PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I don't recommend this at all. Almost all chewing tobacco is very moist and loaded with sweeteners. Some of the plug types like Days Work could be suitable but it hardly seems worth the effort when so very many fine pipe tobacco blends are available.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Check out some of the Rope and Plug Tobaccos from the sponsors sites.
Slice it, rub it out, let it dry until dried to your likeing, then pack it into a bowl. Sit back relax enjoy the smoke. You may even get a good Nic hit.
John

Can you guys see a picture or link that I cannot? What is the tobacco?
I smoke a few chewing/pipe tobaccos crossovers, twists especially. The old style of twist is what most men, way back in the day smoked. Cotton Boll is one that I love. Better than the GH&co stuff, in my opinion, because it's straight rustica and Kentucky. Stout, but with a really clean, nice tobacco taste, smokes cool, with no bite at all. If you like cigars, I would recommend it. Most of the GH&co offerings have sweeteners added, but even in those, I really like the Coconut Twist.
I would just avoid things with wintergreen, ha ha.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
For whatever reason, I never even thought this would ever come up, but I guess based of the general principle it's doable, as long as it's dried out and cut up it could work. I wouldnt say I'd ever like to try it, but I guess its doable.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I remember my Grandfather used to. He would buy a pressed block called Big Chief or something like that. It was very dry and you needed a knife to cut a piece of it off. He would slice some off and rub it out to smoke it when he had his pipe with him. When he didn't have his pipe, he would cut a section off and chew it. On the tobacco wrapper, it actually said for chewing or smoking. I guess it wasn't to bad, he did it for most of his life..

Reactions: Vod_Villainous

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You can smoke 'Cotton Ball Twist' but the rest of the stuff on the market is loaded with too many sweetness and will be too moist to smoke.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Regular chewing tobacco such as Red Man in my opinion is much too strong to be smoked in a pipe.The one time I tried it was more than enough for me.

Cotton Boll, but anyway... chewing tobacco was just pipe tobacco that the Irish coal miners would chew. Twists, plugs, this is all where flakes came from. But, if you're talking Red man or Beechnut Chew, nah, I'd avoid it. But, if you want a smoke that has some serious nicotine, these old timey twists smoke smooth and bite free. Not an all day smoke, at least not for me, but it's a great way to end the day, especially with friends and a strong cup of coffee.
A fellow forum member sent me this - http://www.lilbrown.com/p-9335-cotton-boll-plug-12ct.aspx and, I am going to ask if The Briary can get this in, because being that they put chewing tobacco on the label, Alabama won't let them mail it to me.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5248/american-snuff-company-cotton-boll-twist

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
The idea was to find a substitute for Tambolaka. I wonder if Macbarens new Kentucky burley blend would do it.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
My Grandma used to chew my smoking tobacco.
She never wore her dentures, and spit into a coffee cup.
She could chew-spit through a tin of my Va/Per in less than a week.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad shared a chaw or two with me when I was ten or eleven, and that served as effective aversion therapy. It set my mouth afire and my stomach cramping, and made me turn a gray-green. I enjoy some of the full strength pipe tobaccos, but I don't think I'll smoke any chaw. I had a friend at work, Ph.D. geneticist who grew up in Oklahoma, who loved his chewing tobacco and took walks with a paper cup for the residue. Don't know why he wouldn't just spit outdoors, but that's what he did. I think chewing tobacco is as addictive as cigarettes or maybe more so.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
zekest, I have put a little pipe tobacco in my lip a few times I wasn't permitted to smoke. Not a chaw load just a little to get down the road. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.