Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Hi guys. So this question has surfaced due to another thread in which many shared that their parents or other family members were always around with pipes in hand.

Now I'm not really asking from the perspective of whether or not you'd want your children to smoke, cause there's a thread already dealing with that.

I am however curious as to whether or not you make an effort to prevent your kids from passively smoking.
While I've been pondering thid I've been limiting my self to lighting up only after my four year old has gone to sleep.
Thanks in advance for sharing.

jolly

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I do not smoke anywhere where a non-smoker would be forced to inhale my smoke child or adult does not matter. I am a outdoor smoker so it is not an issue for me. I have no issue with smoking a pipe, but making others smoke with me is a tad rude in my opinion. Outside I believe is best, either they or I can move so they are not forced to breath the smoke. YMMV.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
When I smoke inside I smoke in my computer room with the door closed with my air cleaner running on my desk. My wife smokes in her room which also has an air cleaner running. Not perfect but it does help a lot because when I clean/replace the filters each month it shows they are definitely doing a good job. This is a drafty old farmhouse so plenty of fresh air circulates in.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My wife knew I smoked a pipe when we met, I smoke in my home, because it's my home. I try not to have my smoke go into my wife's direction, but pipe smoke is part of living with me.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I smoke in the sun room on my back deck usually at night once the kids are to bed. I open the sliding glass doors and puff away. During the day the kids play in there, so if you believe in the evils of third-hand smoke or whatever the heck its called then I suppose they are exposed to that.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I smoke outside when I can, in my study when the weather isn't favourable.

My kids might see me smoking, but don't get exposed to passive smoke.

My study is for me alone, and there's an exhaust fan to keep the rest of the house smoke-free.

I occasionally smoke in my truck, but never when one of the kids is with me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I try not to blow the smoke directly onto the little bandits, but otherwise, they're engaged in a Jack London style struggle for survival and this is part of it. Toughens 'em up.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I usually smoke in my basement which is also my man cave and usually only at night, or in the mornings. I do smoke outside occasionally on the deck as well. My kids are away at college and moved out, so it's really not a concern for me. My wife doesn't appreciate my smoking hobby all that much, so I respect her enough to not do it around her.

haddoken

Lurker
Sep 8, 2015
Jolly - I am in the same boat as you. I wait until my 3 and 7 year olds go to bed. Then I have a moment for myself, outside.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
She's pregnant. So I shuffle off to the man cave or porch. Before she enjoyed it and would partake a puff or two. Otherwise, I smoke where I damn well please.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I care for my 4 year old niece and keep it away from her as much as I can. I smoke outside, and I've answered any questions she's had. Preventing her from having an interest in it has in turn stopped her from being right next to me when I smoke. If I'm doing something where I can't move, I've asked her to scoot a little so I wasn't blowing smoke on her. Generally is an effort to just not have her breathing it/smelling like it. No different than when I have to burn something making sure she is away from the fire and smoke.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
As soon as the science comes in that proves inhaling second hand smoke makes kids healthier than not inhaling smoke, yeah, I'll be there.

roderick

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I have smoked around my kids, but only rarely (when camping or something like that). Mostly I wait until they are not around. I like to maintain the idea that Dad's pipes are more of a kind of nerdy collection. A hobby, not a habit, which mostly it is - I've been smoking a couple bowls a week.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I never smoke near my child, nor near any children at all. And, in fact, I mostly avoid smoking near other people if I don't know they'll be OK with it. Exceptions are usually when I sit somewhere, start packing, and then someone else arrives and sits close by - in that case I assume I was there first, they could easily have seen me and accepted sitting there anyway. And again, this doesn't apply to children. I'll always stop smoking, even mid-bowl, if children are around.
Of course, this means that often I'll be somewhere, feel like smoking a bowl, and end up not being able to, because there are too many people around. But to me that's part of my commitment when I took up pipe smoking. I don't like the smell of cigarettes, and am always bothered when someone simply starts smoking near me. It actually makes me sneeze and my nose clogs up (which doesn't happen with pipes, I assume it's because of the added compounds to cigarettes). So I want to avoid being "that person" when smoking my pipes.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Read this carefully please
It was 3 months ago I went to the doctor with my wife (she is pregnant). I wasn't smoking pipe at that time, I was smoking cigarettes so I grabbed an unopened pack because we were going to be outside the whole day after the appointment. After finishing with the doctor, we were about to leave and the doctor looked to the cigarette pack and said "I hope you are not smoking, because you are going to harm your kid". I explained her that I don't smoke when there are kids or other nonsmokers around. Here is her respond "it doesn't matter if you smoke near them or not, whenever you smoke, the small particles are left on your clothes, and when you hug or play with kids those small particles go to their lungs and increase asthma risk by %30."

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
when you hug or play with kids those small particles go to their lungs and increase asthma risk by %30."
This might have been an anecdotal observation or hypothesis on the part of your DR but the studies do not bear out this out. Asthma rates in families with children exposed to third-hand smoke (what a term) are 12% higher than in non smoking families according to a study of the subject from 2013. Respiratory tract infections were 36% higher though. Perhaps he transposed.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do not smoke in the vicinity of my grandson. In fact I generally do not smoke in any closed area where there are others. If there is company in the house I'll step out on the deck, even in the dead of winter. I consider it to be good manners as the host. After they leave things return to normal.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
My daughter (6) doesn't know I smoke so I await until she's asleep and I smoke on a balcony.

Status
Not open for further replies.