PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
Who all smokes in their vehicle? I am currently going to college and I just started smoking in my car from time to time. I may start smoking on the way to school every day, even if it is only 15 minutes. I was afraid my truck would end up smelling like stale baccer smoke, just like my Dad's (cig smoker) truck, but to my amazement it only smells like freshly baked cookies. :) I smoke with the window down about an inch it the smoke goes straight out the window and doesn't linger in the cab. I think some of my favorite aros leave a better smell than some of those little air fresheners.
So, how many of y'all smoke in your car and do you notice any residual smell?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Many members do as witnessed by THIS THREAD. I, myself, do it very occasionally, usually because I leave too late to get my pipe accouterments together.
-Jason

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I do, I have a pipe I got specificaly for the truck & keep a pouch of something there all the time. The only time I don't is if kids are riding. I do keep an air freshener in it too tho, not a dented one but one of the gel ones that absorbs odors.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Had a burn out in a briar from smoking in the car. The wind was going across the bowl and caused it to burn out on top after about 50+ bowls. Now if I smoke in the car its a cob, and only on long solitary trips, ipod or am radio and pipe. That's all I need.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Honestly smoking on long drives is a must for me. I do not know if I am getting to be a real SOB in my not so old age, or if traveling a lot for work is causing higher stress levels but a pipe is a comfort. In this age when you are expected to multi task a 2-3 hour drive usually means at least one conference call, and several other calls. Smoking while being stuck in the obnoxious traffic on the interstate, and listening to people go on, and on about some minutiae is a blessing. For what it is worth this is one time I smoke aromatics almost exclusively, sometimes switching it up with some PA. Neither seem to leave the vehicle with a stale odor.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Not in my car. Just paid it off, first new car in my life. I'm in my 40's and have a 5 year old in tow so no can do.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Safety advice I picked up here on the forums: avoid using lighters that do not immediately go out if dropped.

Those Zippos are reliable, and the Old Boys are cool, but dropping them while driving could be a nightmare.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I stopped smoking in my car.It seemed to take some of my focus off my driving.My luck the air bag would go off while I had a pipe in my mouth.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I smoke in the car, but never while driving. I use the car when the weather is too bad to be outside.
The smell is not a problem. My car is so old and drafty that the wind clears it out even when it is not moving.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Safety advice I picked up here on the forums: avoid using lighters that do not immediately go out if dropped.

Those Zippos are reliable, and the Old Boys are cool, but dropping them while driving could be a nightmare.
Word.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
As I posted in the other thread, I do smoke in the car unless Momma and Baby are riding with. I keep the passenger side window cracked or the sunroof tilted while smoking. Good ventilation and air freshener spray periodically helps. Don't smoke with the windows up and no Latakia.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I put "wind guards" on my SUV and they seem to help a lot. When I drive my MG with the top down I always use a wind cap so I don't get burning embers in my eyes.

Mar 22, 2012
Funny story.

I was in my Jeep last fall and I was relighting my pipe with my Zippo pipe lighter. It fell out of my

hand and went between the seat and console. I looked down and could see the flame still going. Could not

Get to it with my hand. (OH, S----)

I whipped the Jeep off the right shoulder of the road. Not looking, I jumped out of the car and I went tumbling

Down a ditch. (OH,S---) again.

Cars driving by we're looking at me like I was nuts.

Did a Hail Marry and ran back up the hill of the ditch. Grabed the side step bar and held on for dear life. Trying to reach the

still lite lighter. It was just out of my grasp. Quick, I started blowing with my mouth. Didn't work, just made lite headed.

Finally I ramed my fingers way up under the seat and grabbed a VERY hot flame and lighter and threw the Zippo down

The ditch.

Back down the ditch. Why you ask, I loved my Zippo pipe lighter.

Yes, I burned my fingers and my Jeep smelled like burning plastic for a few days.

Do I still use my Zippo while driving? YES!

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
I do quite a lot. Keeps me from trying to kill people while driving. I dont handle traffic very well and it curbs my road rage.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I smoke while driving all the time. If the wife is with me, then it is something she like the smell of. If I'm alone it is the "stinky stuff". The drive to work is about 1 1/2 hours and I find I remain calmer if I'm smoking and not engaging in road fanatic antics.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Solution is to get a truck for a personal "car". There are never any complaints about a man smell in a truck. BTW my personal car is a Black F250 Crew Cab. The aroma and the leather seating rank up there with any smoking lounge.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I smoke every day twice a day to and from work on my 45 minute drive to the workforce. Relaxes me and its great when in traffic. I dont even yell at anyone anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.