffehouse. I bought an ionizer for my 1500sq ft cafe. Most of my morning customers had no idea we served liquor and allowed smoking at night because it worked so well... And we're talking about crowds of 100+ people all smoking till 2am. It worked that well and this was a very wealthy upscale clientele. You can buy one off amazon, a good one that'll clean 2000sqft of space for around $500 or less and smaller ones for even less. They are so totally worth it.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
The candles do help, but they don't make the smell go away, they just cover it up. The soy candles and the ones specifically targeted at tobacco smoke seem to work better than the garden variety candle from, say, Yankee Candle.
I think an air purifier/ionizer is the way to go. I don't have one, but it's on my purchase list.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
When my kids are grown and out of the house, I will finally be able to smoke indoors. I have done some research in anticipation, and the air purifier seems the route to go for me so far. Everything else is reported to "mask" the smell, not eliminate it. I'll get back to you in three years.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I smoke inside if it's too hot or cold outside to do so. My wife doesn't mind as she smokes a pipe too. But I seldom smoke more than one bowl a day, and we hardly ever seem to smell smoke residue. One thing that definitely helps is the use of a French Lampe Berger catalytic alcohol lamp using different fragrances in the alcohol. There are other makers that are a little cheaper than the Lampe Berger, but I haven't tried one. You can buy the scented alcohol online or make your own cheaper. These lamps actually do a decent job of sanitizing the air and eliminating odors. Read a little online about them and their history and how to use them, it may be worth you while. Try courtneyscandles.com. They have a pretty good selection and prices.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I recommend this air purifier but be warned it is large. That along with a Lampe Berger does the job but than again I smoke mostly Virginia blends and light Areos. I don't smoke Latakia blends inside.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I smoke in my den and there is never any smell in the rest of the house and only really a little residual pipesmoke smell in the room itself -- pleasant really. I never have a complaint from my lovely bride -- whom we have called Ninja Nose for her extremely sharp sense of smell. (And note, I am smoking almost exclusively English blends with lots of latakia.)
Here are some keys, I think:
* I don't smoke that much. VERY rarely more than one bowl at a time (altho I favor large pipes and often spend 45 to 60 minutes on a bowl) and probably no more than 4 or so days a week.
* It so happens the room does not have an air return to the HVAC system. So with the AC running (it usually is here) I open my window by about 4 inches and I am driving a lot air out of the house and none back in.
* I never leave ash and dottle lying about (see my related thread). Stale ashes smell really bad and are often a chief offender, I think. When I finish a pipe, the remains go immediately into an old pipe tobacco tin with a good plastic lid.
* Brand name Smoke Eater candles really seem to make a difference. If the room ever smells the least bit stale, I close it up and run one of those big candles for a couple of hours.
* Also, thought of this -- there is no fabric in the room. The chairs are all leather. I think fabric can really hold the smell.
No doubt the ionizers can really work. I thought I might get one when we set this room aside to remodel as a den several years ago. It just hasn't proved necessary.

+1 lochinvar, No one in my family can smell anything unless I have smoked a cigar or latbomb.

But, as I was setting in a cigar bar in the mall, I noticed that you couldn't smell any cigar odors in a room with 20+ men all setting around and smoking huge stogies. I asked the owner, and he told me that they kept a 900 cfm inline vent running during business hours. It literally sucked the smoke out of the room without any noise and without notice. So, in my rebuilding the family farmhouse, I am installing one of these ventilation systems. It is $300 for the inline fan, and about $40 in installation vents, tubes, and wire. I have a wall mounted rheostat that I will install, so that we can run it at whatever speed we need, whether it is just me smoking or if my friends come by to smoke. So, for $340 and a few hours, you can create a system that clears 900 cubic feet of air every minute. You can check out youtube for suggestions on how to mount it in your attic to create the least amount of noise, but the new inline vents are rather quiet by themselves. It will also come in handy if we want to cool down the house in the Spring and Summer, or clear the house if we accidentally burn the rice. :puffy:

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I have the floor standing Bionaire purifier which you can get different filters - ie - one for pet, one general, one for smoke etc. It also has an ionizer. I run it on low all day, and overnight I turn it on high. I have a small condo so it works well. I also have a Lamp Berger which I put on for 20 mins after I have a bowl of English or lat forward blend. My wife is a cig smoker so the purifier was more because of her smell. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.